Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 8 2011, 06:00 AM   #46
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: Inception - on DVD/ BR now

^It allows the plot to be possible. Nothing more. The tech and science behind it is never explained, nor should it be.
Old February 8 2011, 11:01 PM   #47
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

People say this was a popcorn movie. I beg to differ. I brought in a bacon double cheeseburger so for me it was a bacon double cheeseburger movie.
Old February 8 2011, 11:31 PM   #48
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

I'm still trying to untie my brain after watching it

One of the best movies of the year and awesomely scripted.. Nolan firing on all cylinders.

And to think i thought "What kind of crap is this??" after i saw the first teasers and trailers which explained nothing about the story.
Old February 8 2011, 11:49 PM   #49
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, pretty much the dream machine is a MacGuffin it doesn't do anything but allow the plot to be possible. It's something you have to hand-wave away as how it works isn't the point of the story. Hell even the heist isn't part of the story. They both just are vehicles to allow them to tell the real story. Namely our perceptions of reality and more so Cobb's own internal struggles with the death of his wife and his involvement with it.

He "blames himself" for her death and he's trying to cope with that and recover from that so he can move on with his life and be with his kids again. That's what this movie is about (and why the ending is in the "real world.")

People who have lost spouses likely "blame themselves" for either not seeing the signs or not doing enough to prevent it or maybe even doing or saying something that may have caused it. (When in reality the suicide was caused by the person who committed it and no one else.) So Cobb's suffering from the death of his wife sent him on a downward spiral that made him an addict to substance abuse (in the movie the dream-machine and dream-sharing fills this role), detached from his kids (in the movie by being thousands of miles away from them for an extended time). Over the course of this movie Cobb confronts these inner demons, rejoins his life and stops blaming himself.

The dream stuff is just an interesting way to present all of this to an audience.

Now, on the DVD set, as well as on the internet, there is a a "copy" of the dream sharing machine's manual but it's more on operations and how to use it. It doesn't tell you HOW it works sort of like how your TV's manual doesn't get into rapidly electrifying pixels into a desired pattern.

But we can infer that the dream machine cycles the drugs across the bodies carrying the "dream information" with some component of the drug. Somehow it's able to do this without blood type needing to be an issue.

It's possible better thought needed to go into presenting the device (by needing them to put something in our around their head) to give things a better sense of the brain involvement but, again, how the dream machine works doesn't matter.
Old February 8 2011, 11:54 PM   #50
Aragorn
Admiral

What I'd be curious to know is how a dream of the dream machine within a dream works like an actual dream machine.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2011, 11:58 PM   #51
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
What I'd be curious to know is how a dream of the dream machine within a dream works like an actual dream machine.
The same way a car works in a dream like an actual car. (In that I get in it, operate it and it takes me places.) If I know how it works, or should work, that's how it behaves in the dream. The "dreamers" are able to so control their dreams they're able to allow it to work within the dream the way it's supposed to work in the real world.
Old February 9 2011, 12:01 AM   #52
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain

Aragorn wrote: View Post
^^ err... Quantum! oh wait, that's star trek

RIP Doctor Who 1963-1996
Capt_Pickirk is offline   Reply With Quote