IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 10 2012, 04:34 AM   #46
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: 'Cloud Atlas' (2012) Wachowski Brothers rumors/info until release

Time magazine obviously didn't see Tim & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie....
Old December 10 2012, 05:13 AM   #47
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

T'Baio wrote: View Post
Time magazine named it the worst film of the year.

Time magazine apparently has no taste and is stupid.
Clearly. It's going to be high on my list of the very best films of the year.
Old December 10 2012, 05:38 AM   #48
JD
Admiral

^They also included John Carter, which I absolutely loved.
Old December 10 2012, 05:55 AM   #49
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Weird, I tried to see this like three weeks or so after release and it was nowhere to be found.
Because it bombed.

T'Baio wrote: View Post
Time magazine named it the worst film of the year.

Time magazine apparently has no taste and is stupid.
Yeah, what the fuck? That's ridiculous.
Old December 10 2012, 08:20 AM   #50
Evil Headhunter
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Evil Headhunter Send a message via AIM to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Yahoo to Evil Headhunter

I understand it's all a matter of opinion, but out of the hundreds of films that were released this year, Time Magazine thinks Cloud Atlas is the single worst? That's mind-boggling stupid.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Evil Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 02:57 PM   #51
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Exactly. I mean, how could they think it's worse than, say, Playing for Keeps? Or Red Dawn?

Critics were certainly mixed about it, which to me is not a sign that it was bad, but at least not everyone's cup of tea.
Old December 10 2012, 05:22 PM   #52
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

It's just a contrarian thing. Naming a movie that most people really liked (an imdb score of 8.2 would point to that) gets them lots of free publicity, whereas nobody'd notice if they named some forgettable Adam Sandler movie. It's basically trolling on a bigger scale.
Old December 10 2012, 05:25 PM   #53
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
I understand it's all a matter of opinion, but out of the hundreds of films that were released this year, Time Magazine thinks Cloud Atlas is the single worst? That's mind-boggling stupid.
They probably are probably factoring in that it cost over $100 million to make - had enormous star power with stars like Hanks and Barry- yet was an undeniable box office flop.

I liked the film personally, albeit it was a tad long.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 08:08 PM   #54
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

While I loved Cloud Atlas personally and would rate it one of my top five films of the year, I wouldn't begrudge a reviewer who listed as one of the most disappointing films of the year, because their expectations from the trailers or book were not met. It's like Prometheus for me. It's not by any means one of the worst movies of the year if you include all the hundreds of films released, but it was a huge disappointment for me based on my expectations. Obviously not everyone enjoyed Cloud Atlas or found it engrossing or an impressive technical achievement the way I did, and I can respect that.

But including it in the list of the ten worst films of the year, and putting it at the top of that list is pretty hard to reconcile for me with all the crap that been out there this year (and every year). It comes off as contrarian trolling for publicity in the style of Armond White as AvBaur suggests rather than reasonable criticism. Even if you didn't enjoy it, it at least aspired to be something unique and interesting, and you should at least be able to acknowledge its technical achievements. Those things should lift it above the typical lowest common denominator fodder that doesn't require any effort or aspire to be anything noteworthy, and just tries to pander to a small demographic and make its money back on DVD.

This film aimed to be something more and put a big budget behind that as a gamble, and even if you feel it fell short of achieving those goals, something should be said for the producers, cast, and crew of the film at least making the effort and taking the risk to try.

So, to sum up, suck it Time reviewer.
Old December 10 2012, 11:57 PM   #55
Brolan
Commodore

I'm not even sure I like the movie, but I think it achieves at least part of what it is going for. It's certainly NOT a disaster like the infamous Heavens Gate.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 02:06 PM   #56
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Does anyone know when this film is coming out on Blu-Ray. I heard it was supposed to be released today, but now the rumor is that it won't be out until June??

What's up with that?
Old February 5 2013, 03:52 PM   #57
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Technically, it's not a delay because Warner Bros. hasn't actually announced a home media release date. The February 5th date only came from retailers.

As for why June:

The HD Room
One of the trickier release dates to figure out has been Cloud Atlas. There is new evidence that suggests Warner Bros. will hold this film until June 11, 2013, possibly because of the lack of Academy Award nominations it received. The ambitious film would likely get lost in the shuffle amongst the previously mentioned titles.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 04:03 PM   #58
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Yeah I did read that article. But I think they should stick with something close to the release date. That's almost nine months after it came out!
Old February 5 2013, 07:59 PM   #59
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I was disappointed by the delay as well as I was really looking forward to checking this out. Don't they usually just dump flops quickly? Oh we'll.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 11:02 PM   #60
JD
Admiral

I just finished watching this for the first time a little while ago, and I have a new movie to add to my list of favorites. I loved every second of the movie. Each story on it's own would have been a really good movie, but add them all together, and you got something amazing.
I was going to try to pick a favorite story, but I can't.
One of the things that I thought was great was something that I didn't actually pick up on until the end. Each of the actors characters all represented the same concept in each story. The two biggest being Tom Hanks always being a guide of some sort who lead the main character to where they were supposed to be at the end, and Hugo Weaving was always a representative of the order that the main character always rebelled against.