Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 17 2013, 09:59 AM   #2191
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

I'm about a quarter of the way though ME3 with my renegade engie right now (which also happens to be my first insanity run.) It is a fun class, but requires a whole other mindset to play effectively and I can see why it's by far the least popular class in SP. It's a shame really since to my knowledge, the engie has the *only* class specific dialogue interrupt in the whole saga.

By contrast, I have about two of every other class...except Sentinel. Which is odd as I had a lot of fun with that one too.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 02:47 AM   #2192
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

Reverend wrote: View Post
I'm about a quarter of the way though ME3 with my renegade engie right now (which also happens to be my first insanity run.) It is a fun class, but requires a whole other mindset to play effectively and I can see why it's by far the least popular class in SP. It's a shame really since to my knowledge, the engie has the *only* class specific dialogue interrupt in the whole saga.

By contrast, I have about two of every other class...except Sentinel. Which is odd as I had a lot of fun with that one too.
What would that interrupt be?
Old April 18 2013, 03:26 AM   #2193
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Apparently in Omega the engineer gets a paragon interrupt to reroute reactor power immediately to shut down the Cerberus forcefields, rather than having to wait til after all the renegade interrupts. Suck it, Petrovsky!

But yeah, I really wish they had done that sort of thing throughout the series. Outside of how they go about killing stuff, all the classes pretty much experience the games the same way.
Old April 18 2013, 08:22 AM   #2194
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^I know, right? It would have made for a much deeper illusion of choice if your class/background/service history were referred to at certain points. They barely even acknowledge it if Shepard is a biotic, which given that cover three of the six classes is one hell of a strange oversight.
Old April 18 2013, 06:50 PM   #2195
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Well to be fair, you background and service history do crop up in dialogue every so often, most prevalently in ME1, where you've also got background-exclusive side quests on the Citadel. And the service history adds extra dialogue to other side quests (for example you know Corporal Toombs personally if pick Sole Survivor.) They rarely get acknowledged in ME2, all that springs to mind is in news announcements (Shepard Memorial Plaza on Elysium for instance) and a followup email related to your ME1 background sidequest. There's more references in ME3, obvious one being Liara's holorecording of you (which also *dun-dun-dun!* acknowledges your class.) I also noticed in the archives in Citadel DLC the holo image next to Shepard is different depending on your background (it showed prefab buildings with bodies laying around for my colonist Shepard.) So yeah, lots of references to your background/service history, next to nothing for your class!
Old April 18 2013, 07:17 PM   #2196
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Shepard only gets to speak to her/his mother if she/he is a spacer (in ME1 and ME3).

Not really sure why that's only applicable to a space-born Shepard.

From memory Traynor makes reference to you being a colonist if that's your background, and again she makes a reference to you being a biotic ahead of the Grissom Academy mission if that's your class.

Small potatoes though.
Old April 18 2013, 07:21 PM   #2197
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Shepard only gets to speak to her/his mother if she/he is a spacer (in ME1 and ME3).

I'm pretty sure that if you're a colonist your parents are dead (or still back home?), while if you're Earth-born they didn't raise you.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 07:24 PM   #2198
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
while if you're Earth-born they didn't raise you.
Plus they're probably toast.....
Old April 18 2013, 09:30 PM   #2199
Jeyl
Commodore

I remember when Hackett mentioned Shepard's mother was onboard and I was so excited that I thought I would finally be able to either talk to her again or even see her for once! One thing that is never done in these kinds of stories are professional high ranking mother/daughter duos! But instead, all we get is a mention and that's it.

Grr.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 10:36 PM   #2200
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Well, I'm not surprised that we never actually *saw* Shep's mother. Depending on how you created Shepard, the two of you could look totally different. In Dragon Age II the appearance of your mother and siblings changed depending on what skin tone you picked for Hawke, but they weren't going to go through all that trouble just for a minor character like Shep's mom.
Old April 18 2013, 10:46 PM   #2201
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Colonist Shepard:
You were raised on Mindoir on the fringes of the Attican Traverse. When you were sixteen, the colony was raided by slavers. The entire settlement was razed and your friends and family were slaughtered. A passing Alliance patrol rescued you, but all you loved was destroyed.
Earthborn Shepard:
You were born on Earth, but you never knew your parents. A child of the streets, you learned to live by your wits and guts, surviving in the hidden underbelly of the megatropolises of humanity's homeworld.
So yeah, only Spacer Shepard gets parents.
Old April 19 2013, 01:52 AM   #2202
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

So I just finished ME2, imported my engineer into ME3, and..... yeah...... /FACEPALM

Old April 19 2013, 07:17 AM   #2203
Skywalker
Admiral

Yeah, we've all been there.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 09:49 AM   #2204
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Give me a minute, I think I might still have some links that can let you fix that.

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Well to be fair, you background and service history do crop up in dialogue every so often, most prevalently in ME1, where you've also got background-exclusive side quests on the Citadel. And the service history adds extra dialogue to other side quests (for example you know Corporal Toombs personally if pick Sole Survivor.) They rarely get acknowledged in ME2, all that springs to mind is in news announcements (Shepard Memorial Plaza on Elysium for instance) and a followup email related to your ME1 background sidequest. There's more references in ME3, obvious one being Liara's holorecording of you (which also *dun-dun-dun!* acknowledges your class.) I also noticed in the archives in Citadel DLC the holo image next to Shepard is different depending on your background (it showed prefab buildings with bodies laying around for my colonist Shepard.) So yeah, lots of references to your background/service history, next to nothing for your class!
I wouldn't call that lots. Sure there's plenty in ME1, but it's not a trend they continued. For example, Jade Shepard was an Earthborn Sole Survivor and I hated that in ME2 there was no mention whatsoever of Cerberus's role in what happened on Akuze. Having a news report mention it was just like rubbing salt in the wound, as if Shep didn't even remember what happened.

As for the class, it would have been nice if there was an extra line here and there with certain characters with abilities/interests you have in common. Like that bit of banter about omni-tool preferences between Tali & Kaiden in ME3. Having an engie geek out about tech stuff would have been a nice touch. Or an infiltrator talking sniper shop with Legion and/or Garrus.

From memory Traynor makes reference to you being a colonist if that's your background, and again she makes a reference to you being a biotic ahead of the Grissom Academy mission if that's your class.

Small potatoes though.
I think Miranda also mentions your background when she has her little insecurity speech. But yeah, diminutive tuberous root vegetables indeed.
Old April 19 2013, 09:57 AM   #2205
Reverend
Rear Admiral

OK, the link to the tool I used is now dead, but a little googling turned up this. It's a bit more involved, but it's pretty direct. The alternative if you don't want to muck about with that is to restart an ME2 game with that character, sit though all the rigmarole of getting to the character creation screen then eyballing it so the custom face is identical to your imported face and noting down the face code. Once you have that, the rest is self explanatory.