Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 22 2013, 07:40 PM   #1891
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

ATimson wrote: View Post
We know it's more than 2 GB - is it actually hitting the 4 GB mark?

And remember everybody, this is the Bioware who sold Awakening as DLC for $40. $15 is a steal compared to that.
Gamble confirmed on Twitter that it's just under 4Gb.

Guess we'll have to wait and see whether we're getting any kind of value for money - I'd rather pay £10 for something like this (size and content) than Omega which was a huge disappointment considering how much we'd been asked to pay.

Either way, this will be my final foray into the ME universe. I hate what they did with the ending, and have little interest in any further games beyond this DLC.
Old February 22 2013, 09:10 PM   #1892
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Either way, this will be my final foray into the ME universe. I hate what they did with the ending, and have little interest in any further games beyond this DLC.
More-or-less agreed. There's a couple of things they could do that would bring me back - cast Nathan Fillion or another actor I like as the player character or a party number, maybe rehire Drew Karpyshyn - but odds are not good.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 09:18 PM   #1893
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

I'm going to reserve any judgement about the future of the Mass Effect franchise, until there actually is a future of the mass effect franchise. We know that they're working on the next game, we don't know yet what it will be, what form it will take, when it will take place, etc.

Personally, I'd welcome the next chapter of the mass effect universe, I'm eager for there to be more content for the series and to move on from the indescribably horrible ending of Mass Effect 3.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 09:49 PM   #1894
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

The way the series has been "evolving" thus far, I fully expect that ME4 will have no dialogue choices, no character customization, no class system, and you probably won't even be able to choose your character's gender.

I'd love for EAware to prove me wrong, but I doubt they will.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 10:47 AM   #1895
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Apropos of nothing, I like how they've made this week's MP challenge a tribute to Robin Sachs.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 11:35 AM   #1896
DarkHorizon
Captain

Reverend wrote: View Post
Apropos of nothing, I like how they've made this week's MP challenge a tribute to Robin Sachs.
I'm just sad I don't have time to participate.
Old February 23 2013, 01:45 PM   #1897
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

Am I the only one that doesn't hate the ME3 ending? I can see why people had complaints before the extended cut, but I found the end to be pretty awesome. I was actually kind of depressed when I finished ME3 for the first time because I didn't want it to be over.
Old February 23 2013, 02:01 PM   #1898
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

heavy lids wrote: View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't hate the ME3 ending? I can see why people had complaints before the extended cut, but I found the end to be pretty awesome. I was actually kind of depressed when I finished ME3 for the first time because I didn't want it to be over.
No, I loved the ending as well. I can understand that it may not be for everyone, but I would have thought that people would be over it by now. Oh well, the endless drama is entertaining in its own way.
Old February 23 2013, 03:06 PM   #1899
Reverend
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
heavy lids wrote: View Post
No, I loved the ending as well. I can understand that it may not be for everyone, but I would have thought that people would be over it by now. Oh well, the endless drama is entertaining in its own way.
Pre-EC my main gripe with the ending was that it was quite obviously thrown together, unfinished and that text agter the tag scene was just downright insulting. This is why I view the EC as a very large patch rather than DLC in it's own right.

Post-EC, while the execution of the ending is a lot smoother and more "complete" (for lack of a better term) I still take issue with the execution. Mainly it's the "pick your favourite colour" mechanic and the implementation of the war asset system. I mean after three games of imported saves storing hundreds accumulated decisions we were led to believe that what we had done up until this point would *matter*. As it turned out, that was a lie.

I mean I can live with the starchild nonsense--even if it did make the ending seem as if someone had spliced Matrix Revolutions into Deus Ex--but what really disappointed me was how half-arsed the final Earth missions felt.

After the way they did ME2's suicide mission, I expected to see my choices and war assets come into play. I also thought it to be an extended campaign, with side missions like we got with Tuchanka and Rannoch. There was plenty of potential to work with. I mean imagine a mission where you have to make your way though a vast field of dragon's teeth to assault a reaper processor ship and liberate civilians, or some captured allies. Maybe even Anderson?

Indeed, I'd say everything from Thessia onwards felt a little rushed. The bit about the Illusive Man going to the Citadel, warning the reapers and them just grabbing the thing and moving it to Earth all in the time it took you to raid Cronos station just felt horribly contrived. Indeed, Cerberus itself got a little short changed since we never found out exactly what was going on. Why did they attack Surkesh? Were they all fully indoctrinated, or were they just rogue units that TIM had lost control over? There should have been a much more to the downfall of Cerberus than what we got.

So yeah, while I didn't *hate* the ending, I was enormously disappointed. I don't care that it wasn't a happy ending, I do care that it wasn't a satisfying one.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 04:19 PM   #1900
ATimson
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
No, I loved the ending as well. I can understand that it may not be for everyone, but I would have thought that people would be over it by now.
I'm over it in that I'm not whinging about it on the Internet anymore. I'm not over it in that I doubt I'll ever replay a Mass Effect game other than #1.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 04:25 PM   #1901
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

ATimson wrote: View Post
I'm over it in that I'm not whinging about it on the Internet anymore.
Sounds like a good idea.
Old February 23 2013, 06:54 PM   #1902
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

The ending is what it is at this point. If you like it, great. If you don't like it, too bad.

Will I replay the Shepard trilogy again at some point in the future? No idea. Will I give BW the opportunity to make me feel like I've wasted another 5 years and hundreds of hours of gameplay? Don't think so.
Old February 24 2013, 04:01 AM   #1903
Ood Sigma
Commander

I didn't hate the ending either, but I will grant you I only ever saw the Extended Cut. I did dislike the final mission - it was brutally difficult to the point where I said, "This isn't fun any more".

I'm more than willing to give Mass Effect 4 a go. I'm in it for the story, not the game mechanics. I'm interested to see where they'll take the story since they now have the opportunity to take it in any direction.
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 04:55 AM   #1904
Mr Light
Admiral

Dumb question... I'm not on X-Box Live so I don't get DLC missions... do any of them take place after the ending or alter the ending in anyway? Do we have any canon hints to what happens afterwards?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 05:03 AM   #1905
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

All of the single player dlc for Mass Effect 3 is intended for use during the main storyline. It doesn't link to any particular mission or area of the plot, but doing the dlc after the ending wouldn't work in this game. Mass Effect 2, yes, but not Mass Effect 3.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote