RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 499
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 27 2012, 09:30 PM   #1786
Ood Sigma
Commander

Re: Mass Effect 3

Yeah, I had a couple tries at the "just survive" strategy. The problem is that those damn Banshees would always trap me in a corner. My strategy became to kill them as quickly as possible and then when everyone else overran my position, I started running around and shooting like a madman. I finally managed to survive. Of course I was on the opposite end of the map from where I needed to be. I was sure I was going to die just trying to get to the missiles but somehow I made it.

Overall I wasn't a fan of the final mission on Earth. It seemed hard for the sake of being hard.
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 11:21 PM   #1787
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

So ok... Just took a loot at the alternate appearance pack screenshots. I was thrilled to see the design of the new Shep armor, since it's what the N7 Demolisher (my favorite multiplayer class) wears, and I always wished my SP engineer could wear it... and then I saw the Cerberus logos all over it. Really, Bioware? REALLY? How does that make any sense in the context of ME3? That's like the equivalent of "Oh hey, Captain America, here's a new suit to give you an edge in fighting the Nazis. Oh, and it has swastikas on it. Hope you don't mind."

/FACEPALM
Old November 28 2012, 12:25 AM   #1788
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ Yeah, I saw the alternate 'Cerberus' armour and laughed;

Omega - It's better than Leviathan, but it's not without its problems. AD is in full effect, there's no decision wheel AT ALL. You get a few occasional interrupts but that's about it. Took me about 2 1/2 hours to complete, I'm not sure it's worth 1200 MSP.

As for my 'reward' for helping Aria retake Omega - Wow, thanks Aria, that's perfect for my LI.....hold on, I can't actually do anything with it?! WTF?! ARGH!

Enjoyed it far more than Leviathan, but they need to improve again for the next DLC IMO.
Old November 28 2012, 01:53 AM   #1789
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the cerberus livery either. It's be nice if the armour sets had alternate skins. Even a straight texture swap rather than the full set of color/pattern options would be fine. An N7, or Spectre version of the Ajax would have been very nice indeed. I mean come on now Bioware it's been three games now, can we please have some spectre armour?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 01:15 PM   #1790
Camren
Commodore

Anyone got/played the Omega DLC? Will download it this evening. Costs a tenner so it better be worth it.
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 01:40 PM   #1791
Steven
Admiral

Played it last night. It's ok, but I don't think it's the best Mass Effect DLC out there. In terms of Mass Effect 3 DLC I found Leviathan to be more enjoyable.
Old November 28 2012, 01:43 PM   #1792
Skywalker
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
^^ Yeah, I saw the alternate 'Cerberus' armour and laughed;

It's becoming harder and harder for me to take this company seriously anymore.

Help me, Dragon Age III. You're my only hope.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 03:40 PM   #1793
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Just finished it. According to my saves it took me 4 and a half hours in two sittings (started it last night) so the claim that it's the longest DLC to date seems accurate. Granted I was taking my time, looking around the maps for all pick-ups (yet somehow missed the spare part for that batarian engineer), read all the new codex entries and took time speaking with Aria after the missions so I'm sure one could easily cut an hour off of that.

Overall I'd say it was very good, but falls short of being the best DLC. As with the main game, there are a lot of wasted opportunities. The ending I thought was a little sudden and somewhat shallow. I won't get into spoilers but I was very disappointed with the way they handled the reason why Nyreen couldn't come back to the Normandy with you. Also, not getting Omega as a hub world after completing the DLC feels like a *huge* wasted opportunity. Even if it was nothing more than a few extra scan quests and an upgrade shop. On the postive side, they're certainly continuing Leviathan's trend of borrowing certain things from Multiplayer, which adds a nice amount of variety to the combat.

One thing that surprised me though was that they appear to have made a new elcor asset. It may just be a re-texture, but I swear the facial animations were different.
Old November 28 2012, 05:11 PM   #1794
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Granted I was taking my time, looking around the maps for all pick-ups (yet somehow missed the spare part for that batarian engineer), read all the new codex entries and took time speaking with Aria after the missions so I'm sure one could easily cut an hour off of that.
Oh, good, I'm not the only one who missed that the first time through.

One thing that surprised me though was that they appear to have made a new elcor asset. It may just be a re-texture, but I swear the facial animations were different.
That would surprise me, since the character was returning from ME2...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 11:40 PM   #1795
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...3-omega-review

Yep, this confirms it, I'm not going to waste my time getting this right now. I refuse to pay more than $10 for ANY DLC. I'll just wait for it to go on sale or something.
Old November 29 2012, 01:07 AM   #1796
Steven
Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
Granted I was taking my time, looking around the maps for all pick-ups (yet somehow missed the spare part for that batarian engineer), read all the new codex entries and took time speaking with Aria after the missions so I'm sure one could easily cut an hour off of that.
I missed it too. Along with the 3rd computer terminal for the hacker apparently.
Old November 29 2012, 01:36 AM   #1797
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post

The quality started to nosedive the instant EA took over. The source of the problem is obvious. Since the problem isn't going anywhere, I'd expect the nosedive to continue.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 02:30 AM   #1798
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Steven wrote: View Post
I missed it too. Along with the 3rd computer terminal for the hacker apparently.
Did anyone else keep finding Turians to revive? I never did find out what the point of that was. I half expected it to be for some sidequest or achievement, but I didn't see anything pop up.
Old November 29 2012, 01:07 PM   #1799
Camren
Commodore

Steven wrote: View Post
Did anyone else keep finding Turians to revive? I never did find out what the point of that was. I half expected it to be for some sidequest or achievement, but I didn't see anything pop up.
Well at least one of them was found at the Talon base camp and thanks Shepard. But there were a few others I revived and don't think I saw them again. Although they all look the same...
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 02:41 PM   #1800
bullethead
Fleet Captain

-Brett- wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post

The quality started to nosedive the instant EA took over. The source of the problem is obvious. Since the problem isn't going anywhere, I'd expect the nosedive to continue.
I don't think the problem is EA - I think the problem is that Bioware hamstrung themselves with a lot of the design and narrative decisions they made in this game and we're just seeing how badly they screwed themselves over with the DLC, since they're running up against those problems and having to work around or avoid dealing with them.