Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 8 2010, 01:25 PM   #16
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Inception - on DVD/ BR now

Both of these facets are intertwined with each other though...maybe they weren't important to you but they're still important to the film structure as anything else in the film and I've seen the film multiple times.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2010, 06:04 PM   #17
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Sure they are both important. I never said they weren't. however, I believe that when the structure seems to be more important to the viewer than the emotional story. Even people that praise the film say that moll is more of a cypher than a character, and despite flashbacks, the emotional of their story is one that we are told about by Dom and w don't actually experience it too much. However, the viewer is experience the little tricks the film plays with layer and structure and narrative, so naturally we are more involved in that.
Old December 8 2010, 08:04 PM   #18
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

You're saying that you are more involved in that and are making an assumption that others will be as well based on your viewpoint. I'm saying I wasn't. I was equally involved in both aspects of the film. The emotional core of the film combined with the structure of the film and it's multifaceted layers. It's okay that we disagree

Old December 9 2010, 06:32 AM   #19
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Good movie. I understood it. The level of the dream and time progressing longer and longer as you go down was intriguing.

It might take a few more viewings to get the smaller stuff. I guess i'd better dig deeper
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2010, 07:25 AM   #20
Aragorn
Admiral

Got my briefcase. It's A LOT smaller than the Blade Runner briefcase.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2010, 08:13 AM   #21
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Picked it up today from JB HiFi, as got the DVD/BR/DDL combo for $25. Already watched the special features on the DVD. Gonna watch the DVD later tonight.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2010, 01:17 AM   #22
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

The film is a subject of heated discussion in our office, where one of the temps has picked up the box set and not really let us stop hearing about it.

I tried to make him see that Inception is just a pretty straight forward heist movie, and nothing more special than that. It features a dead beat dad, trying to get back his kids after his junkie wife topped herself. Some corporate suits employ him to (and here's the special bit) not steal something but instead lead another emotionless suit to a location where he can pick up some bogus information.

Instead of plush hotels or mountain top lairs, we get (and here's the other special bit) locations that are in other people's minds! Except that the insides of their minds don't look all that different from those plush hotels or mountain top lairs.

And in the end we wonder if the "hero" managed to get away with his prize/out of limbo or, if we accept what I've been told is Nolan's version of events, that it doesn't matter anyway because it's all about whether Cobb is happy or not.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I was left feeling like I felt after watching "There Will Be Blood". After the slightly too loud music is all done, is there anything left to enjoy?
Old December 10 2010, 02:18 AM   #23
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Saw it for the first time, really good film...I'll be revising my best SF movie list i see.

RAMA
Old December 10 2010, 05:31 AM   #24
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

The Squire of Gothos wrote: View Post
The film is a subject of heated discussion in our office, where one of the temps has picked up the box set and not really let us stop hearing about it.

I tried to make him see that Inception is just a pretty straight forward heist movie, and nothing more special than that. It features a dead beat dad, trying to get back his kids after his junkie wife topped herself. Some corporate suits employ him to (and here's the special bit) not steal something but instead lead another emotionless suit to a location where he can pick up some bogus information.

Instead of plush hotels or mountain top lairs, we get (and here's the other special bit) locations that are in other people's minds! Except that the insides of their minds don't look all that different from those plush hotels or mountain top lairs.

And in the end we wonder if the "hero" managed to get away with his prize/out of limbo or, if we accept what I've been told is Nolan's version of events, that it doesn't matter anyway because it's all about whether Cobb is happy or not.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I was left feeling like I felt after watching "There Will Be Blood". After the slightly too loud music is all done, is there anything left to enjoy?
The setting, the premise, the mind-bending use of dreams and how they "work." Yeah there's a lot to miss and your overly simplified plot-synopsis seems to muddle some details. (Cobb, for example, wasn't a dead-beat dad. He was a dad who couldn't return home due to the murder charge and all.)
Old December 10 2010, 05:51 AM   #25
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Inception in "real time"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHBlYJ-tKcs
Old December 10 2010, 06:50 AM   #26
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Heh. Kinda nifty.
Old December 10 2010, 11:56 AM   #27
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

@The Squire of Gothos...I've never read or heard of your take on the movie before but as Trekker stated yeah it's a little simplified. Cobb was hardly a "dead beat dad" if he was he wouldn't care about getting back to them would he? You'd have to classify Cobb as a junkie too and not just label Mall as one since they were both hooked on their dream reality. I disagree with your notion that this is a straight heist film. There are too many complex notions and interesting character relationships for "Inception" to be labeled as one particular genre.

Old December 10 2010, 12:39 PM   #28
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
@The Squire of Gothos...I've never read or heard of your take on the movie before but as Trekker stated yeah it's a little simplified. Cobb was hardly a "dead beat dad" if he was he wouldn't care about getting back to them would he? You'd have to classify Cobb as a junkie too and not just label Mall as one since they were both hooked on their dream reality. I disagree with your notion that this is a straight heist film. There are too many complex notions and interesting character relationships for "Inception" to be labeled as one particular genre.
Hell, the entire cast are "junkies" under his interpretation.

Now, it seems the "idea" seems to be that dream-sharing is supposed to be a little bit of a "drug" this is mostly evident in Yusuf's lab where he talks about "sharp stuff", people coming there to "wake up." The idea being that it's something of an Opium Den. And the whole thing of the dream "sharing" is treated as such, giving Ariadne a "free sample" before she decides she has to come back for more, etc. But a lot of it is because the dream-world is "pure creation" and the vividness and lucidity of it all is powerful.

So I could see the "dream sharing as a drug" angle... Maybe. But it's still sort of dishonest.

But, yeah, Cobb wasn't a "dead beat dad" and their caper is a bit more complex than a straight-up heist. I mean they weren't breaking into th guy's mind to get secrets, to steal money or anything like that they were doing it to implant an idea in him and, further, they even made him part of the heist. So it's a bit more complex than a straight-up "heist movie."

So it has elements of a "drug movie" and "heist movie" but it also has all of these other elements in it that makes it a bit more wilder than that.
Old December 10 2010, 01:05 PM   #29
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yeah I think the dream machine it's self the PASIV device was like a metaphor for a heroin needle or something. That is an interesting aspect that hasn't really been touched as far as I know.

Old December 10 2010, 06:50 PM   #30
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I don't know if anyone caught this but at the end Cobb's son said he was a building house out of dirt or something. Future architect maybe?

Also I was wondering about the plane flight. It's assumed everyone went to the bathroom(except Yusuf LOL)

It must have been a pretty messy airplane floor or everyone was rushing for the bathroom after waking up. Also there's restless leg syndrome and blood clots forming since they weren't moving around.

Also the music is fantastic. I already had "Mombasa" but then I got "Time"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibX4WbnFdHo