Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 17 2012, 12:44 AM   #721
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

The ME2 demo on PS3 was Lazarus Station and, I think, the Archangel mission on Omega. I don't know if there was a demo for the Xbox, can't really remember.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 03:58 AM   #722
HotRod
Commander

Jesus......Just tried the multiplayer demo and either I suck and am way outta practice, or that shit is just plain crazy hard. Bioware wasn't kidding when they said it was tougher then ME2. But then again, I found the single player demo fairly easy and had no problem mowing down Cerberus punks and crazy Cannibals. Just seemed like in multiplayer that Cerberus grew some balls and were out to get me!
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 04:04 AM   #723
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
The ME2 demo on PS3 was Lazarus Station and, I think, the Archangel mission on Omega. I don't know if there was a demo for the Xbox, can't really remember.
There is an Xbox demo, but it didn't come out until some point after the game's retail release.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 07:03 AM   #724
ATimson
Rear Admiral

HotRod wrote: View Post
Jesus......Just tried the multiplayer demo and either I suck and am way outta practice, or that shit is just plain crazy hard.
Did you have 4 players? Bioware has made it very clear that it's balanced for 4 and will be difficult-to-unplayable with less.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 10:49 AM   #725
Jono
Rear Admiral

Played the demo and looking forward to it. Will we be able to adjust our imported character's features as we could in ME2?
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 02:55 PM   #726
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^According to the project director, yes we can.

Just about to try out the MP now. I suspect the inability to pause combat to select abilities is really going to trip me up!

[edit] Just finished a two or three hour MP session and I'm surprised by two things; 1) I didn't suck at it and 2) I totally lost track of time. Seriously, I'm not usually a MP gamer but I can see myself getting hooked on this.

The only thing that's missing is a way to communicate with squadmates (without a microphone.) Something simple like the command wheel in the Left 4 Dead games should work quite nicely.

Last edited by Reverend; February 17 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 06:03 PM   #727
John Clark
Commodore

Reverend wrote: View Post
^According to the project director, yes we can.

Just about to try out the MP now. I suspect the inability to pause combat to select abilities is really going to trip me up!
I just got killed fairly quickly though even single player wasn't that difficult
Old February 17 2012, 06:50 PM   #728
Reverend
Rear Admiral

As ATimson pointed out a few posts back, you need a full team of four players (three at a pinch) or things just degenerate fast. I was lucky in that I found a team that was competent and we did well (only failed one out of four missions), but later on I was stuck with a bunch of numpties and it just wasn't happening.

Probably the best thing to do is to split off two-and-two for objectives and all hunker near an ammo cache for the standard waves. It also helps if your chosen buddy is of a complementary class. By which I mean at least one of you needs to be a biotic, because guardians are a major pain unless you can relive them of their riot shields.

It's also vital to long term survival to prioritize your targets. Combat engineers drop turrets so they need to be taken care of asap. Phantoms are also a huge threat if you let them get too close.

Word of warning, twice now I've tried to buy an equipment pack only to have it fail. The first time it was a veterans pack which cost me 20,000 credits and left me with nothing to show for it! Grr.
Old February 18 2012, 05:47 AM   #729
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Yeah, unlocks are a bit annoying. It feels like an MMO mechanic (grind for credits, then gamble that you'll get something you want. You get bubkis. Repeat ad nauseum).
Old February 18 2012, 06:57 AM   #730
HotRod
Commander

Ok, finally had a good squad going and started to kick some Cerberus ass. Gotta say now that I've had some better luck I'm loving it. Hats off to Bioware for pulling off so well what so many thought would suck.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2012, 02:56 PM   #731
Skywalker
Admiral

Yeah, I decided to check out the multiplayer this morning now that it's available to everyone, and it's pretty fun once you get used to it. I was doing pretty well with my turian Sentinel, though to be honest I'd rather play a Vanguard.
Old February 18 2012, 03:42 PM   #732
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Funny you should say that, I just logged off after getting a Drell vanguard in a veteran pack.

I already have a human female with a charge/nova focus so I'm specing this one as a sniper vanguard (trust me, it's not as dumb as it sounds!)
Old February 18 2012, 03:43 PM   #733
Skywalker
Admiral

I don't really like how races and classes are purely random. Everyone's got their own favorite race they'd like to play as. It might have worked better if every class started out with just humans and you had to unlock other races as you leveled up, or something like that.
Old February 18 2012, 04:02 PM   #734
ATimson
Rear Admiral

I'm not a big fan of the randomness either. But I'm sure they'll be happy to sell us specific unlocks as DLC for a buck or two a pop.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2012, 04:40 PM   #735
Reverend
Rear Admiral

You know, I'm actually OK with it. To me, it's only a grind if the combat isn't entertaining in and of itself. While I'd like to have had an Asari adept or a Salarian infiltrator instead, I'm not about to keep playing *just* so I can get the chance of getting the race I want. I keep playing because so far, I'm enjoying it. I'm sure sooner or later I'll get the ones I'm looking forward too and who knows, maybe I'll have more fun than I thought I would with one of the random drops.

I think it also somewhat levels the playing field so that the hardcore gamers who'll play all day are just as likely to get some good gear as the casual gamers who just have the odd hour free every other day.