Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 7 2011, 08:59 PM   #331
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

Looks like a high-res image of what looks like the alternate appearance pack from the collector's edition has surfaced. Have to say I'm not really digging them. Ash looks way too feminine for one--I mean come come on, she's still a marine, no?--while Liara looks like she's dressing up as Samara for some cosplay contest. Probably not fair to judge the new character (Vega I think his mane is) just based on this, but the guy looks like a complete meat head, like an NPC that just escaped from Gears of War. Perhaps they're intentionally making him bland and generic to make Kaiden seem interesting by contrast? Speaking of Kaiden, he's the only one that actually looks like himself...all prissy with his gelled hair and designer stubble.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2011, 11:08 PM   #332
Skywalker
Admiral

I'm less annoyed about Ashley's catsuit now that Casey Hudson has confirmed that she'll also have armor.

He also says there that some of the faces, such as James' and Liara's, aren't final yet.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 12:17 AM   #333
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The poses in that picture look weird, and it doesn't help that they all seem to have been taken from different angles. I like Kaidan, but Vega looks like Grunt with a mohawk and Liara looks like a ballerina. As for Ashley, I'm justifying her sexy new look as her attempt to win back Benedict Shepard from Miranda.

I just completed my fourth play-through of the games tonight with only Zaeed and Jack surviving. The ship is so lonely. The Crew Deck is actually empty.
Old July 8 2011, 02:40 PM   #334
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Just keep in mind that Vega's design is far from finalized. The art teams are still iterating his look.
Old July 8 2011, 04:07 PM   #335
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Oh no doubt. I remember how different some of the early footage from both ME1 & 2 differed from the final product and I have no illusions that the development on the third game won't be just as fluid. Still, the direction they're going in does appear to be of the jar-headed cyborg-beefcake persuasion. Perhaps when they announce the voice actor (assuming they haven't already) we'll get a better idea of his characterisation.

Regardless, there's still something about Ash with her hair down that just feels....wrong.
Old July 8 2011, 04:15 PM   #336
Skywalker
Admiral

I actually really like how she looks with her hair down, but it doesn't really fit in with the persona established in ME1.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 05:49 PM   #337
SPCTRE
N7

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

I love the new character designs, I'm surprised to say. Usually I don't deal well with change of any kind.
Old July 8 2011, 07:02 PM   #338
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
...while Liara looks like she's dressing up as Samara for some cosplay contest.
I thought that was Samara.

Anyway, since it's Bioware, I'm sure it'll turn out that mohawk guy acts tough and looks like a jarhead but really he's all sensative and just needs to be loved *cough*Jack*cough*.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2011, 10:28 PM   #339
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I actually really like how she looks with her hair down, but it doesn't really fit in with the persona established in ME1.
Exactly. I don't have a problem with the design in and of itself, it just doesn't feel like a 'look' Ash would go for. One of her sisters maybe, but not Ash.

I can't help but wonder if this is at least partly down to Ash being (presumably) the main potential romance option for MaleSheps and they felt a need to feminise her for marketing purposes.

-Brett- wrote: View Post

Anyway, since it's Bioware, I'm sure it'll turn out that mohawk guy acts tough and looks like a jarhead but really he's all sensative and just needs to be loved *cough*Jack*cough*.
Well to be fair, out of the dozen or so squad mates, Jack had what I think was the most well defined character arc. I mean it was pretty clear from the offset that the tough bitch facade was just a defence mechanism. The only thing about her that disappointed me was how her powers (or lack there of) translated into gameplay. I mean when you first see her, she reduces THREE heavy mechs to scrap metal in just a few seconds before tearing massive holes in the ship's bulkheads. But once you get her on the team she suddenly had a glass jaw and relatively weak biotic abilities. On the higher difficulty levels she's practically useless in a fight.
Old July 14 2011, 07:06 AM   #340
Saquist
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Exactly. I don't have a problem with the design in and of itself, it just doesn't feel like a 'look' Ash would go for. One of her sisters maybe, but not Ash.

I can't help but wonder if this is at least partly down to Ash being (presumably) the main potential romance option for MaleSheps and they felt a need to feminise her for marketing purposes.

-Brett- wrote: View Post

Well to be fair, out of the dozen or so squad mates, Jack had what I think was the most well defined character arc. I mean it was pretty clear from the offset that the tough bitch facade was just a defence mechanism. The only thing about her that disappointed me was how her powers (or lack there of) translated into gameplay. I mean when you first see her, she reduces THREE heavy mechs to scrap metal in just a few seconds before tearing massive holes in the ship's bulkheads. But once you get her on the team she suddenly had a glass jaw and relatively weak biotic abilities. On the higher difficulty levels she's practically useless in a fight.
Yeah Jack was well thought out as characters wen...but then I think all of them were for their roles. I liked/disliked Jack the Most. She was very real...too real at times. Many of use are just like her. I could identify with her pain but I couldn't bring myself to get with her.

To puruse a romatic relationship with Jack would be like cuddling up Loose Canon with a hair trigger. I sympathized for her alot. My Lorenzo Sheppard went a little too far with the interest but ended up with Tali. I always liked her...she was femiine and needy in a more normal way.

If I was a more controling person I wouldn't mind trying to tame Jack and that's why I left if for my Renegade Lief Sheppard .

No matter what Sheppards I was...I kept my hands off the Cheerleader. I didn't like Miranda from Go. Too much attitude, snippy, nagging and a wet cold fish. She couldn't lead if her life depended on it and I played the Suicide Mission and lost her I thought it was perfect.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2011, 09:53 AM   #341
carstreet343
Cadet

Mass effect 3 is my one of the favourite action games. I had played this games and it is very intreating and impressive action game. I playing it in my free time.
Old July 18 2011, 11:19 AM   #342
Yevetha
Commodore

When is the Invasion the comic coming out?
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2011, 11:55 AM   #343
SPCTRE
N7

Yevetha wrote: View Post
When is the Invasion the comic coming out?
October 19, according to the Mass Effect Wiki.
Old July 18 2011, 02:14 PM   #344
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

carstreet343 wrote: View Post
Mass effect 3 is my one of the favourite action games. I had played this games and it is very intreating and impressive action game. I playing it in my free time.
Old July 18 2011, 02:15 PM   #345
SPCTRE
N7

^ Same here.