Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 5 2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I'm watching Buffy for the first time right now,

never saw it on tv and didn't have the time to watch it on dvd or so since, and I'd just like to say that I think it's every bit as good as everybody here said. I absolutely love it. I'm in the middle of season 2 at the moment and I think it aged very well, the characters talk mostly like real people, their motivations are believable, and people actually die, the monsters are original, and it's fun. Also, it's impressive how many actors on the show I've seen on other shows/movies since their time on Buffy, the casting must have been extremely good.

My favourite scene so far (and one of my favourite of all time): Spike unceremoniously killing off the "annoying one" as he called him.
Old December 5 2010, 10:11 AM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: I'm watching Buffy for the first time right now,

Yay! Buffy is great! I watched it for the first time about 2 years ago, and I have since rewatched it about 6 times. Enjoy the ride!
Old December 5 2010, 11:00 AM   #3
I am not Spock
Commodore

One of my favourite shows ever, and deserving of every bit of the hype. I just wish I hadn't watched it back at the time it aired, so I could enjoy it for the first time again! Enjoy! I won't spoil anything, but you ain't seen nuttin' yet. It gets really good later on.
Old December 5 2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Wereghost
Commodore

Roger Wilco, you ain't seen nothin' yet!
Old December 5 2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Glad to hear it's getting even better; I'm finally beginning to understand where all this Whedon worship is coming from.
Old December 5 2010, 02:40 PM   #6
saturn5
Fleet Captain

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Glad to hear it's getting even better; I'm finally beginning to understand where all this Whedon worship is coming from.
You LUCKY, LUCKY thing! I so wish I could watch Buffy and Angel again virgin fresh. It only gets better and better from now on. Got yourself to Buffyboards.com and be able to discuss each ep as you watch it
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Mr Light
Admiral

If you enjoy Buffy definitely check out Angel. I actually like that show more (had a bad first season though). Buffy is great.... but the last two years are generally reviled.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2010, 05:10 PM   #8
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
If you enjoy Buffy definitely check out Angel. [...]
To expand on this recommendation, Roger Wilco, Angel spins off from Buffy at the beginning of Buffy's fourth season. There are great reasons to watch both concurrently if at all possible (i.e., great crossover episodes become epic when watched back-to-back).
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2010, 05:23 PM   #9
McCoy
Commodore

When Buffy was first on, I avoided it like the plague because, although I love the vampire genre, it was based on that valley girl vampire movie, so I dismissed it as teen dreck without giving it a chance. Years later my boss is raving about it, so I gave it a chance. Now I own the Chosen box set.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2010, 06:01 PM   #10
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

I've been watching Buffy and Angel for the first time myself this year on my Xbox via Netflix. I just finished Buffy a few weeks ago. I very much enjoyed the whole series. Excellent show.

Angel is pretty good too (about to start the 5th and last season soon), though it has a different feel to it.

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
To expand on this recommendation, Roger Wilco, Angel spins off from Buffy at the beginning of Buffy's fourth season. There are great reasons to watch both concurrently if at all possible (i.e., great crossover episodes become epic when watched back-to-back).
I suggest using this page as a guide for watching the two shows concurrently.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2010, 06:56 PM   #11
saturn5
Fleet Captain

If you enjoy Buffy definitely check out Angel. I actually like that show more (had a bad first season though). Buffy is great.... but the last two years are generally reviled.
Don't listen to that, the Faith/Angelus arc is my favourite in the entire show!
Old December 5 2010, 07:30 PM   #12
Mr Light
Admiral

I meant the last two years of Buffy. I loved every second of Angel S2 through S5!

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2010, 07:34 PM   #13
RoJoHen
Awesome

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I agree. I watched them back-to-back, alternating between the two with every episode, and it was pretty amazing some of the parallel stories that they came up with. Once you get through Angel Season 2, you can stop doing that because the crossovers get toned down quite a bit, but for the first couple seasons it's really awesome watching them together.
Old December 5 2010, 10:36 PM   #14
saturn5
Fleet Captain

I meant the last two years of Buffy. I loved every second of Angel S2 through S5!
Season 6 maybe dips a little but still the best thing on TV
Old December 5 2010, 11:00 PM   #15
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Not as "generally" as you think, as I am one of those who love the last two seasons. Season 6 is actually my favorite season of Buffy. And I'm not the only one.

It is more accurate to say that late seasons are very controversial. The show got a lot darker, edgier and took some real risks with the characters. Buffy is a show where characters aren't static, they all change and develop. Some people think that the show 'jumped the shark', others (like me) think it got better.

But overall, Buffy was great throughout, with only season 1 being weaker than the rest, but still quite good.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote