Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old September 5 2011, 01:36 PM   #451
HotRod
Commander

Re: Mass Effect 3

^There may be a *very* small grain of truth in that actually. After all, culturally speaking we're not used to seeing females in strong leadership roles.
Very small. I've never had a history of having a problem with women in commanding positions. I loved Tomb Raider, Buffy, Aliens (Ripley), etc. trust me, it's just the voice. Though I never could stand Janeway........hmmmmmm.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 02:04 PM   #452
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Yes, *very small*, as I said and I was thinking more of an unconscious cultural thing rathing than accusing anyone of being out-and-out prejudiced.

As for your examples; though those are all indeed "strong" female characters, none of them were really strong leaders (though you could probably argue either way for Ripley, depending on which film she's in.) Laura Roslin from Galactica might be a better example. I suppose Carter, Weir and Wray from the Stargate shows count too, but it's not as clear cut.

As for Janeway...her characterisation was written all over the place, so I don't think I'd count her as a strong leadership character.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 02:27 PM   #453
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

^ Strong, confident women are hot.
““I’m gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp.” Oh really? That’s great because I’m gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because you’re subhuman trash, ‘Mr. Mayor!’”
— Jeff Gerstmann
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 03:11 PM   #454
HotRod
Commander

^ Can't argue with that!
Old September 5 2011, 04:06 PM   #455
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Well when you're talking about third person shooters where you're forced to stare at your character's backside for something like 10-20 odd hours...I think it's safe to say I prefer the view with a female character.

Truthfully though, I've always favoured female characters in RPGs when given the choice precisely because it's (still, even now) not the norm. Since my first playthrough was as a FemShep, Hale's performance has sort of fixed itself in my mind as my "definitive" Shepard.

I think it's like when you hear a new cover of a song, you tend to favour the first version you ever heard, regardless if it was the original. For example, I think it's fair to say the most people hear of Hendrix's version when they think of 'All Along the Watchtower'. When I think of 'Johnny B. Goode', the version that comes to mind is always the one from Back the the Future.

At the end of the day, it's all subjective.
Old September 15 2011, 06:25 PM   #456
JD
Admiral

Hmm, I still haven't played through ME2 with FemShep yet, but I might have to start over with her so I can see what I think of her.
Old September 26 2011, 05:11 PM   #457
Saquist
Commodore

For me I found her more convincing than Male Shep as a bad A**
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2011, 05:33 PM   #458
bullethead
Fleet Captain

https://twitter.com/#!/masseffect/status/123433978895142914
We will have an multiplayer element in ME3! Keep watching our feed in the next few days for details! http://t.co/yHEHBpjS

Word is this might be a co-op mode or something.
Old October 10 2011, 08:22 PM   #459
Skywalker
Admiral

Lame.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2011, 09:20 PM   #460
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Oh bloody hell I hope not. I know they think they've cracked the multiplayer RPG experience with TOR but I'd rather they not expend time and money shoehorning this into a series that has up until this point been very much a single player experience.

Best case scenario it's just an optional feature that allows up to 2 extra players to directly control the squad mates in combat only. Anything more than that and it'll almost certainly diminish the final product.

As for that artwork on the cover: I hope that's not official material. It's about as dodgy a photoshop job as I've ever seen.
Old October 10 2011, 09:51 PM   #461
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

Ugh. There's tons of multiplayer games for people to play. Why do they need to make one of the few remaining single player only games into a multiplayer game? I know, to make more money, but still. I just hope it's as long a campaign as ME2 and that it retains some rpg elements.
6079SmithW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2011, 09:53 PM   #462
Skywalker
Admiral

If a multiplayer/co-op mode is the reason they pushed back the release, I'm going to be annoyed.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2011, 10:11 PM   #463
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I think you guys are missing the upside of all this: We'll finally be able to play as Garrus. Garrus! We'll be able to shoot sniper rifles and be badass and everything.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. I prefer single-player, but sometimes co-op is fun. I'm not sure what the squadmates will do while Shepard is talking to someone, but that could be fixed by having co-op be a separate mode that doesn't contain the talky bits.
Old October 10 2011, 10:14 PM   #464
HotRod
Commander

Old October 10 2011, 10:27 PM   #465
Reverend
Rear Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I think you guys are missing the upside of all this: We'll finally be able to play as Garrus. Garrus! We'll be able to shoot sniper rifles and be badass and everything.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. I prefer single-player, but sometimes co-op is fun. I'm not sure what the squadmates will do while Shepard is talking to someone, but that could be fixed by having co-op be a separate mode that doesn't contain the talky bits.
Going by what Casey Hudson is tweeting I suspect "co-op MP missions" means just that. A separate, non-story mode where you play through in-game levels specially tweaked for co-op. I suppose it could be interesting if players each get to import their own personal Shepard into co-op...though I'm not sure if the logistics of that is anywhere near feasible.