Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 2 2011, 09:07 AM   #196
Saquist
Commodore

Re: Mass Effect 3

Reverend wrote: View Post
You know it rather bothered me how freely you were allowed to come and go on the Citadel in a Cerberus ship. Omega and Illium sure, but the Citadel? The Normandy should have been impounded as soon as it cleared the mass relay. For that matter, even being able to visit the Sol System feels a bit odd as one would assume you have to pass through Arcturus first, and that system must be a fortress.
The Mass Effect Universe doesn't seem to be a military state, even the so called Dreadnought appeared to simply take licks, it didn't do anything in the attack. The universe isn't perfect but it serves the story just like everything does.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 12:16 PM   #197
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Would that be the dreadnought that got suddenly overwhelmed by a massive swarm of Geth ships? Yeah, real glass jaw that one.
Despite the name, a single dreadnought is not invincible, it can only operate effectivly as part of a larger formation. In that instance they were taken totally by surprise, not remotely ready to defend against a sudden and coordinated attack. With the Turian fleet cut off and wrecked by Sovereign, it's a wonder the Destiny Ascension lasted as long as it did against such a sustained barrage (or not, if you let it blow up.)

Anyway, none of that has anything to do with being able to spot one ship with terrorist markings plastered all over it or the fact that fleet security *was* greatly increased after the Geth attack.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
^Which rather begs the question, how she managed to get that stuff on the ship without anyone noticing...?
She built it from scratch with her omni-tools.
Leaving aside for a second that I was being a tad facetious, I was thinking more in terms of her collection. I just have an amusing mental image of those crew members sat in the bunk room as Kasumi sneaks back and forth past their doorway carrying paintings, and several boxes of romance novels without anyone, including EDI being the wiser.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 12:54 PM   #198
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Leaving aside for a second that I was being a tad facetious, I was thinking more in terms of her collection. I just have an amusing mental image of those crew members sat in the bunk room as Kasumi sneaks back and forth past their doorway carrying paintings, and several boxes of romance novels without anyone, including EDI being the wiser.
Oh sure. I was being a tad facetious too.
Old May 3 2011, 07:13 AM   #199
Saquist
Commodore

^Would that be the dreadnought that got suddenly overwhelmed by a massive swarm of Geth ships? Yeah, real glass jaw that one.
Where was the main gun they were talking about?

Despite the name, a single dreadnought is not invincible, it can only operate effectivly as part of a larger formation. In that instance they were taken totally by surprise, not remotely ready to defend against a sudden and coordinated attack. With the Turian fleet cut off and wrecked by Sovereign, it's a wonder the Destiny Ascension lasted as long as it did against such a sustained barrage (or not, if you let it blow up.)
I didn't have a problem with it surviving but that is all it did.....

Anyway, none of that has anything to do with being able to spot one ship with terrorist markings plastered all over it or the fact that fleet security *was* greatly increased after the Geth attack.
no it doesn't.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 11:47 AM   #200
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Where was the main gun they were talking about?
In the same place it always was? Firstly, remember we didn't see the whole battle, just the initial volley and later when the Alliance turned up. There's a gap there that could have been mere minutes or hours that we never saw. On the other hand the main gun could have been knocked offline with the first shot.

Secondly, the Destiny Ascension wasn't trying to engage the fleet, they were evacuating the council while the turians engaged Sovereign. You can very clearly see the ship flying *away* from the battle before the reaper closes in, probably making for one of the other mass relays.

Thirdly, a main gun like they is probably only effective against large and preferably stationary targets, like cities and space stations. It wouldn't do a lot against a swarm of smaller ships. At best it would only take out a handful, if they don't just simply swerve to avoid the projectile.

Fourthly, the ship does open fire if you look carefully (around 0:36). It may be the main gun, it may not, there's no way to tell, but we did see it get a few shots off.
Old May 4 2011, 07:46 PM   #201
BigFoot
Admiral

Release of ME3 has been delayed to early 2012.

BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2011, 08:26 PM   #202
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^I actually consider this good news. I'd rather they take their time and deliver a quality product than do what the Dragon Age team did and let EA bully them into shoving out an early release that was only 60% done.
Old May 4 2011, 08:39 PM   #203
Skywalker
Admiral

The other good part about this is that's less money spent in an already crowded November.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2011, 08:43 PM   #204
stalin2005
Lieutenant Commander

View stalin2005's Twitter Profile

Hmmm now I have to find a new game for the holidays
Old May 4 2011, 09:37 PM   #205
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Thank the gods! I really wanted this to be my GOTY, but with Minecraft being officially "completed" in November, I would have been honour-bound to give that my number 1. Now that ME3 is being pushed back to 2012, it's free to take the top-spot for that year, baring Satan rising up from hell and releasing the most awesome game ever.

Yes, that is a stupid reason to want the game to be pushed back. Stop judging me.
Old May 4 2011, 10:50 PM   #206
HotRod
Commander

Good news indeed. Take all the time you need Bioware, all the time you need. Good things come to those who wait.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2011, 02:42 AM   #207
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

A little disappointing, but probably a good thing overall. Two years seems to be about the smallest turn around that might still produce a decent sequel.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2011, 08:01 AM   #208
Jax
Admiral

Not surprised about the delay because RPG's tend to need extra polishing time and Q4 2011 is PACKED with big games already.
Old May 5 2011, 05:23 PM   #209
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

I'll admit that my first reaction was "NOOOOOOOOO!" but then realized that it'll be a good thing. Given how high the bar is set for this game, I want them to get it right.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2011, 05:32 PM   #210
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

It's fantastic news. Not only does it give them more time to make sure that they get things right, but it gives me time to complete Skyrim before ME3's release.