Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 14 2012, 07:09 PM   #1066
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

Just a quick question on where i am in the game storywise, i.e. how far i'm along (and boy is it hard to withstand all those spoilers floating around)

FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2012, 07:38 PM   #1067
Reverend
Rear Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Just a quick question on where i am in the game storywise, i.e. how far i'm along (and boy is it hard to withstand all those spoilers floating around)

Without spoiling anything...
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 01:24 AM   #1068
Steven
Admiral

How many War Assets points do I need for the best possible ending? I'm sitting at around 2000 or so (after the 50% readiness penalty) and would just like to know where I'm at.
Old March 15 2012, 01:37 AM   #1069
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

You need an Effective Military Strength of 4000.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 02:28 AM   #1070
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^which I should add, means you need at least 8000 so long as your galactic readiness is sitting at 50%.

If you find yourself falling short and you *really* want those extra points then (unless you're *way* off the mark) you should only need to do a few MP matches. I did two and that was enough to knock it up to an extra 9%.
Old March 15 2012, 02:38 AM   #1071
Mr Light
Admiral

So, I'm getting penalized in the single player game because I don't have X-Box Live, then?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 02:44 AM   #1072
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

4000 EMS is achievable through SP alone.

(And there's no hyphen in Xbox. Nor a capitalized 'b'. )
Old March 15 2012, 03:10 AM   #1073
ATimson
Rear Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
4000 EMS is achievable through SP alone.
How so? Bioware has claimed this, but I haven't seen anybody lay out the math where this is possible.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 03:17 AM   #1074
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Without getting into spoilers? By gathering as many war assets as possible through scanning and exploration and by making the decisions most likely to enhance your chances, both on a micro and a macro scale. Seriously, even something as seemingly innocuous as settling a bureaucratic dispute or resisting the urge to knock someone out can have an impact. Some avenues will of course either be open or closed to you depending on decisions made in previous games (assuming you import.)

I got upto just under 3800 (effective) and that was without fully completing several rewarding sidequests either due to bugs or not turning them in before a particular point in the story. Had I bothered to reload an earlier save when I realized something was off, I would have made 4000 easy.
Old March 15 2012, 03:26 AM   #1075
ATimson
Rear Admiral

With spoilers, I guess - as in, "here's all the choices & the numbers for each". I hit 3800-something, and the one or two detracting choices in ME3 that I'm aware of wouldn't have hit 4000 for me...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 03:31 AM   #1076
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Even things as small as retrieving all of the Matriach's Writings back in ME1 can play a role. I don't know exactly how to get to 4000 myself, though; on my first playthrough, I was only at 3390 when I went on the attack, and I expect my current playthrough will be either around that or possibly even less because she's an ME2-only Shep.
Old March 15 2012, 03:32 AM   #1077
Steven
Admiral

Cool, thanks guys.

I'm definitely trying to get all the points I can, but I'm already missing some (at least, I think I am, I am not referring to any guides to confirm until I'm done the first play through) due to one decision in ME2. Namely,
Old March 15 2012, 03:36 AM   #1078
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

^ Short answer: Yes.

The most devious way, however, would be...
Old March 15 2012, 11:00 AM   #1079
Deks
Rear Admiral

Do all the side-missions/quests in ME3 so you can get EMS up to 4000 (make sure to explore galactic systems that open up between main missions and find various war-assets along the way - but also keep in mind that proceeding with a main plot story could result in skipping a side-mission so be sure to scan unexplored systems before proceeding with the main plot - those that you do and acquire war assets/salvage/wreckage from them, will have 100% near the name in the galactic map).
Aside from that, you will mainly get a lot of side-missions by walking by various people on the Citadel - so make sure to do the rounds in all areas most of the time (or post each main mission).

Actions you did in previous games can affect your EMS of course... but ME3 does offer a way of 'compensating' for it via dialogue with certain characters if I'm not mistaken.
If it comes down to it, then simply edit your save game so that EMS points are at or above 4000 before triggering the 'point of no return mission'.
Old March 15 2012, 11:53 AM   #1080
Mr Light
Admiral

So, what if you didn't import your save from ME1 and ME2? 'Cause my 360 died on me after I played those two, so I'm on a new system. I feel like I'm being punished for things that aren't my fault here

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote