To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Closed Thread

Old December 15 2011, 11:26 PM   #781
Mike 1732
Ensign

Re: Starship Ajax

Hey guys,
You've now been out of contact here for eight days.
Kinda worried. Hope everyone involved is OK.
Let us know.
Old December 16 2011, 02:36 AM   #782
J.C. England
Lieutenant

Everything is fine Mike (and others
concerned). We're in a lull, undoubtedly
due to the holidays & cold weather.

As with all the other Fan-made productions,
all the creators have day (and evening)
jobs, but we are still piecing it all together.
Old December 16 2011, 04:39 AM   #783
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Great news JC! I hope to take you up on the chance to be in a show!
Old December 16 2011, 06:30 PM   #784
JimTheBuilder
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to JimTheBuilder

Work on the bridge continues and it's really shaping up.

However...

Ajax got involved with certain individuals who had promised a certain level of sharing and cooperation...and by stopping to help them (with the idea that it would be to everyones great benefit) delayed our work and schedule in the hopes that we would have more set to play with. Work commenced on the hallways, briefing room, quarters, etc, which the other party paid for and even sent a couple of guys to help...but as it neared completion, they packed up all these lovely goodies and absconded. We bent over backwards to cooperate with these guys and got shot in the knees. We still have the bridge, but beyond that we're back to square one. The obvious lesson here is, "Be self-reliant".

...and the budget (for rent of the location) is dwindling. We could sure use a little Christmas miracle right now...

No matter what though, we ARE NOT DETERED!

"He's dead Jim. You get his phaser, I'll get his wallet."
Old December 16 2011, 08:56 PM   #785
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Sorry to hear that - a very painful lesson to learn :-(
Old December 16 2011, 11:33 PM   #786
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Wow... that is awful news. They took the rest of the set you were building? What in space are they going to do with a Star Trek set?
Old December 17 2011, 12:09 AM   #787
Maurice
Vice Admiral

That terrible.

But this is why you always have signed agreements in place when you work with people, even friends, so it's clear who is donating what and who has the right to what.

This is a blow, but I would seriously suggest you guys reassess your approach. Start with a script and build only the sets you need. Don't start with the sets. Exeter's first episode used only a few small sets and a lot of location work. Project Potemkin's first effort uses a bridge and two smaller sets. Make a great story and use what you've got to the max, and don't sweat not having a soundstage full of standing sets.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old December 17 2011, 01:20 AM   #788
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile

So, they built the sets, then came and demolished them? What possible purpose would that serve them? Crazy! Are they planning to rebuild them someplace else or did they just put them in a landfill someplace?
Old December 17 2011, 01:23 AM   #789
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Maurice Navidad wrote: View Post
That terrible.

But this is why you always have signed agreements in place when you work with people, even friends, so it's clear who is donating what and who has the right to what.

This is a blow, but I would seriously suggest you guys reassess your approach. Start with a script and build only the sets you need. Don't start with the sets. Exeter's first episode used only a few small sets and a lot of location work. Project Potemkin's first effort uses a bridge and two smaller sets. Make a great story and use what you've got to the max, and don't sweat not having a soundstage full of standing sets.
^^This.

The other thing to remember, unfortunately, is that fandom tends to attract people with high passions, and when they don't get their way, they are prone to hissy fits such as the ones described, a "fine, screw you guys, I'm going home!" mentality. Definitely, definitely cause enough for the signed agreements Maurice suggests.

As for his other point, that's just common sense production-wise and also an extremely valid point.
Old December 17 2011, 01:28 AM   #790
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

We all need to start playing the lottery...
Old December 17 2011, 02:10 AM   #791
Mike 1732
Ensign

I'm glad everyone's OK.
Also pissed that you got screwed like that.
Even more pissed that I can't help with that 'miracle' right now.
Hang in there, and enjoy the holidays
Old December 17 2011, 03:44 AM   #792
Captain Atkin
Commander

You know, we all love the world of the 23rd Century that Gene Roddenberry created for us. It's just a shame that some of us can't try to follow the examples set by our heroes in that universe. We should all be able to work together on projects like this, in an honest and mature fashion. I hope that everything works out for Ajax, as this is a very worthwhile film project.

Last edited by Captain Atkin; December 17 2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old December 17 2011, 04:06 AM   #793
JimTheBuilder
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to JimTheBuilder

Melonpool wrote: View Post
So, they built the sets, then came and demolished them? What possible purpose would that serve them? Crazy! Are they planning to rebuild them someplace else or did they just put them in a landfill someplace?
Not demolished...just packed up and moved out. They were renting the space next to ours and flaked on two months' rent. The Ferengi in us was hoping they'd fail to come and get the sets, at which time they'd "go up for grabs" on the way to the dumpster, but no such luck. They came in at the last second and bugged out with all the goodies that we helped to build.

To my understanding, this particular individual (who is supposed to be a professional) has burned a number of other Trek bridges (no pun intended) recently with his narcacistic nonsense. My suggestion is that all spurned parties unite in a concerted effort to make one big happy fleet. With all our talents united, there's nothing we cannot do! In the mean time, AJAX needs a new space, on the cheap and fast!

"He's dead Jim. You get his phaser, I'll get his wallet."
Old December 17 2011, 05:43 AM   #794
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Does this shyster have a name we might recognize?
Old December 17 2011, 05:36 PM   #795
Loken
Lieutenant Commander

Alec Peters here. I am part of the formerly 3 person group called "Starfleet Missions" that was renting the other hanger. I run Propworx and am the Star Trek Archivist for CBS.

The group included John Muenchrath (Dr. McCoy from New Voayges) and Vic Mignogna. We were set to do two different projects, a TOS one and a one shot called "Axanar".

We have been building sets on the hanger we rented next to Ajax, and the plan was to all use all the sets. Vic was supposed to pay the rent for October and November, and Doc John even gave him the money. (Being a business person I had an excel spreadsheet showing what each person contributed and was owed since it was a partnership). Vic failed to pay the rent in October and November and thus we lost the hanger.

Vic probably did it on purpose because he wanted to leave the partnership because he (being the total narcissist he is) felt HE was doing all the work, and Doc and I were doing nothing. That didn't go over with John who is writing the script. Vic even suggested that Doc and I fly to OKC to paint the sets, but he was too busy to go. He also only wanted to work on his TOS project so he could be Kirk and hated that we were going to do Axanar since it wasn't about him. Vic is working with Farragut now. His third production, having burned the previous two now.

Vic doesn't care about anyone but himself as anyone who has dealt with him will tell you. He is the single most toxic person I have met in my life. He only cares for himself, thinks he never does anything wrong, takes all the credit and none of the blame. And so he screwed Ajax and Doc John and I.

It should be pointed out that everyone at New Voayage/Phase II hates Vic. His bad behavior is now legendary. Word from Farragut is that John Broughton is already tired of Vic (note John's Facebook posts about dealing with manipulative people - he was specifically talking about Vic).

We were set to use the Farragut sets, but Vic bitched and moaned about me to them and so they went back on an agreement we had agreed to a few days earlier. I blame Mike Bednar, John's partner, for that. He is in Vic's pocket and even shared a private email I sent to them (with my references since I knew Vic was talking shit) with Vic. Vic then went out and bitched at the people who I used at references, one being his former assistant, who has now quit.

OK, so there it is. I don't usually air my dirty laundry in public, but since this affects Ajax, I thought the story should come out. And I can give you a dozen people who will back up my insights on Vic, and another dozen who will tell you I am a pro and treat people right.

Yes, we should all work together. We should all get along. Heck, James Cawley opened up his sets to us so we could shoot "Axanar" there next Fall after Vic screwed us and Farragut backed out on their agreement with us. But some people are selfish bastards who only care about themselves.

I am available by email at alec@propworx.com

Alec

Last edited by Loken; December 17 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Closed Thread