RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,704
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 432
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 1 2011, 04:55 PM   #256
Whofan
Fleet Captain

Re: Doctor Who: The Figure Thread

The Who figures for the most part are very well sculpted, and have decent articulation (At least after the first wave). There's also a lot of variety in the Doctor's themselves, although there are some notable exceptions. While not perfect, they are way, way better than the late 80s Dapol line, which had figures that looked more like they were made in the 70s.

As for the expressions, the first Tom Baker figure had swappable heads-one with the hat and the classic grin, the other with a more serious expression similar to his title sequence. However most of the Tom repaints/rereleases have gone with the serious head. Likewise, some of the McCoy figures also have a smiling expression.
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2011, 08:36 PM   #257
Worf2DS9
Writer

Those Cybermen actually look pretty decent, although would it have killed them to paint the under-armour suit a darker colour than the metallic? I suppose if I got one of these guys I could just fix that with my own paints, but still.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2011, 08:58 AM   #258
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

Whofan wrote: View Post
Some new figures have been announced. However, they're mostly repaints or re-releases:

-Enemies of the first Doctor set. With Tenth Planet Cybermen, Roboman (Who looks kitbashed from various Doctors) and Daleks Masterplan Dalek:

http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/enemies...tdoctorset.htm

Invasion of Time Sontaran set, with Stor and IOT Leela:

http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/leelaandstor.htm

Bearded Doctor in regular outfit, Toy soldier from Night Terrors, Two damaged Cybermen from Closing time and Cybermats:
http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/series6wave1.htm (Bottom of page)
With the exception of Stor and Leela, they're easy misses for me.

Re-released 10th Planet Cyb and a re-released Dalek with cheesey orange plastic to simulate a flamethrower? Bah! Not worth it for the Roboman (which I wouldn't want anyhow).

New series figures... variants and re-paints. Again, bah!

The original Leela release a few months ago was so flawed regarding QC issues that retailers had to discount them immediately. The two Sontaran sets were a Sonataran, a re-release of either the Third or Fourth Doctor and a big silver golf ball that opened up to reveal... a space so small the figure didn't even fit inside.

The toy line went from stellar to crap incredibly fast. Pretty much every collector I know has largely stopped collecting and I don't blame them.

However, since they're releasing Leela (a variant on a figure just released) with a Sontaran (that doesn't come with a big plastic ball of crap) I'll bite. This time.

But actually, CO's slipping standards have done my bank account a large favour. And they may do it another one as I'm thinking off selling of my entire collection except for one of each Doctor.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2011, 02:42 PM   #259
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

Im kinda hoping they decide to do a 11th in the green long coat...
Old October 4 2011, 11:38 PM   #260
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Seems like collectors prefer a smaller number of new figures, but the toy companies love churning out variants, because it's far cheaper for them.
Old October 6 2011, 03:57 AM   #261
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

P0sitr0nic wrote: View Post
Im kinda hoping they decide to do a 11th in the green long coat...

Oh yeah that's an obvious series 6 figure.

And the ultimate eleventh doctor figure

http://bigchiefstudios.co.uk/product...doctor_LE.html

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 11:44 AM   #262
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Yep, that is truly the ultimate 11th Doctor figure. That'll cost you a few quid, sure enough though...
Old October 13 2011, 12:58 PM   #263
dauntless
Lieutenant

I only have two - Policewoman Pond and Pandorica Song. Whilst I agree the sculpture is good, they could use a stand.
dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 02:54 PM   #264
Whofan
Fleet Captain

Finally, some good looking figures:

http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/enemies...ddoctorset.htm

Omega is the first modern WHO figure to have soft goods, I think; The Spearhead From Space style Auton looks cool, and the Drashig is actually a hand puppet as well...
Old October 17 2011, 02:58 PM   #265
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Omega is the first modern WHO figure to have soft goods, I think; The Spearhead From Space style Auton looks cool, and the Drashig is actually a hand puppet as well...
WOW ... That Omega is incredible. It probably has the closest likeness they've done in the entire range. He's definitely going on my shelf.
Old October 17 2011, 11:52 PM   #266
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

With SJA wrapping up, I really wish there were plans to do a set of the cast. Rani, Clyde, Luke, and Sky. Sarah and K9 are alredy covered.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2011, 12:10 AM   #267
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Omega, finally! And the rest of that set isn't too bad, either. Nice to finally see a Classic Auton, and while I don't personally care about them making a Drashig, it's great that they are doing some non-traditional "figures".

Speaking of non-traditional figs, there's also a three-piece "The Chase" set, which includes a Mechanoid.

Cutter John wrote: View Post
With SJA wrapping up, I really wish there were plans to do a set of the cast. Rani, Clyde, Luke, and Sky. Sarah and K9 are alredy covered.
You forgot Maria.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2011, 06:21 AM   #268
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

Omega looks fantastic. However the other two don't appeal to me. Too bad Omega isn't a single release or in a two-pack with a Third Doctor companion.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 01:06 PM   #269
Whofan
Fleet Captain

Peri and Sharaz Jek (Not a great picture yet). I assume the Peri is a repaint of the Vengeance On Varos, the Jek figure looks interesting...

http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/periandsharazjek.htm
Old October 19 2011, 02:31 PM   #270
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Peri and Sharaz Jek (Not a great picture yet). I assume the Peri is a repaint of the Vengeance On Varos, the Jek figure looks interesting...

http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/periandsharazjek.htm
Sweet. That Peri, I would buy. I wasn't about to get the earlier version with the turd on a stand as the second figure.

I did note on that page something funny ... I hadn't realized Caves of Androzani was an "eight-part" story. My DVD only has four parts.