RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,148
Posts: 5,402,055
Members: 24,748
Currently online: 571
Newest member: ChrisCrash

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 4 2010, 07:08 AM   #1
HoneyBLilly
Commodore
 
HoneyBLilly's Avatar
 
Location: Tumblr Gardens
Is Seven of Nine the female version of Wesley Crusher?

Here's the supporting evidence:

1. Seven saves the ship every episode: see One and Scientific Method as notables.
Wesley save the ship a good portion of the time, think The Naked Now when he was "drunk" and The Game, which is actually a good episode.

2. Both are "eye candy" and were used for viewers
Jeri Ryan, does much more actually have to be said. She was used to bring more men into Voyager.
Wil Wheaton, teenage heartthrob. And Wesley, while he was a super genius, he was also added to get teens into Star Trek and to show them that they could have a super brain as well. That was the intention at least.

3. Both got saved multiple times. Seven's rescuings leading to the shippers of J/7 and Wesley's leading to death threats for Wil Wheaton.
Save Seven: Equinox II, Voyager Conspiracy, Natural Law(but it was Chakotay as well) Survival Instincts, and the Gift.
Wesley: Justice(Planet Playboy), Final Mission, and The First Duty to a degree

4. Both are near insufferable at times.
Seven, Janeway listens to far too much, ignores Janeway's orders, and basically steals the show unless you are the Doctor or Janeway(to a degree). And should I add she steals Chakotay?
Wesley, "I don't know much about brain scans. But I compared these to the readings and they're exactly the same." Need I say more?
Seven: Omega Directive(disregard for Janeway) and basically every episode in season 4, and Human Error and those gag-worthy parts of Endgame.
Wesley: The Battle, Justice, basically every episode he's in minus Final Mission, the Game, and First Duty.

5. Both get special attention from the Captain.
Seven: already went over this
Wesley: gets to become Acting Ensign and later Ensign in Menage a Troi

So I'm inclined to believe that Seven is Voyager's Mary-Sue, I mean Wesley Crusher.

Last edited by HoneyBLilly; December 4 2010 at 10:21 PM.
HoneyBLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 07:58 AM   #2
billcosby
Commodore
 
billcosby's Avatar
 
Location: billcosby
Re: Is Seven of Nine the female version of Wesley Crusher?

mairbeariepie wrote: View Post
Here's the supporting evidence:
2. Both are "eye candy"
...Wil Wheaton, teenage heartthrob.
I'll take your word for it (no offense to Wheaton) :P
In answer to your question, no. Wesley was included in the cast as the genius kid from the start (original series bible). In fact, he was supposed to be a she but Paramount interfered.

Seven of Nine was brought it halfway through Voyager as an attempt to re-energize the series. I actually feel that it was successful, although recently I've been thinking a lot about Ryan/Mulgrew's friction bleeding into certain scenes. Maybe my imagination.

You're right about them being insufferable and getting special attention from the captain... but saving the ship, that torch gets passed around. Some days even Neelix or Geordi save the ship. Troi saved the Enterprise in her dreams, once!
__________________
My 1st Edition TrekCCG virtual expansion: http://billcosbytrekccg.blogspot.com/

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Is Seven of Nine the female version of Wesley Crusher?

It was never said, but I'm pretty sure that Wesley got laid, like he didn't pull some serious tail at the academy between red Squad and "When I was on the Enterprise..." ...Which makes the two of them fundamentally different...

Oh.

Seven was a goddess who was turning into a woman, meanwhile Wes was a boy who was turning into a god.

But you made some good points.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 08:36 AM   #4
billcosby
Commodore
 
billcosby's Avatar
 
Location: billcosby
Re: Is Seven of Nine the female version of Wesley Crusher?

^^ Ensign Ashley Judd I think was the closest on screen conquest of Wes... strongly implied, anyway.
__________________
My 1st Edition TrekCCG virtual expansion: http://billcosbytrekccg.blogspot.com/

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 09:53 AM   #5
HoneyBLilly
Commodore
 
HoneyBLilly's Avatar
 
Location: Tumblr Gardens
Re: Is Seven of Nine the female version of Wesley Crusher?

billcosby wrote: View Post
^^ Ensign Ashley Judd I think was the closest on screen conquest of Wes... strongly implied, anyway.
Don't forget the princess or whatever from the Dauphin, I think that was the episode.
HoneyBLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 09:58 AM   #6
CobraCommander
Lieutenant Commander
 
CobraCommander's Avatar
 
Location: Nor Cal
Re: Is Seven of Nine the female version of Wesley Crusher?

They were both unique in their own ways. In a few ways Kim and Kes combined could have been the equivalent of Wesley. Seven was a skillful drone who was trying to become a relatively normal human. Wesley started out as a boy but was seen as "special" by the Traveler. While Janeway used Seven as much as she could, Picard would have thrown him out of the nearest airlock at Farpoint. Other than the times they were stranded together, Picard always kept Wes at a distance. Seven and Janeway had a more mother/ daughter relationship. In a way I felt sorry for Wes. He was smarter than most of the Enterprise bridge officers. Had Kirk been substituted for Picard, he would have made a good protege out of him. He probably would have been the kid's real father... but that's another story. Cobra
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Itisnotlogical
Commodore
 
Itisnotlogical's Avatar
 
Location: Shufflin', shufflin', shufflin'...
Re: Is Seven of Nine the female version of Wesley Crusher?

The producers of Voyager made a bet with Wil Wheaton that his character would be more popular if he had gigantic banbangaas. Guess who won.
__________________
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 01:27 PM   #8
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Is Seven of Nine the female version of Wesley Crusher?

But it's not like Jeri could wear a cat suit as tight as Wil's because her banbangaas would be pushed into and under her arm pits.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 02:02 PM   #9
Voyager_freak
Cadet
 
Location: Tampa
Re: Is Seven of Nine the female version of Wesley Crusher?

7 is also like Data (or Spock) because of the exploring humanity bit...
Voyager_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 03:33 PM   #10
Robert D. Robot
Captain
 
Location: Pre-Warp Civilization of New England
Re: Is Seven of Nine the female version of Wesley Crusher?

In the course of seven seasons of TNG, I think pretty much everybody saved the ship several times... it's just that Wesley's groan-worthy saves in "The Naked Now" and "Where No One Has Gone Before" were early in the series, and these moments were, unfortunately, burned into our minds. This is my opinion, anyway!

Also, over the course of seven seasons, everybody needed to get rescued several times. For example, Geordi and his Romulan pal had to be rescued from Galorndon Core; had to be rescued from having his DNA rewritten into becoming that "invisible" alien in a too-tight bodysuit on Tarchannen III; from having his brain irradiated and destroyed by a Lore-controlled Data; from trying to rescue what he thought was his mother from the lower atmosphere of a gas giant; from the Pakleds; etc.

Not sure if Wes ever got to have any real fun with the Dauphin. Her bodyguard took the job VERY seriously! YIKES! Poor Wes....
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 03:43 PM   #11
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral
 
Shatnertage's Avatar
 
Location: Ward Fowler's gofer.
View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile
Re: Is Seven of Nine the female version of Wesley Crusher?

But is the bouffant the same?

And I like how, in that Dauphin clip, the bodyguard keeps on moaning/screeching like a guy who got kicked hard in the balls while its in its "monster" form.
__________________
I don't say 'sabotage.' You say 'sabotage.' I say 'sabataage."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2010, 10:41 PM   #12
kimc
Coffee Mod
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN USA
Re: Is Seven of Nine the female version of Wesley Crusher?

Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
In the course of seven seasons of TNG, I think pretty much everybody saved the ship several times... it's just that Wesley's groan-worthy saves in "The Naked Now" and "Where No One Has Gone Before" were early in the series, and these moments were, unfortunately, burned into our minds. This is my opinion, anyway!
I believe at one point there was a writer's strike. Before the strike the writers were asked to submit manuscripts where Wesley saves the ship. Once the strike was underway they didn't want stop filming so more than one script was shot.

Read this a while ago but don't recall where...
__________________
I'm certainly less inclined to bash Voyager now, it is not nearly as bad a show as many people make it out to be. - TheGodBen

Avatar by B'Elanna.
kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2010, 05:05 AM   #13
froot
Fleet Captain
 
froot's Avatar
 
Location: Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
Re: Is Seven of Nine the female version of Wesley Crusher?

^ If that's true, that's something I've never heard! Interesting tidbit :O

Honestly, and I know it was mentioned, but Seven seems much closer to Data than to Wes in my mind. Wes never struck me as an "outside looking in" kind of character.

However, I do see the parallels in the argument that they both saved the day a lot and were super special, smart, etc. I never minded Wes saving the day myself since I was a young girl and thought he was cute (granted, not a good reason to give the man a pass.) I would assume there are sections of the VOY audience who like seeing Seven save the day for the same reason, of course.

I think every character on both TNG and VOY got a chance to be a hero at least a few times. Seven and Wes likely stuck out more because of how they went about saving the ships with their specialness rather than with luck or tenacity. And, in Seven's case, she got a pretty disproportionate amount of attention around Season 4, which, IMO, evened out later.
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2010, 05:53 AM   #14
AuntKate
Commodore
 
AuntKate's Avatar
 
Location: USA--smack dab in the middle
Re: Is Seven of Nine the female version of Wesley Crusher?

I think the writers got lazy and used Seven's special "powers" and the doctor's versatility way too much. Same could be said for Wesley and Data in TNG.
__________________
"There's got to be a way to have our cake and eat it, too." CPT Janeway
AuntKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 03:21 PM   #15
Robert D. Robot
Captain
 
Location: Pre-Warp Civilization of New England
Re: Is Seven of Nine the female version of Wesley Crusher?

kimc wrote: View Post
Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
In the course of seven seasons of TNG, I think pretty much everybody saved the ship several times... it's just that Wesley's groan-worthy saves in "The Naked Now" and "Where No One Has Gone Before" were early in the series, and these moments were, unfortunately, burned into our minds. This is my opinion, anyway!
I believe at one point there was a writer's strike. Before the strike the writers were asked to submit manuscripts where Wesley saves the ship. Once the strike was underway they didn't want stop filming so more than one script was shot.

Read this a while ago but don't recall where...
Huh! That is pretty interesting. I had not heard that before!....

There is a Twilight Zone episode where a writer brings back Shakespeare to write ideas for the television show where he works. Shakespeare is confused and annoyed by the way sponsors, the network, the producer, the lead actor, etc., keep changing the scripts he comes up with (I think they they have to change the pet cat in one script into a dog because the show's sponsor is a dog food company). Serling was apparently complaining on-screen about the constraints he had to face as a writer.

Sorry- my main point is that we often don't know what tangental things happen behind the scenes that affects what appears onscreen....
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.