Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 21 2010, 07:41 PM   #16
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Re: Alias just ticked me off badly!!! (Season 3)

I didn't like how they wrapped up the missing two years in just a single episode. I think that was ordered by ABC just like they mandated that season 4 have standalones mainly at the start. Unfortunately those were pretty boring.
Old December 21 2010, 09:32 PM   #17
Othello
Commodore

Hmm... I loved season three myself. I wonder if watching them for the firt time all in a matter of a few days makes a big difference in your enjoyment as compared to over the course of three months.

I'm about 6-7 episodes into season 4 and I am SOOOOO hoping that Nadia ends up making Syd's life a living hell later in the season. I'm not fond of Syd or Jack and want to see their lives really messed with.
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2010, 02:28 AM   #18
Othello
Commodore

And this is why i despise the good guys on tv most of the time.. Just watching that hypocrite Sydney lecture Nadia about trust right after she USED and LIED to her about her birthday dinner in a previous episode pisses me off to no end. Add the ongoing lie she's covering about who killed her mother and I end up rooting for Nadia to kick the crap out fo her and win in the death duel they are eventually supposed to have even if I knwo no tv show would ever have the balls to do something like that.
Old December 22 2010, 05:27 PM   #19
Othello
Commodore

Vaugn KNOWINGLY goes against the CIA and I have ZERO doubt they will find a lame ass excuse to have him suffer no consequences.. more reason I can't stand supposed "good guys" on tv and the movies... cause more often they really aren't and excuses for REALLY bad behavior often gets excused for the flimsiest of reasons and people just accept it like sheep...

Perfect example.. Vaughn goes back to Sydney and say he "couldn't walk away from those he loved".. what a compleet crock of shit.. he just did that with the rouge mission eh went on and shot at fellow CIA agents. bastard should rot in prison for a lifetime but instea dhe'll weasel his way out of it..
Old December 22 2010, 05:37 PM   #20
Othello
Commodore

Just started the double Sloane episode and all i can say is.. man what a bunch of blind morons so easy to play..
Old December 22 2010, 05:41 PM   #21
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Was Alias that show with Ben Affleck's girlfriend and where every second episode a character revealed that he was not who he claimed to be? I remember it being quite crappy and yawn-inducing.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2010, 06:06 PM   #22
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Yep, the one where all the shady types base their operation out of night clubs.
Old December 23 2010, 08:08 PM   #23
Othello
Commodore

Works for me.. finished season four and enjoyed it.. hope season 5 is decent but they have a good starting point with the reveal Vaughn is doing.. now I'm just worried that Nadia (Mia Maestro) isn't going to be on the show uch so once agin I'll likely lose one of my favorite charcters.

I didn't really like how they executed the Sydney vs Nadia stuff.... I would much rather have had her just want to try and kill her cause she pissed her off so much...
Old December 23 2010, 09:51 PM   #24
Forbin
Admiral

Been many years since I wacthed the show, but I remember liking about 50% of it quite a lot, and rolling my eyes at about 25% of the rest.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2010, 12:20 AM   #25
Aeon
Commander

I think all the plans Abrams had for the show started to fall apart when Lena Olin decided that she didn't want to commit to another season or several seasons for that matter.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2010, 04:23 PM   #26
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Aeon wrote: View Post
I think all the plans Abrams had for the show started to fall apart when Lena Olin decided that she didn't want to commit to another season or several seasons for that matter.
I wouldn't necessarily say that's true. I think there definitely was a plan for her character, and her abrupt departure threw a wrench in some of their plans. I think the biggest problems the series faced came from ABC. The network was afraid of a highly-serialized story (remember, this is before shows like Lost came around). The network tampered with the series, insisting that the writers tone down the serialization, do more self-contained stories, dumb down the mythology. The network was afraid of turning off casual and new viewers. The SD-6 double agent storyline that dominated the first season and a half was not supposed to end as early as it did. ABC mandated that they wrap it up.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2010, 06:31 PM   #27
Aeon
Commander

Yes, that's true. If my memory works correctly ABC also sent some notes to the writers about the third season finale. All the papers Sydney found were obviously detailed documents about her life and it was hinted that she was essentially a Rambaldi test subject controlled by Jack. All that was swept under the rug and suddenly the papers only said that Jack assassinated Irina. That was lame.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2010, 11:15 PM   #28
Othello
Commodore

Network executives often fubar a show....
Old December 26 2010, 01:21 PM   #29
Scotty
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Was Alias that show with Ben Affleck's girlfriend and where every second episode a character revealed that he was not who he claimed to be? I remember it being quite crappy and yawn-inducing.
Then you remember incorrectly because for two whole seasons it was the best thing on television. Unfortunately, due to reasons mentioned above, it lost its way. But back in 2001 when it premiered, this was appointment television, along with 24 and The Shield.
Old January 2 2011, 06:40 AM   #30
jbohn
Commander

23skidoo wrote: View Post
By the time they ended the initial SD-6 arc, it had grown ridiculous. Every mission SD-6 sent Sydney on ended up failing one way or another because of her sabotage, and yet Sloane never suspected that she was either a traitor or an incompetent? Why would he keep sending her on missions when, as far as he could tell, she never got anything right??
Don't forget, Sloane also wanted SD-6 taken down, and he suspected Sydney and Jack as double agents for awhile until he finally set things into motion to have the CIA take SD-6 down for him.

At one point (I can't remember the episode or agent) someone was checking Sloane's computer and saw that he had written in an email that he knew the Bristow's were double-agents, but then he removed the text from the email.