Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 29 2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Ineedtrekfans
Cadet

I need Star Trek Fans!! (what better place!)

As the title states I need Star Trek fans. (PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS POST BEFORE RESPONDING!!!!!!!)

I am a college student and currently writing a paper. I am also a pretty hard core star wars fan. I am writing a paper about cultures that I am not naturally a part of. So I thought trekies through the eyes of a star wars fan.
So I need Star Trek fans of any age, size, color, gender, whatever, that are aware or a part of the sort of on-going "war" between Star Wars and Star Trek cultures and that are willing to answer a few questions either through e-mail or phone whatever. I'm pretty busy so a face-to-face contact, though ideal, may not be possible.

Also be aware that this is completely voluntary and this is for a humanities class so some of the questions may sound very personal and if there is anything you want "off-record" (such as statements, age, and gender, whatever) please let me know and I will respect your wishes.

Please respond via e-mail if possible (ekcandelaria@gmail.com) Thanks so much!!!
Ineedtrekfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 03:27 AM   #2
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: I need Star Trek Fans!! (what better place!)

I think you are going to find Star Trek fans VERY unwilling to participate in this. Given the stereotypes we are subjected to regardless of how normally many of us live our lives, many of us are very leery of potential exploitation. I know I want no part of it.
Old November 30 2010, 07:03 AM   #3
Ineedtrekfans
Cadet

I understand your concern and I am not forcing anyone into anything they don't want to do. But I want there to be no misunderstanding. This is not about exploitation, infact it is about the exact opposite. This paper is about getting to know a culture that is not my own. It is meant to be fun friendly, and slightly toung-in-cheek. Meant to be getting to know another culture through the eye's of a very similar culture. So If you don't want to be a part of it that is perfectly fine, but please don't misunderstand my intentions.
Old November 30 2010, 11:49 PM   #4
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Ineedtrekfans wrote: View Post
I need Star Trek fans of any age, size, color, gender, whatever, that are aware or a part of the sort of on-going "war" between Star Wars and Star Trek cultures
No war for me, I adore BOTH franchises - although Trek is admittedly my favourite. Conflicts of this nature between "warring" fans are fairly ridiculous IMO. Probably says quite a lot about their maturity.
Old December 1 2010, 02:39 AM   #5
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I need Star Trek fans of any age, size, color, gender, whatever, that are aware or a part of the sort of on-going "war" between Star Wars and Star Trek cultures
No war for me, I adore BOTH franchises - although Trek is admittedly my favourite. Conflicts of this nature between "warring" fans are fairly ridiculous IMO. Probably says quite a lot about their maturity.
I agree with LOKAI. I love both franchises (and I'm also a Harry Potter fan).
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2010, 04:05 PM   #6
The Wormhole
Admiral

So I need Star Trek fans of any age, size, color, gender, whatever, that are aware or a part of the sort of on-going "war" between Star Wars and Star Trek cultures
There's a "war" going on between Trek and Wars fans? First I've heard about that. I myself am a fan of both franchises, and I think you'll find quite a few Star Wars fans among the Trek BBS. The Sci-Fi and Fantasy forum frequently has Star Wars discussions going on, be they review threads for the recent Clone Wars episodes, threads about upcoming novels, or even threads discussing rumours and plans for the franchise's future. There is no war of any kind between Trek and Wars fans. Here on Trek BBS, we accept that anything has entertainment value.

Now there are websites out there which are still debating whether the Enterprise can take on a Star Destroyer, but those sites are both silly and outdated.
Old December 1 2010, 05:14 PM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Now there are websites out there which are still debating whether the Enterprise can take on a Star Destroyer, but those sites are both silly and outdated.
Because we all know that any Enterprise would absolutely own a Star Destroyer.
Old December 1 2010, 05:38 PM   #8
Ineedtrekfans
Cadet

so.....not helping me with my paper then? haha! thanks for responding guys but I do need interview subject for my paper so please respond to my e-mail if you are willing. If not thanks for the replies anyhow.
Old December 1 2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Leroy
Fleet Captain

You can send me those questions through a pm if you want.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2010, 01:36 AM   #10
Robert DeSoto
Lieutenant Commander

^ same with me. send a PM
Robert DeSoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2010, 01:40 AM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'll answer the questions as well. Send a PM.

Last edited by BillJ; December 2 2010 at 03:36 AM.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2010, 03:24 AM   #12
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I adore BOTH franchises
Myself as well. I've engaged in a few debates/arguments on other boards concerning this subject, both the empire and the federation have certain advantages over the other. Although the the federation will always possess a unique strategic near guarantee of victory.

Send me your questions as well, via PM.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2010, 03:40 AM   #13
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

I'm mostly ambivalent about Star Wars (although I can enjoy the movies and consider Empire to be a science fiction masterpiece), so I suspect I wouldn't be much use. Different people like different things, and Star Wars is a bit more accessible at the end of the day. However I will participate in this if a case of Old Crow whiskey (I'm a cheap date) is delivered to my front door by nine a.m. tomorrow morning.

You have twelve seconds to decide.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2010, 03:51 AM   #14
The Wormhole
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Because we all know that any Enterprise would absolutely own a Star Destroyer.
But what if the Star Destroyer was commanded by Batman, and he had time to prepare?

Not that it matters, since neither the Enterprise nor a Star Destoyer (regardless of if Batman were on either ship or not) could defeat the TARDIS.
Old December 4 2010, 01:42 AM   #15
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Has anyone every heard back from this guy? Not only said to PM me, but also sent him (him?) a email telling him to email me back at one of my yahoo accounts. Nothing.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote