Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 27 2012, 11:29 PM   #1171
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: Mass Effect 3

But those circumstances are part of the controversy. That's something Bob makes it a point to address about things he makes videos about. This is kind of a shocking departure from that.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2012, 11:43 PM   #1172
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^But none of that can justify some of the behaviour demonstrated by a lot of people over this, which is basically what he says. Indeed, he's very upfront about not being a huge fan or terribly well informed on the specifics. His position appears to be that it's irrelevant because what some people are doing crosses the line. As annoyed and disappointed as I was by the endings, I happen to agree with him on this point.

I don't care how much pressure EA put on Bioware, or how shady the whole day one DLC thing was. None of that makes it OK to personally hounding people involved with the game's development and filing complaints with government agencies or trading standards watchdogs over the ending of what is essentially a sodding 'choose your own adventure' book is pants-on-head grade bonkers. In this case, context is irrelevant.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2012, 11:48 PM   #1173
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Reverend wrote: View Post
^But none of that can justify some of the behaviour demonstrated by a lot of people over this, which is basically what he says. Indeed, he's very upfront about not being a huge fan or terribly well informed on the specifics. His position appears to be that it's irrelevant because what some people are doing crosses the line. As annoyed and disappointed as I was by the endings, I happen to agree with him on this point.

I don't care how much pressure EA put on Bioware, or how shady the whole day one DLC thing was. None of that makes it OK to personally hounding people involved with the game's development and filing complaints with government agencies or trading standards watchdogs over the ending of what is essentially a sodding 'choose your own adventure' book is pants-on-head grade bonkers. In this case, context is irrelevant.
You see, I agree with that. I just didn't get why Bob has to be a condescending dick to everyone about it.

Old March 28 2012, 12:03 AM   #1174
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I've been watching Bob's vlogs for a while now and I have to say he's *always* like that. It's just now you happen to find what you consider your position in direct opposition to what you perceive his position to be and it's stung.

But like I said, go back and look at what he says objectively and you'll see he's not attacking people who don't like the ending, or are complaining about it in a rational and reasonable way. He's complaining about the self entitled morons who're making us all look bad. And I think that's fair enough.
Old March 28 2012, 12:05 AM   #1175
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

That's probably true, thought I honestly dont care for future ME3 or ME games atm, so it's not like I *want* anything.

Old March 28 2012, 12:10 AM   #1176
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Then you have nothing to be defensive about. He wasn't talking about people like yourself.
Old March 28 2012, 02:26 AM   #1177
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I don't know anything about this Bob Chipman fellow, and I haven't watched the vlog in question, but I have to agree with Reverend. I'm very disappointed (and sometimes very annoyed) in the ME3 endings, but I think there are some fans who have taken things a bit too far in expressing their thoughts.

For a concrete example, I think the recent mailing of cupcakes to BioWare Edmonton is a much more "cute" expression than the FTC complaint, the fund-raising for Child's Play*, and the personal attacks on the BW staff via their forums, Twitter, and so on.

(* Fund-raising in and of itself is, of course, a good thing. But the way those fans organized essentially put the charity in the middle of the argument, and that was just plain wrong.)
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2012, 07:00 AM   #1178
throwback
Captain

I think what else is hurting this industry is that the game reviewers are not credible.

For example, Skyrim. Skyrim, when released, was a broken game, and should never have been released until the problems were fixed. We are now at the end of March. Since the game was released in November, there have been five patches to fix what should have been fixed before release. Game reviewers gave the game high ratings. I think that if this had been a game produced by a less well known name than Bethsaida that the critics would have torn the game apart.

The same goes for Mass Effect 3. The game is riddled with graphical errors, poor interface, and an ending that is terrible. If the game was rated more accurately, it wouldn't be getting the reviews it has received.

I feel that too often that game reviewers, for whatever reason, are far more forgiving of games than they should be. These same reviewers are attacking fans who are expressing their displeasure with the game. Independent and non-gaming industry media are rating the game more accurately and are offering detailed analysis of the game's flaws. This same level of scrutiny is lacking in the gaming industry which all too often rushes to the defense of the game developers and marginalizes the fans.

Frankly, I am getting very frustrated with paying money for a game that is broken. This is even worse with Mass Effect 3 since the game is clearly incomplete, and I will have to pay more money for the DLC which will complete the game..
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2012, 09:20 AM   #1179
clint g
Admiral

For those who care, heres a video about the upcoming Mass Effect 3 anime....

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-teaser-posted
Old March 29 2012, 07:05 AM   #1180
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Well, this is also a man who claimed that Bioware's "caving in" and announcement of Ending DLC sets back gaming as an art form by "a decade."
I thought something similar. Except I thought it about Bioware and the ending as is.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 10:56 AM   #1181
Camren
Commodore

Mr Light wrote: View Post
This was a no-brainer for me.
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 02:05 PM   #1182
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Camren wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 02:30 PM   #1183
Camren
Commodore

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I would have if I could, probably picked the wrong dialogue option somewhere. I'll try to rectify that in my next play through.
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 03:21 PM   #1184
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I would have if I could, probably picked the wrong dialogue option somewhere. I'll try to rectify that in my next play through.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 08:55 PM   #1185
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

If I had to choose...

Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote