Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 25 2011, 09:41 AM   #301
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Lines tend to work best on two-dimensional displays. Given the necessary three-dimensional nature of space, it's kind of hard to define anyone's territory with lines. We don't know how much territory the krogans control, but given the Council's reaction to the Krogan Rebellions, it's probably not much more than their home system and maybe some of the systems within their cluster.
Exactly. The same applies to any territory claimed by one power or another. The only border that has any meaning is the termini of local mass relays...or as the krogan say; the range of their weapons. It's also why a territorial map of the galaxy would be meaningless since in term of volume, the vast majority of galactic space is unknown and unclaimed. All you could do is colour code individual stars and even if a government laid claim to hundreds or even thousands of systems, a few coloured points scattered against the backdrop of several hundred billion stars...well you'd could hardly tell they were there at all.

Saquist wrote: View Post
That was the confusing part. The map didn't show you the line of demarcation of the zone. I wasn't sure if that label was for. Apparently it was the entire Star Cluster and I don't read all the codex. I kept thinking we were visiting a world founded by them.
I think it's time you started because I've lost track of how many times you've voiced a rather drastic misconception. Seriously, at times I wonder if you're playing the same game as everyone else! Hell even reading the primary ones will do. It's easy really since you don't even have to actually read them. When you select one there's a little audio clip that reads it for you.

In this instance though, you didn't need to open the codex, it was all right there on the planetary screen when you came into orbit. But if that's too much to ask I'll quote it for you.

"In recent centuries many krogan have returned to their homeworld. The reduced albedo has caused global temperatures to rise. In order to maintain livable temperatures, a vast shroud was assembled at the L1 Lagrange point. It is maintained by the Council Demilitarization Enforcement Mission (CDEM) which is based on orbiting battlestations.

CDEM ADVISORY: Visitors to Tuchanka land at their own risk. The CDEM will not attempt to extract citizens threatened by clan warfare.
Population: 2.1 billion
Capital: currently Urdnot (since 2183)
CDEM Garrison: 2,400 (in orbital battlestations)
"
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 08:21 PM   #302
Saquist
Commodore

Reverend wrote: View Post

I think it's time you started because I've lost track of how many times you've voiced a rather drastic misconception. Seriously, at times I wonder if you're playing the same game as everyone else! Hell even reading the primary ones will do. It's easy really since you don't even have to actually read them. When you select one there's a little audio clip that reads it for you.
You've told me all that before.
With all due respect Reverend, that's your hang up not mine.
I enjoy the EXPERIENCE of MASS EFFECT more than the details. That's unusual for me, normally I love the details. I pay attention to some things in the Game but not others as I play. The characters are what make this Game for me it's why I replayed the first Mass Effect almost 20 times and the 2nd at least 5 times. It's truly and EPIC game.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 11:38 PM   #303
Reverend
Rear Admiral

It's not a hangup of mine at all, I'm just morbidly curious as to why you keep doing this.
Honestly, if you're so disinterested in the details then why enter into discussions about those very details, fully aware of just how wilfully uninformed you are?
Old June 27 2011, 07:36 AM   #304
Saquist
Commodore

Reverend wrote: View Post
It's not a hangup of mine at all, I'm just morbidly curious as to why you keep doing this.
Honestly, if you're so disinterested in the details then why enter into discussions about those very details, fully aware of just how wilfully uninformed you are?

Ah...because my dear Watson....
I'm not "so disinterested" as you put it. That's a qualifier you felt necessary to add. Not I. I'm not sure it's not a hangup either when you call it a "morbid curiosity". (and it's you that brought it up instead of letting it go.)

Lines tend to work best on two-dimensional displays.
That's wrong. Lines are Lines
How they are used to best represent demarcations is my field.

Given the necessary three-dimensional nature of space, it's kind of hard to define anyone's territory with lines.
That's also wrong.
There are any number of ways to define territory. One method is to associate by line all stars that belong to a particular home world by simply drawing a line from every star to it's homeworld. Very simple.

We don't know how much territory the krogans control, but given the Council's reaction to the Krogan Rebellions, it's probably not much more than their home system and maybe some of the systems within their cluster.
Indeed.
Old June 27 2011, 11:33 PM   #305
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Not so simple. It's not going to be direct lines of transit. The Mass Relays aren't laid out for the convenience of the Krogan, or for the convenience of Humanity, etc etc. They are scattered among star systems, and only link to their pairs, or to nearby relays, depending on what kind of relay they are.

There's also the matter of many different factions controlling different assets within the same cluster. It would be simpler just to mark locations with color coding or some such, as opposed to rendering a spiderweb from hell across the galaxy.
Old June 28 2011, 12:37 AM   #306
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's just impractical to try to lay claim to any significant volume of space, it's just too big. It makes much more sense to stick close to planets, moons, asteroids etc. where you have a much better chance to protect your assets. It's probably not even a good idea to try and defend the region around a local relay. I can imagine that not many races would risk a fire-fight that might damage or destroy a relay. That's probably how the Normandy was able to get around the terminus systems and even into Geth space without facing any serious opposition.
Old June 28 2011, 01:43 AM   #307
HotRod
Commander

This might help.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 04:50 AM   #308
LeadHead
Interstellar Man of Mystery

^ Love that. Thanks!
Old June 28 2011, 09:21 AM   #309
Saquist
Commodore

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Not so simple. It's not going to be direct lines of transit.
I said nothing about transit.
I said association by homeworld.

There's also the matter of many different factions controlling different assets within the same cluster.
It doesn't matter when associated by homeworld. Each affliation would be appear to be star-like cluster of lines. You could differentiate those lines by color no matter if the whole cluster belongs to them or not. It wouldn't matter one bit.

Just as International Waters have a set boundary around every coast line so would each Star...the rest is already known as interstellar space. Don't make it harder than it is.

Last edited by Saquist; June 28 2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old June 29 2011, 01:59 AM   #310
Skywalker
Admiral

Mordin Solus has been recast in ME3.

DO NOT WANT.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 02:10 AM   #311
LeadHead
Interstellar Man of Mystery

I don't know if I'd say that's confirmed as of yet. EA hasn't commented. They've still got many months to do all the voice acting. The E3 video with somebody else voicing the role wouldn't be the first one where the voice acting was different than the finished product. I shall remain hopeful.
Old June 29 2011, 03:07 AM   #312
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Considering that the art design teams are still working on levels, I'm not surprised that the VAs aren't going to be recording any time soon.
Old June 29 2011, 03:39 AM   #313
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Indeed. I think I;ve even noticed a few instances in ME1 (I think) where a vocal temp track had been left in, presumably by mistake.

Still, as the article points out there are a few notable cases of talent from the first two games not returning which has me a little worried. Mostly I think people are afraid that Bioware may be put under the same kind of pressure from EA that made them put out DA2 seemingly two thirds done. The feeling I've seen around the interwebs is that the EA suits may be of the opinion that since ME2 was such a big seller, they needn't spend as much on ME3 as they'll have a significant number of guaranteed sales from established fans.

Personally I doubt it, but the third instalment in any trilogy can be a tricky one...
Old June 29 2011, 04:03 AM   #314
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The original "Holiday 2011" release date had me a little worried, but the fact that they pushed the game back at least three months keeps me optimistic, especially since that means ME3 will have roughly the same turnaround as ME2 did.
Old June 29 2011, 08:30 AM   #315
Saquist
Commodore

Jack Wall not composing means a heck of a lot more. I MEAN DUDE...I have both sound tracks from the games.

I hope Sascha Dikiciyan & Cris Velasco from arrival will be on the project.