May-June 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 30

Ross To Attend Trek Convention
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

William Shatner Presents Chaos On The Bridge US Premiere
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

Trek Phaser Monitor Mate Bobble Prop
By: T'Bonz on Apr 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 31 2015, 01:53 PM   #1
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Seasons of War

The short film, Seasons of War, made to promote the War Doctor fanthology, has been released. It's short, just five minutes.

We see the War Doctor; and are given an account of the Time War, through the eyes of a Gallifreyan girl. (She has a connection to the Matt Smith era; I'm not going to spoil it, but you have to read the credits.)

My major quibble -- why are families on Gallifrey living like they're fourteenth-century peasants?

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2015, 02:06 PM   #2
Mage
Commodore

Re: Seasons of War

Ok, no idea about the connection with the girl....

But a nice little short, that's for sure.
Old January 31 2015, 02:27 PM   #3
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Mage wrote: View Post
Ok, no idea about the connection with the girl....

But a nice little short, that's for sure.
Okay...

allyngibson.net
Old January 31 2015, 06:18 PM   #4
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Great short film. It made my heart break for the War Doctor who had to do things the other Doctors would have been afraid to do to save countless lives from destruction. Each act left a stain on his weary soul.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2015, 11:58 PM   #5
The Wormhole
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

We see the War Doctor; and are given an account of the Time War, through the eyes of a Gallifreyan girl. (She has a connection to the Matt Smith era; I'm not going to spoil it, but you have to read the credits.)
I didn't even need to get to the credits, I had it figured out when I saw that guy's arm.
Old February 1 2015, 06:37 AM   #6
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'm starting to wish that we had gotten to see more of the War Doctor. His story seems like one that could have easily taken up a whole show by itself.
Old February 1 2015, 03:59 PM   #7
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

So, I must be the only one who doesn't want to see more of the Warrior?

(Or, for that matter, the only one who doesn't call him the War Doctor - a silly name, by design)
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
(Or, for that matter, the only one who doesn't call him the War Doctor - a silly name, by design)
No more sillier than the titles of The Deadly Assassin, The Ambassadors of Death, The Carnival of Monsters, The Green Death...shall I go on? Silly comes with the territory.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2015, 04:22 PM   #9
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Emh wrote: View Post
No more sillier than the titles of The Deadly Assassin, The Ambassadors of Death, The Carnival of Monsters, The Green Death...shall I go on? Silly comes with the territory.
Those are episode titles. I was talking the official name given to the character narratively portrayed by John Hurt.

Old February 1 2015, 05:08 PM   #10
kirk55555
Commodore

He was the version of the Doctor that fought in the war, and didn't count himself among his numbered incarnations. The War Doctor fits perfectly, at least for me. One of the plot points of Day of the Doctor was realizing that The War Doctor was always The Doctor, even if for awhile both himself and different incarnations didn't consider himself to be. So, he wasn't a warrior. He was The Doctor, fighting in a war. The War Doctor. That's my thinking on it, at least
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2015, 05:36 PM   #11
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Thus, Moffat's "when Tennant was saying, as the Doctor, in the second season finale that he, the Doctor, fought in the War, I thought it didn't sound right. How could the Doctor fight in any war for that matter?" reasoning is both false and condescending.

Besides, the Eighth specifically said "make a Warrior." And he was "Doctor no more," immediately after.

Old February 1 2015, 06:35 PM   #12
DrFrankhamstien
Lieutenant

View DrFrankhamstien's Twitter Profile

And yet in pretty much every scene to feature him in Day of the Doctor, Hurt's incarnation was every bit the Doctor. We didn't see him fight a war, and we barely saw any reflection of the war on Hurt's Doctor. We were just told his deeds were so bad that he stopped calling himself the Doctor... Only, apparently, by the on screen evidence of Day, he didn't. Everybody called him the Doctor, including the Time Lords. It's a nice concept, a nice idea, but one with no practical use.

Lethbridge-Stewart
DrFrankhamstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2015, 06:39 PM   #13
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Those are episode titles. I was talking the official name given to the character narratively portrayed by John Hurt.
I could be recalling incorrectly, but he was never actually called "The War Doctor" by anyone (including himself) in "The Day of the Doctor." Instead, the name comes from the closing credits, i.e. something only stated on screen as text, which ties back to my original point: they're all silly titles/names.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2015, 06:47 PM   #14
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I could be recalling incorrectly, but he was never actually called "The War Doctor" by anyone (including himself) in "The Day of the Doctor." Instead, the name comes from the closing credits, i.e. something only stated on screen as text, which ties back to my original point: they're all silly titles/names.
You're willingly splitting heirs. The title of the narrative is not equal to the name of the character. When Clara calls the Eleventh Doctor "the Eleventh Doctor", she's not referencing an episode called "The Eleventh Doctor", but she's calling him by his name, and the number of times he was the Doctor.

The fact of the matter is, the Doctor wasn't the Doctor by himself, and if asked, he never responded "I'm the Doctor." More than likely, he responded as "I'm a Warrior." or added "of sorts".

It just makes more sense to call him The Warrior, because thats what he was meant to be from the minute he regenerated.

Old February 1 2015, 11:04 PM   #15
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

I think of Hurt's Doctor as the Doctor, which is the point of both "The Day of the Doctor" and Engines of War; his later incarnations may have rejected his memory to distance themselves from what they believe he did, but he's still the Doctor.

That's something that, in my opinion, Seasons of War gets wrong. The pitch document for the second anthology, for instance, stresses that he's not the Doctor and shouldn't be referred to as such. The story I pitched had an interesting approach to the terminology issue, but I've not heard anything, alas.

I generally only use the term "War Doctor" to make it clear which Doctor I'm talking about, same as I would use "the Camfield Doctor" or "the sixth Doctor" in instances where saying simply "the Doctor" would be unclear.

This, of course, raises an important question. Why and when did the ninth Doctor start referring to himself as "the Doctor" again? The post-regeneration period has a lot of interesting possibilities, and "The Day of the Doctor" poses questions that will probably never be answered.

allyngibson.net