Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 25 2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile
A 1999 TOS CGI series?

I was just checking out Trekcore's page on the legendary Star Trek computer game "Secret of Vulcan Fury" (it is a crime this game remains unreleased), when I noticed :

Many of the artists who worked on Secret of Vulcan Fury ended up working on Roughnecks: Starship Troopers (a CGI TV series). After Roughnecks finished, Paramount seriously considered making a CGI series based on the Original Series.

Never heard about it before. Does anyone have any more details? Trekcore has a few downloads which were apparently leaked demos if you want to see how it might have looked (Just don't download the Goodfellas/Spock one at work ).

Do you think this series could have worked?
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Re: A 1999 TOS CGI series?

Unfortunately rumour has it everything created and including all the finished voice over work(Deforest last Star Trek work), was seized, wiped and sold when interplay went bankrupt......and there was also talk of stuff just being dumped in skips......this came from one of the game devs working on the project a few years later...as a matter of fact some here including myself contacted the guy and that's basically what he said......its all long gone.

A true tragedy indeed.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Shatner_Fan
Ensign

There is such a hunger for Trek right now (and the popularity of animation is at an all-time high), that I really wish Paramount would take advantage of the animation and direct to DVD markets, as Warner Bros. has done so successfully with the DC superheroes. Awhile back I suggested that they make an animated TOS movie set in the prime timeline with the voices of Shatner, Nimoy, and Karl Urban as McCoy. This would probably be our best chance to see Shatner and Nimoy reprise their roles one more time, and every Trekkie in the world would want to see it!
Shatner_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Rather than CG animation - which I generally like a lot, BTW - I'd rather see a TOS series animated something like the Paul Dini DC Universe shows and direct-to-DVD movies are. It's harder to do something really stylish with CG character animation on a limited budget and time-frame, IMAO, than it is with traditional animation. Use CG to develop a lot of the environments instead.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2011, 11:31 PM   #5
Ensign Ro-
Commander

View Ensign Ro-'s Twitter Profile

I would absolutely love seeing a new animated Trek series. Even though I am a TOS Trekkie from the 60's, I'd welcome a series of this kind set in any century. I have become a huge fan of the series "Archer". Every time I watch that I think the Flash-style animation used in it would translate very well to a very stylish Trek series. I am currently learning new Flash techniques and will be attempting to produce an online motion comic using some of the techniques.
Ensign Ro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 12:07 AM   #6
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

I agree with both Dennis and Ensign Ro. I would love to see an animated series, but not CG, and "Archer" is a terrific little series that a lot of productions could learn a lot from.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 12:12 AM   #7
Botany Bay
Commodore

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
Unfortunately rumour has it everything created and including all the finished voice over work(Deforest last Star Trek work), was seized, wiped and sold when interplay went bankrupt......and there was also talk of stuff just being dumped in skips......this came from one of the game devs working on the project a few years later...as a matter of fact some here including myself contacted the guy and that's basically what he said......its all long gone.

A true tragedy indeed.
I find it hard to believe someone wouldn't have made a copy of the audio for themselves. It's also a bit surprising that the liquidators didn't offload such a valuable asset when Interplay was wound up.

But yeah, you'd think it would have surfaced on the internet somewhere by now if it still exists.

Anyway, as for the 1999 series, it's likely Rick Berman would have been involved. By then he was getting a bit stale, so maybe it was for the best that it never got up. It would have been hard to imagine Nimoy signing on to read Star Trek : Voyager caliber scripts.

I agree with your comments guys, that animation is the only chance we've got to see TOS again. Direct to DVD sounds great, and casting unknown voice actors wouldn't cost the earth either.

You'd wonder if the magic would be there without the original cast though.
Old March 26 2011, 01:08 AM   #8
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post

A true tragedy indeed.
I find it hard to believe someone wouldn't have made a copy of the audio for themselves. It's also a bit surprising that the liquidators didn't offload such a valuable asset when Interplay was wound up.

But yeah, you'd think it would have surfaced on the internet somewhere by now if it still exists.

Anyway, as for the 1999 series, it's likely Rick Berman would have been involved. By then he was getting a bit stale, so maybe it was for the best that it never got up. It would have been hard to imagine Nimoy signing on to read Star Trek : Voyager caliber scripts.

I agree with your comments guys, that animation is the only chance we've got to see TOS again. Direct to DVD sounds great, and casting unknown voice actors wouldn't cost the earth either.

The way the dev guy told it is that one day the door to their offices and building were just closed and locked and the liquidators were in removing everything just after interplay went down the tubes, he said people were in their just picking up everything of value and taking it away, and computers and stuff were wiped and sold on as that was the standard practice of the time.......plus by this time SOVF had been on hold for a while anyway due to behind the scene personality problems and spiraling costs, the game according to that game dev had basically been put on permanent hiatus as of late 1998 and the whole SOVF team were gone prior to interplay going down the tubes.

There was talk at one point that somebody actually bought the recordings of the cast voice work from somebody who bought interplay liquidated equipment, and they were trying to sell it over the net a few years ago.......but that lead never went anywhere simply because nobody could get in touch with the person selling them.

But that's about as much as i can remember.....sad to think that at least the voice work might just be lost forever as it might have went into doing a CGI movie or something at some point now that ST is on the way up again.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 01:58 AM   #9
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It would have been hard to imagine Nimoy signing on to read Star Trek : Voyager caliber scripts.
Not if one has watched all of TOS, particularly the third year, and TAS...not to mention any number of other projects Nimoy was involved in. If there was a sticking point, it would have been money.

Then hire the actors from Abrams's Trek movie - that one works just fine.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 03:04 AM   #10
Kail
Commodore

New animated Trek, in any form, could be great!

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 03:10 AM   #11
RAMA
Vice Admiral

New animated series....where's the "like" button>???
Old March 26 2011, 03:48 AM   #12
MANT!
Rear Admiral

An account at the following..
http://www.itsuckstobejoe.com/interplay.asp

He ( CEO/CFO of Interplay, Herve Caen ) also tried to milk a popular title with cheaply made games that had little to do with the original product, other than a similar name..... In a stroke of utter stupidity, he closed down the game division responsible for some of Interplay biggest sellers, and fired all its personnel only days after it created a working demo of a long requested sequel to one of Interplay's most popular titles.
Interplay was run into the ground like many companies..by poor management..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titus_Software

And then was liquidated...with the results seen above...

With the death of Foundation Imaging in 2002, interest in a TOS based CGI series died...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_Imaging

Last edited by MANT!; March 26 2011 at 04:01 AM.
MANT! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 02:19 PM   #13
Botany Bay
Commodore

Thanks for the info goldbug.

Dennis wrote: View Post
It would have been hard to imagine Nimoy signing on to read Star Trek : Voyager caliber scripts.
Not if one has watched all of TOS, particularly the third year, and TAS...not to mention any number of other projects Nimoy was involved in. If there was a sticking point, it would have been money.
I'm sure that would have been the case before he was financially set up. We've all gotta eat

But by the late 90's he probably didn't need to work unless he felt like it. I remember him knocking back the director's chair on Generations. As far as I know it was because he had some issues with the script, rather than money.

Dennis wrote: View Post

Then hire the actors from Abrams's Trek movie - that one works just fine.
True that. I'm assuming these guys are now priced out of any animated project after the success of ST09 though.
Old March 28 2011, 11:55 PM   #14
arch101
Fleet Captain

I had thought for years that a new animated show based on TOS post-TMP would be great. But, with 2 cast members gone and the rest getting very old, the opportunity has now past.
Old March 29 2011, 12:18 AM   #15
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Wasn't there suppossed to have been a tie-in novel SOVF by D.C. Fontana?