Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old January 13 2014, 12:13 PM   #316
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Re: Fan Filmmaker's Primer

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
I'm 44 in a matter of days. I started dabbling 10 years ago. I'm still mediocre as hell, but getting better.
Mediocre is absolutely NOT the word I would use to describe your efforts, Nick. You've done some outstanding stuff over the years!
Thanks, but I really wasn't fishing for compliments. I just like to be honest, and I'm fairly self-aware of my abilities (both my strengths and weaknesses). Or at least I think I am.
Old January 13 2014, 05:39 PM   #317
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I'm 44 in a matter of days. I started dabbling 10 years ago. I'm still mediocre as hell, but getting better.
Mediocre is absolutely NOT the word I would use to describe your efforts, Nick. You've done some outstanding stuff over the years!
Thanks, but I really wasn't fishing for compliments. I just like to be honest, and I'm fairly self-aware of my abilities (both my strengths and weaknesses). Or at least I think I am.
I know. More than most (if not all) of the continuing fan film writer/producers, you have (at least from my own observation) been the most receptive to feedback, considerate of your growing pains as a writer/performer, and have always struck me as being genuinely looking for ways to grow and improve. These are great, great qualities to have. I for one find it refreshing and quite nice to find that kind of perspective and I do appreciate it.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 05:49 PM   #318
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Thanks. I really wish I had more time to work at it.
Old January 13 2014, 10:09 PM   #319
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Maurice wrote: View Post
  • If you write a Trek Fanfilm, try to do one with next to ZERO visual effects. The effects frequently become a bottleneck that keeps films in post for lengthy period or forever. If you can get it all in camera (except maybe some ship flybys) then you actually have a film even if your effects pipeline falls apart.
It's always the case with our productions. The more VFX, the longer it takes to complete.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 10:41 PM   #320
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Maurice has it right. Put the story first. If it's a good story it will work in any genre. The special fx and setting will simply provide the framework. I would say get your story first. After that you can make decisions on what kind of sets to build, or whether to rent some of the facilities that are available. But without a script in hand, you could find yourself in a very bad situation if you start shooting and realize you don't have the right sets or location, things could go south in a hurry.
MikeH92467 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 11:24 PM   #321
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Exactly right. Which is why I've been trying to tackle stories with minimal effects of late.
Old January 13 2014, 11:54 PM   #322
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Same here. The vignettes we've been shooting lately are sparse on the VFX. As a result, we've completed 6 more than we've released. Everything's waiting on the VFX-laden episode and two VFX-heavy vignettes.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 01:04 AM   #323
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

The effects-less production is one of the best suggestions offered on here. It's simple, straightforward, and liberating. Trek fan films are of course handicapped from the get-go by the desire to have effects.
Old January 14 2014, 01:12 AM   #324
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

There was a 1968 version of Stanislaw Lem's Solaris done for Soviet TV which has ZERO effects. It's all set in a space ship and space station and uses some stock rocket footage here and there.

turn on CC unless you understand Russian!
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 03:27 AM   #325
TayLaLaLa
Commodore

Such great advice as I said before and I applaud those who have contributed and those who are doing it.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 05:00 AM   #326
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

I got into watching fan films because I LOVED (and still love) INTREPID. By the way, I just updated and corrected the Intrepid page at Star Trek Reviewd, and Ulisses just updated the Portuguese Language Page's Intrepid section, too.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 07:32 AM   #327
dcsmokey
Commander

The original series of Star Trek had maybe 10 FX shots an episode, and many were stock footage. That Bob Justman knew how to maximize his shows time and budget

I think some, maybe most, fan films rely on VFX way too much at the cost of story.

In the early days, we would have 80+ shots. I'm thinking "In Harm's Way" has almost 200 shots if you count phaser shots, Transporter scenes and green screen shots.

Nowadays, I encourage the use of way less VFX shots and more emphasis on character driven story.

Star Trek is a morality play presented in the skin of science fiction. My challenge to the teams I work with are to return to the story and stop treating each episode like a major movie event with 100's of VFX shots.

The simple morality play is much more appealing to me and truer to Star Trek than recreating a Battle of Wolf 359 type shot/episode.

Star Trek is at its best when commenting on the human condition on a weekly basis rather than as a summer movie tent pole event (as the JJ movies are).

I know fan films cannot be a weekly occurrence as all of us have real jobs and commitments, but it would sure be nice to see a real Trek episode being made by the fans rather than some sort of "event film" burdened with stunt casting and elaborate VFX which causes, in some productions cases, YEARS of delay in getting them done.
dcsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 07:35 AM   #328
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Jack Marshall! Good to see you around!
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 07:43 AM   #329
dcsmokey
Commander

Greetings Sir! Nice to see you're still around these parts as one of the voices I've always enjoyed.
dcsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 08:20 AM   #330
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

I see we're on the same page here.

Get it in camera is my motto. I shoot on greenscreen only when forced to, and I always try to minimize the number of VFX shots and keep them simple.

Using Wolf 359 as an example, let's not forget that originally we never saw the battle. We just saw a few shots of shattered hulks. That was waaaaay more impactful (and a helluva lot less complex) than showing starships going pew pew pew. What we imaged was surely more horrifying than any effects could have portrayed.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote