Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 17 2014, 03:06 PM   #2341
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

The thing to do would be to load a save from before the mission with Gibbed's editor, see which plot flags are set and correct accordingly.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 05:51 PM   #2342
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
The thing to do would be to load a save from before the mission with Gibbed's editor, see which plot flags are set and correct accordingly.
Nah, there's no point in changing history, I've accept that the Geth died in my "canonical" playthrough. It actually made the decision to destroy the Reapers much easier since I didn't have the concern of killing off the Geth too. I just wanted to know why I wasn't given the option for peace. For two years I had assumed it was due to punching Admiral Han'Gerrel, but it seems now like it was down to a glitch.
Old March 17 2014, 06:27 PM   #2343
SPCTRE
BATMANBATMANBATMAN

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
It actually made the decision to destroy the Reapers much easier since I didn't have the concern of killing off the Geth too.
Huh, I never thought about that aspect of it.

Kinda cheapens the predicament they were going for with their three (I know, technically there's eight) endings approach.
Old March 17 2014, 07:01 PM   #2344
{ Emilia }
#betterthanromney

Well, I guess you can still feel sorry for Joker and Edi.

I gotta admit killing the tech people is the only ending I don't hate.
Old March 18 2014, 08:31 AM   #2345
SPCTRE
BATMANBATMANBATMAN

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
True, but... meh. If its not death on a genocidal scale I don't get a permanent anymore... emotionally I mean.
Old March 18 2014, 01:34 PM   #2346
ATimson
Rear Admiral

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
Doesn't EDI tell you that she'd willingly die if it meant stopping the Reapers?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 04:45 PM   #2347
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I knew that EDI was willing to sacrifice herself to destroy the Reapers, so that was a choice I was willing to make. Still a bit of a bummer, though.

In my recent pure renegade game, I let the Quarians die on Rannoch and then killed off the Geth with the Crucible. Double genocide!
Old March 18 2014, 05:30 PM   #2348
{ Emilia }
#betterthanromney

They're machines anyway. In my mind I destroy the reapers and then we repair EDI quickly so that Joker can enjoy his weird fetish some more.
Old March 18 2014, 05:33 PM   #2349
Reverend
Rear Admiral

As I think I've said many times now, I didn't mind that I ended up sacrificing the Geth and EDI. I do mind how artificially contrived the scenario was as presented. A wave of energy destroying AI's that have Reaper code makes about as much sense as one that kills anyone that's thinking about the colour red, or speaks Italian.

They just decided that the most logical choice (destroy) be an organics vs. synthetics thing. Odd as it sounds, I would've been happier if the consequences of "destroy" were wiping out Earth and anyone in orbit too slow to get out of the way.
Old March 18 2014, 05:56 PM   #2350
SPCTRE
BATMANBATMANBATMAN

Old March 18 2014, 08:14 PM   #2351
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Played my 'canon' play through last year after the Citadel DLC had come out - included all the DLC except the Pinnacle Station one.

Ending was high EMS Destroy. Couldn't be anything else really. Best of a bad bunch. I went to the Citadel to finish the Reapers, which Destroy does. Had already backed the Quarians in their war with the Geth and wiped them out on Rannoch. Consequently, EDI vs all organic life in the universe? Sorry EDI....

Still frustrated though as Shepard would never just take as read what Starjar was telling her/him. I'd have preferred a successful Refuse, somehow. At the very least I'd want to shoot the little twat in the face without eliciting the fucking end times....
Old March 18 2014, 10:21 PM   #2352
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Not sure how you expect a "successful refuse" to play out. The Reapers cannot be defeated by conventional means. This has been made abundantly clear since ME1 and was practically hammered into our skulls in ME3. Everything was riding on the crucible being the solution, without that, all there's going to be is a slow grind into extinction just like every other cycle.

Of all the issues I have with the endings, this isn't one of them. I actually liked how they implemented the "refuse" option in the EC.
Old March 18 2014, 10:57 PM   #2353
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I dunno, it seems pretty contrived to me that the only weapon capable of destroying the reapers inherently has these cataclysmic deus ex machina-rrific side effects.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 11:17 PM   #2354
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Oh it's *enormously* contrived, but that's besides the point in this instance. The developers did play fair by establishing up front that there's no way even a united galaxy could take on the entire reaper fleet and win. Taking down one or two by throwing whole fleets at them sure, but they have more Reapers than you'll ever have fleets. It's a war of attrition that simply cannot be won.
Old March 18 2014, 11:25 PM   #2355
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
^Not sure how you expect a "successful refuse" to play out. The Reapers cannot be defeated by conventional means. This has been made abundantly clear since ME1 and was practically hammered into our skulls in ME3. Everything was riding on the crucible being the solution, without that, all there's going to be is a slow grind into extinction just like every other cycle.

Of all the issues I have with the endings, this isn't one of them. I actually liked how they implemented the "refuse" option in the EC.
That's why I said "somehow" Never said I expected it to be conventional. Let's be fair, you could have gone for an ID4-style virus ending and it wouldn't have been any more ridiculous than the ending we got anyway. The seeds for an unconventional refuse could have been sewn throughout the game. I'm still not sure why they didn't do this, considering that the way the ending was written your choice depended entirely on swallowing what the enemy CiC is telling you. Clearly no lessons learned from your experiences with TIM in ME2. Shepard doesn't even bat an eyelid when she/he's being told all this stuff. That's where the character breaking begins. It's akin to buying Saren's rhetoric in the first game, taking it at face value and deciding he's right. Would have been a short trilogy.

It's lucky that I can tolerate the Destroy ending, but even then, Shepard's blind trust still grates. There are plenty of other reasons to loathe the ending though, Lord knows it's not like all those reasons haven't been debated ad infinitum over the past couple of years!