Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 33 78.57%
Above Average 7 16.67%
Average 1 2.38%
Below Average 0 0%
Poor 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 1 2010, 08:31 PM   #16
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Caprica 1x18: "Apotheosis"

Such a shame to see it go, especially when it ends with something like that.

Great episode with a fantastic epilogue at the end. Although Clarice preaching to the cylons looked a little....odd, and how she would end up getting to that point was a little vague, it was nice to see the evolution of the U-87's into what we know as the fraking toasters.

Plus, seeing the Cylons storm the Pyramid stadium was amazing :P

Like I said, its a shame to see it go, but its nice to see it go out on a high note.
Old December 1 2010, 08:48 PM   #17
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Surprisingly, this episode didn't end on a cliffhanger and the "the shape of things to come" flashforwards at the end worked rather well as an introduction/transition to Blood & Chrome (albeit uninentionally). They just as well could have added a scene with Young Bill Adama jumping in his Viper as the very last scene.
Old December 1 2010, 09:46 PM   #18
ialfan
Fleet Captain

Excellent episode. I'm not sure what else to add to that. It shocked me with how good it was and the amount of resolution it offered for what was hoped to be a season finale. I just wonder if they wrote the ending like that thinking it would be canceled and figured they could insert some deleted scenes and not air the epilogue if it wasn't canceled?

Also...I LOVED The Shape of Things to come epilogue. The one thing I wish it contained is some confirmation that Daniel from "Razor" is an aged Cylon-ized Daniel Graystone.

Some clarification on the fates of Cyrus Xander and Tamara Adama would have been nice. Maybe a flash-foward to an aged Joe Adama and a young Romo Lampkin?

This episode (bittersweetly) cemented Caprica as a worthwhile show (and part of the BSG saga) in my mind. If nothing else, whenever I plan a complete rewatch of BSG in a year or two I will include Caprica as a Season 0 of sorts.
Old December 1 2010, 10:04 PM   #19
Candlelight
Admiral

Stupid BSG Wiki. Not updating their final episodes cos they haven't aired in the states yet.

Might have to watch it myself.
Old December 1 2010, 10:13 PM   #20
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
But I will say that the series ended as strongly as anyone could have hoped for. "The Shape of Things To Come" works as a brilliant five-minute mini-film, portraying all of the important thematic and character elements of the series. If only the rest of the season had been so focused and condensed. And, too, it points to what would have been a fascinating second season, with an explicit focus on integrating AI into a society.

If the series had gone on to a second season, it would have been with a *lot* of very positive buzz. And as much as I have criticized season one, I would have been very eager to see season two.
The ending was pretty powerful stuff. I enjoyed the opposing voiceovers from Daniel and Clarice. And the music was especially good and added to that powerful epic feel. It reminded me of the music they used in the Lord of the Rings trailers. I think if we had gotten a second season, the opposing factions would have been Clarice and Daniel instead of the Graystones and the Adamas. And while what we saw was a great ending, I'm not sure if it made for a great season finale. They covered too much ground, stuff that might have been better to actually see unfold.

There's so much more to discuss here. Hopefully that'll get going once more people have seen it.

vampgrrl wrote: View Post
I haven't seen the episode yet but if it has a seeming resolution to most storylines...that makes buying the DVDs more inviting.
With the ending we got, Caprica does feel more like a complete series than an unfinished piece that got cancelled.
Old December 1 2010, 10:57 PM   #21
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

I am really excited to download it tonight. w00t!
Old December 1 2010, 11:11 PM   #22
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Presents Galore wrote: View Post
The ending was pretty powerful stuff. I enjoyed the opposing voiceovers from Daniel and Clarice. And the music was especially good and added to that powerful epic feel. It reminded me of the music they used in the Lord of the Rings trailers. I think if we had gotten a second season, the opposing factions would have been Clarice and Daniel instead of the Graystones and the Adamas. And while what we saw was a great ending, I'm not sure if it made for a great season finale. They covered too much ground, stuff that might have been better to actually see unfold.

There's so much more to discuss here. Hopefully that'll get going once more people have seen it.
Do you suppose they'd have shown as much if the series had not been canceled? I tend to think they would have. I'm thinking that their plan for Season 2 was a true time jump of a couple of years so that they could have some meatier, Cylon-based stories and really delve into how the machines were integrating into Caprican society. That would have been very interesting and would have had the positive side effect of dialing back on the excessive human-melodrama subplots.
Old December 1 2010, 11:15 PM   #23
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

^ Production had been finished long before the cancellation was announced, so, yes, we still would've had that coda.
Old December 1 2010, 11:55 PM   #24
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

ialfan wrote: View Post
The one thing I wish it contained is some confirmation that Daniel from "Razor" is an aged Cylon-ized Daniel Graystone.
Confirmation? That's just a fan made theory. There's no evidence that's Daniel. And despite your implication, the hybrid was not called Daniel in Razor, it did not have a name.
Old December 1 2010, 11:59 PM   #25
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
^ Production had been finished long before the cancellation was announced, so, yes, we still would've had that coda.
But they may have made two separate final acts, one for cancellation and one for continuation, knowing the decision would be made before the episode aired. Then a simple swap in/out of which version they air could be done.

Though, the fact that they brought in the comedian guy, had all the CG Cylons and everything makes me think they would not have made it unless they knew it would air.

They probably knew the show was gonna be canceled, and made it accordingly, planning to continue at that point in the off chance it wasn't. If they thought the show would continue, we would have got a traditional BSG season ending cliff hanger.
Old December 2 2010, 12:02 AM   #26
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
The one thing I wish it contained is some confirmation that Daniel from "Razor" is an aged Cylon-ized Daniel Graystone.
Confirmation? That's just a fan made theory. There's no evidence that's Daniel. And despite your implication, the hybrid was not called Daniel in Razor, it did not have a name.
You are correct. The only mention of "Daniel" anywhere in the series was as the abortive Number Seven skinjob. And it was no more than that: just a mention.

I think the safest speculation is that the Final Five tried to create a skinjob based on Daniel Graystone, and Number One, perhaps knowing Daniel's role in the creation of the Cylons, got insanely jealous and destroyed him.
Old December 2 2010, 12:15 AM   #27
Candlelight
Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
You are correct. The only mention of "Daniel" anywhere in the series was as the abortive Number Seven skinjob. And it was no more than that: just a mention.

I think the safest speculation is that the Final Five tried to create a skinjob based on Daniel Graystone, and Number One, perhaps knowing Daniel's role in the creation of the Cylons, got insanely jealous and destroyed him.
Yet RDM explicitly stated Cylon #7 was named Daniel as a springboard into Caprica.

From that I would say Daniel-Cylon was created in Daniel Graystone's image. At least that's what I would want to think.
Old December 2 2010, 12:24 AM   #28
Xerxus
Lieutenant Commander

I thought the Final Five created the whole resurrection technology.

Seems like the Soldiers of the One already have a version of it.
Old December 2 2010, 12:29 AM   #29
Pseudo
Fleet Captain

View Pseudo's Twitter Profile

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
After the cancellation announcement was first made, I was disappointed. After "Apotheosis," I'm gutted. I loved every second of this episode.
I couldn't agree more. As much as I should have been pleased to get some kind of closure from the last five minutes all it really did was whet my appetite for more.

Damn you SyFy! Damn you to Hades!
Old December 2 2010, 12:38 AM   #30
fett51
Lieutenant Commander

Xerxus wrote:
I thought the Final Five created the whole resurrection technology.

Seems like the Soldiers of the One already have a version of it.
nah. this was essentially just copying technology. Actual transfer isn't something they were doing yet, that was what Nestor was criticizing a couple episodes back.

The fantastic epilogue segment only got us to the point where cylons have integrated into their society and there are rumblings of an awakening among them, via Clarice. How that turns into a war is still a story we will hopefully be told one day. I would like to think the colonials did something to deserve the warmongering and that it just wasn't Clarice hooking them all on God, us Earthbound humans have a pretty consistent track record when it comes to how we treat things we dehumanize after all.

Still lots of unanswered questions with what happens to Tamara, Terminator Zoe and how many cylons have Zoes in their heads. Blood and Chrome will presumably clear up the latter at least.

Last edited by fett51; December 2 2010 at 12:58 AM. Reason: spelling.