RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,699
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 674
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 27 2012, 02:58 AM   #1321
Captain Qwert Jr
Captain

Re: Mass Effect 3

It's clearer why it sucks now at least.

I knew something was up in ME2, when instead of continuing a Great Romance, I was blown off by my choice in ME1...and not in a good way.

There was no overarching theme. It had great elements, and I think a decent theme can extrapolated from what was given, but what they chose was still just too random. It could have just as easily been revealed that the Trix Rabbit was behind it all. 'If humanoid life wont let me have My Cereal, that has My freakin' name on it, then humanoid life must go!'
Captain Qwert Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 03:55 AM   #1322
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Just read that the DLC allows you to refuse the final offer my 3rd renegade character will like that.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 05:05 AM   #1323
HotRod
Commander

Ok, ya know what? I'm satisfied! Never thought I would say it, but I am. I went with Destroy just because I could not allow the Reaper to continue in any way, shape or form. And as long as the 2km tall death machines were still flying around, that threat existed. I feel horrible for what happened to EDI and the Geth, they did not deserve their fate. But, the needs of the many...... Still, I feel horrible and in my mind, EDI and the Geth somehow may have found a way to survive. Being software, not hardware, maybe they found I way...to.....back themselves up.......I dunno. I enjoyed the extra little scenes with my LI (Ashley), even made me tear up a bit I will admit. Plus, I noticed something. Alot of people have complaining that the "breath scene" is still the only thing pointing to Shepard being alive. But I noticed that unlike the other 2 choices where your love interest clearly places Shepard's name on the wall, accepting his death, in the Destroy option she held his name, looked up and smiled as if she somehow knew at that moment that he was alive. So I have a feeling my Shepard and Ashley will be having a reunion. Plus, the last bit of the game was obviously not in cronological order so here is how I figured it all went down.

D-Day

-Catalyst does its thing.
-Fleet retreats via FTL.
-Mass Relays and Citadel are badly damaged.
-Normandy makes a soft crash landing for whatever reason on alien world not that far from Sol.
-Normandy communication equipment damanged, out of contact with Alliance.
-Shepard wakes up onboard badly damaged citadel, likely receives treatment.

Weeks Later

-Crew holds memorial for Shepard, whom some think is likely dead (not Ashely).
-Shepard recovering.
-Repairs on Mass Relays and Citadel underway.
-Normandy is repaired, takes off from planet to reconnect with Alliance.
-Crew reunited with Shepard, finding him to be alive and recovering.
-Fleets still trapped in and around Sol system.

Months Later

-Mass Relays starting to come back online, slowly but surely.
-Fleets begin to make journey back to respective homeworlds.
-Citadel repairs continue.

Years Later

-Mass Relay Network back to 100%
-Citadel fully repaired
-Everyone living happily ever after (as seen in the "slide show")

And somewhere in all that, EDI and Geth are found to be alive......somehow......probably not....but I can dream.

Either way, THANK YOU BIOWARE! Thank you for fixing most of the issues I had with your otherwise GREAT game.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 05:07 AM   #1324
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
Just read that the DLC allows you to refuse the final offer my 3rd renegade character will like that.
Ah, but...
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 05:33 AM   #1325
Steven
Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
That took 3 months? That was 1.9GB? Don't get me wrong, it was an improvement, but I was expecting more considering the size of the thing. Firstly, why did we have to play from the Cerberus base mission when all the additions (that I noticed, at least) were from the conduit run on? It took me almost four hours to get to that point because it has been a while since I played and I didn't remember the controls.
I think there may have been a few additions during the early parts of the Earth mission, but I can't say for certain.

I was thinking exactly the same thing during that little discussion Shepard had.

Anyways, as for my thoughts on the overall experience... It was meh. That's it. Just meh.

Overall, I think Bioware has proven that while you can polish a turd, it's still just a turd.

Meh. Whatever.
Old June 27 2012, 08:20 AM   #1326
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Well, it's an improvement, although that doesn't say much, in this case.

The new one at least gets some fundamentals right. You're not left scratching your head as to why the ship left the battle. You're not just taking wild guesses as to who survived and who didn't.

The ending monologue was pretty good. The "funeral" was good. The Normandy taking flight is a much better way to close the series than the Normandy permanently shipwrecked.

Overall, I'd give the new ending a C+. Up from the original F. Not stellar, but I may be able to stomach playing the series again.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 09:29 AM   #1327
Reverend
Rear Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Jax wrote: View Post
Ah, but...
You know what? I *really* appreciate that they did that. It gives that earlier scene more resonance and it reinforces the idea that your choices have consequences.

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't re-insert the extended dialogue between Anderson & Shepard, but perhaps they felt it wasn't a good idea to tease the player with the possibility of a happy ending when in all but (maybe) one outcome, that would be impossible.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 09:39 AM   #1328
Camren
Commodore

I had time to try out the control ending last night. There's no doubt that the ending has been improved considerably from the original but I'm still not completely thrilled with it.
Guess I can't complain too much, it was free content after all and there's no such thing as the perfect ending. Would have liked a DA:O style epilogue too.
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 01:14 PM   #1329
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

I played the synth ending, and watched the others on the youtubes
I thought the added content was great. I don't agree with the complainers still calling it a turd. It's not a turd, it's an absolutely fantastic game, one of the absolute best of 2012 and a fitting end for Shepard's story.
Old June 27 2012, 01:30 PM   #1330
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^As I have said before; if it wasn't a great game then it wouldn't matter if the ending was crap. It is, therefore it does. All the EC really did was fill in the insultingly massive plot holes and glaring omissions. More than anything, it's the best proof to date that the original ending was rushed out the door, not even close the being finished. The basic premise is still very contrived if not outright bonkers.

No matter which way you cut it, introducing the catalyst at the last minute and forcing and A, B or C (and now D) choice is still terrible storytelling. The fact remains that your choices still don't really matter in the end and the whole EMS system just serves to cheapen the experience.

Moving on: assuming they continue to make ME games beyond this point, it's pretty clear that (asuming it'll be set post ME3) they'll almost certainly have to pick one "canon" ending. Am I alone in thinking it'll be the high EMS destroy ending? I can't see either of the others being particularly viable for dramatic storytelling. I mean, what could threaten the Control or Synthesis galaxies with the Reapers still around to protect the peace?

Something else that occurs to me: am I correct in assuming that there's still one more mass relay left untouched by the crucible wave? That is, the one say out in Dark Space and connects directly to the Citadel. What if the Reapers left one of their own behind to guard it? There could still be a reaper out there, presumably now free from control.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 02:12 PM   #1331
Sysyphyx
Lieutenant

View Sysyphyx's Twitter Profile

Still haven't finished this piece of shit. Everytime l try l feel like l'm playing some sort of half-ass DLC for Mass Effect 2. I guess l should finish it, since l'm almost there, just to see what all the fuss is about.
Sysyphyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 03:19 PM   #1332
superdeluxe
Captain

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I think control feels like the best option, but I definitely got a I-Robot feel from Shepard's 'rant'.

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 03:32 PM   #1333
Briquettes
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Something else that occurs to me: am I correct in assuming that there's still one more mass relay left untouched by the crucible wave? That is, the one say out in Dark Space and connects directly to the Citadel. What if the Reapers left one of their own behind to guard it? There could still be a reaper out there, presumably now free from control.
Someone already data mined the files in the EC patch and found what appears to be dialogue text for a future DLC. If it gets made, I think you'll like it.

Original thread on BSN is here: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...dex/12777408/1

Briquettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 03:59 PM   #1334
Camren
Commodore

Briquettes wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
Someone already data mined the files in the EC patch and found what appears to be dialogue text for a future DLC. If it gets made, I think you'll like it.

Original thread on BSN is here: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...dex/12777408/1

Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2012, 04:05 PM   #1335
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

If that's true, it's going to make the Starchild nonsense into even more bullshit.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote