Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 27 2010, 10:54 PM   #1
SaturnVengeance
Lieutenant

Teen girl arrested for burning Koran

She's a British citizen living in West Midlands, not Iran or some batshit crazy religious country like that.

A teenager has been arrested on suspicion of inciting religious hatred after allegedly burning an English language version of the Koran.

The 15-year-old, who lives in the West Midlands, allegedly posted the video, filmed two weeks ago on her school premises, on Facebook.

The video was reported to the school and subsequently removed, police said.

A 14-year-old boy was arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of making threats. Both have been released on police bail.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...untry-11835253

Last edited by Locutus of Bored; November 28 2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Corrected location from Oregon to Britain
SaturnVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2010, 10:57 PM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Teen girl arrested for burning Koran

SaturnVengeance wrote: View Post
She's an American citizen living in Oregon
No, she lives in West Midlands (England), as the article says.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2010, 10:59 PM   #3
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

SaturnVengeance wrote: View Post
She's an American citizen living in Oregon, not Iran or some batshit crazy religious country like that.

A teenager has been arrested on suspicion of inciting religious hatred after allegedly burning an English language version of the Koran.

The 15-year-old, who lives in the West Midlands, allegedly posted the video, filmed two weeks ago on her school premises, on Facebook.

The video was reported to the school and subsequently removed, police said.

A 14-year-old boy was arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of making threats. Both have been released on police bail.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...untry-11835253
That link does not say she from the USA.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2010, 10:59 PM   #4
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

She shouldn't be setting anything alight on her school premises (except a bunsen burner). If she wants to burn a Koran she should do it at her home.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

If this *had* happened in a Muslim country, she probably would have been executed on the spot...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2010, 11:15 PM   #6
SaturnVengeance
Lieutenant

It has just come to my attention that I said "Oregon", when in fact the girl is British, this is because I was reading another news article about an Oregon teen who tried to blow up a holiday celebration while writing this article, I apologize.
SaturnVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2010, 11:16 PM   #7
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

And because some crazy bitch did something stupid, us ordinary middle to lower-class white guys are going to take the brunt of whatever comes of it.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

What exactly is she burning the Koran for?
Old November 27 2010, 11:24 PM   #9
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Location: Presenting my proposed Enforced Continuity Bill to a reluctant Federation government.

The situation in many parts of the UK (particularly larger cities) is quite tense. We have both Muslim extremists and xenophobe extremists in increasing numbers. Every other week or so either the muslim extremists or the xenophobic extremists do or say something provocative and make the news. Last time it was that (muslim) child who had to leave his (muslim) school after death threats from his fellow muslims, because he left a message of remembrance for dead British soldiers. This time it's some girl burning a Koran on film. Next time it'll be the muslim's turn again, then the xenophobes. And people will latch onto each incident to fuel the exchange further.

Personally, I don't care anymore, because if you're not an extremist no-one pays attention.

As far as I'm concerned, the future of my country is either

a) Ultra-right xenophobic BNP or
b) Islamic.

because neither extremist group will rest until one sets the agenda, and the more their ranks swell the harder they'll push. I accepted that some time ago.

(PS, EDIT: Sorry for my bitterness, everyone. I'm just fed up of living in a country where expressing any political view whatsoever has you being pounced on by one group of extremists or another who then aggress at you. Right, left, whatever...it makes no difference. And I'd rather not be aggressed at, which is why I don't participate in political discussion much, not anymore).

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; November 27 2010 at 11:39 PM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2010, 11:50 PM   #10
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

From the article:
Muslims revere the Koran as the word of God
Well, Christians also view the Bible as the word of God, but if someone burns a Bible nothing happens.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2010, 11:59 PM   #11
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Brent wrote: View Post
From the article:
Well, Christians also view the Bible as the word of God, but if someone burns a Bible nothing happens.
It also stated in the article that the Muslims who printed that particular Koran dealt with it by visiting the school and talking to the children i.e. they acted sensibly as many Muslims would.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2010, 11:59 PM   #12
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Location: Presenting my proposed Enforced Continuity Bill to a reluctant Federation government.

From the article:
It would if the Christians were a growing minority in a previously non-Christian country. That's the problem - it's about power blocs and insecurity and shoving for dominance over your neighbours, and it happens where cultures meet and haven't themselves learnt to embrace a multi-cultural perspective.

I for one don't care if there are churches, mosques, gurdwaras, synagogues, enclaves and everything else on my street, so long as they all realize they don't need to cling to a sense of struggle and conflict. But that's just what they'll do. Multiculturalism is an idea I'm very much in love with, but unfortunately the cultures themselves need to change their mode of operating and their perspectives before it can work effectively. As long as people's loyalty is to a power bloc - of religion, race, political identity, etc, there will be destructive conflict between those blocs. The only people who really embrace multiculturalism are those like me - who don't have any one loyalty and instead try to keep those various blocs from turning on one another.

Cultural identity and multiculturalism are, it seems to me, largely incompatable. You can have one or the other. Oh, you can have peace and tolerance while having a firm cultural identity, but you can't have that identity and effectively embody others. Either you're a this and jockying with that for power or you're a nothing who encourages this and that to both be part of the same diverse community. I'm ready for multiculturalism; most people are not, and forcing it upon them will only lead to upset.

Have you read about dolphin super-pods, and how they have many "factions" and a few dolphin individuals who move between these groups keeping them all in contact, belonging to none permanantly? If those dolphins are removed, the super-pod fragments into smaller pods as each faction goes off its separate ways. I often think those of us who are multi-cultural in outlook are like those dolphins. And evidently we don't do our job properly because the power blocs end up struggling for dominance all the time and fragmenting further.

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; November 28 2010 at 12:10 AM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 12:26 AM   #13
Pingfah
Admiral

From the article:
Does that annoy you?
Old November 28 2010, 01:49 AM   #14
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
I for one don't care if there are churches, mosques, gurdwaras, synagogues, enclaves and everything else on my street, so long as they all realize they don't need to cling to a sense of struggle and conflict.
Sounds good to me.

Have you read about dolphin super-pods, and how they have many "factions" and a few dolphin individuals who move between these groups keeping them all in contact, belonging to none permanantly? If those dolphins are removed, the super-pod fragments into smaller pods as each faction goes off its separate ways. I often think those of us who are multi-cultural in outlook are like those dolphins. And evidently we don't do our job properly because the power blocs end up struggling for dominance all the time and fragmenting further.
Fascinating. I didn't know that about dolphins. Cool metaphor for those of us who embrace multi-culturalism.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 02:42 AM   #15
BDJ
Lieutenant Commander

In my opinion, the problem stems from the lack of understanding, practicing and just plain old abiding by the the basic tenent of the vast majority of religions. And that is to love your neighbor.

We all jockey for that absolute control by "our group". Hell, look at what we do with our public schools and pitting them all against each other in "School Rivalries".

We actually encourage our children to "hate" the other school because they're our rival and for what?? a frakkin' ball game??

No wonder we can't get together on religion or anything else of importance. Jus' Sayin'
BDJ is offline   Reply With Quote