TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Which should I watch? TNG or Enterprise?
TNG 48 77.42%
Enterprise 14 22.58%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 29 2010, 10:34 PM   #16
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: Which should I watch? TNG or Enterprise?

Is this a serious question?

Which should you watch?

One of the greatest and most popular sci-fi shows of all time, that re-launched Star Trek on TV, resulted in a film series, enabled Star Trek to become culturally popular for a while in a way it never had before. A mature, serious show that relied on smart writing and that could probably have gone on for as long as it wanted to? A show worthy of the legacy of TOS.

OR...

A show that was so unpopular it limped along for four seasons before becoming the first Trek since TOS to be cancelled. A show that relied on catsuits and tired plots. A show with an incompetent captain and a horribly conceived Vulcan character, and an ignored supporting cast. A show that ran Trek on TV into the ground.

When given the choice between an upscale gourmet restaurant and taco bell(assuming you're not paying) do you usually take a lot of time to consider the choice?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 01:02 PM   #17
RegFan
Commodore

sonak wrote: View Post
Is this a serious question?

Which should you watch?

One of the greatest and most popular sci-fi shows of all time, that re-launched Star Trek on TV, resulted in a film series, enabled Star Trek to become culturally popular for a while in a way it never had before. A mature, serious show that relied on smart writing and that could probably have gone on for as long as it wanted to? A show worthy of the legacy of TOS.

OR...

A show that was so unpopular it limped along for four seasons before becoming the first Trek since TOS to be cancelled. A show that relied on catsuits and tired plots. A show with an incompetent captain and a horribly conceived Vulcan character, and an ignored supporting cast. A show that ran Trek on TV into the ground.

When given the choice between an upscale gourmet restaurant and taco bell(assuming you're not paying) do you usually take a lot of time to consider the choice?
I love ENT, and so do a lot of other people. Different people have different tastes. I may not understand why other people don't like the same TV shows as I do, but I let them watch what they want to watch. You should do the same thing.

Some of your arguments apply to both TOS and ENT. Cancellation doesn't necessarily mean that the show is bad. Besides, you yourself admit that TOS was cancelled as well. And I have the impression that TOS wasn't all that popular at the time it was made either. Popularity is not the same thing as quality.
RegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 03:34 PM   #18
sonak
Vice Admiral

This thread by its nature asked for comments on which show to watch. I was pointing out that it was a ridiculous "dilemma" to wonder which to watch. I don't get people who get offended by someone giving an opinion on a Star Trek message board-you didn't think you'd read other people's views when you came here?

Some of my post was tongue-in-cheek. I have watched most of Enterprise's run, and it does improve somewhat in its last two seasons, but I maintain that it's far below TNG-quality.

And while you're right that cancellations don't mean lack of quality, I'd point out that TOS was cancelled BEFORE Star Trek was a phenomenon, and after it became one it was a huge success in reruns, it spawned an animated series and six more films.

I don't think ENT will be in for the same post-initial cancellation success.
Old November 30 2010, 04:03 PM   #19
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain

TOS and TNG aired in a completely different tv envinroment than Ent - far less competition, far less market saturation.

If they were launched today, TOS, with its '60 effects and, in part, stories, would not last a season, while TNG, with its sub-par first two seasons, would not see a third.
Today, neither series would spawn anything close to the fanbase they created.

I already said it - the first two seasons of TNG are weaker then Ent's fist two seasons; and season 3 and 4 of Ent can compete with every TNG season you care to name.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 04:16 PM   #20
Alex1939
Captain

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
I already said it - the first two seasons of TNG are weaker then Ent's fist two seasons; and season 3 and 4 of Ent can compete with every TNG season you care to name.
And...NO.

TNG is far superior tv show. Seasons 3-7 of TNG > anything Enterprise.

(And I sort of like Enterprise.)
Alex1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 04:16 PM   #21
MANT!
Rear Admiral

Why not start with TOS?
Old November 30 2010, 04:17 PM   #22
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

TOS and TNG aired in a completely different tv envinroment than Ent - far less competition, far less market saturation.

If they were launched today, TOS, with its '60 effects and, in part, stories, would not last a season, while TNG, with its sub-par first two seasons, would not see a third.

This.

We'll never know what ENT would have been like if it had 7 seasons. But if we compare only the first 4 seasons of both shows, they're pretty evenly matched. And yep, as bad as ENT S2 was, it's nowhere as bad as TNG season 1. Nothing in Trek is as bad as TNG season 1. And season 2 isn't much better. "Up the Long Ladder" may the worst Trek episode of all time - and its only rivals are some of the TNG S1 episodes ("Code of Honor", "Angel One", "The Last Outpost"...)

And you know, just like ENT had T'Pol in a catsuit... TNG had Troi in a bunny costume. So why is one bad and the other isn't? (Not to mention that T'Pol was IMO a much better character and never as useless as Troi, particularly early seasons Troi...)

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 06:52 PM   #23
drazzz52923849
Lieutenant Commander

View drazzz52923849's Twitter Profile

I like both but TNG has GREATLY improved my entire life.
Old November 30 2010, 08:02 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

But they were a far and away better product.

Star Trek wouldn't launch today with 1960's effects, so that is a logical fallacy. Enterprise with it sub-par first two seasons did see a third... so saying that The Next Generation would be canceled after its' first two is another logical fallacy. Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation are so different from anything on TV today it would be impossible to predict how they would perform and what type of fanbase they would garner.

Doesn't it stand to reason that Enterprise would have a higher quality? I mean the production staff had only been making Star Trek for 21 seasons at the point that "Broken Bow" premiered. I'm disappointed that the quality of episodes dipped below "All Good Things..." with that much experience behind the camera.

I don't care what series you're a fan of, Star Trek: The Next Generation seasons 3,4 and 5 were not only good Star Trek... they were good TV.

Last edited by BillJ; November 30 2010 at 08:23 PM.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 08:12 PM   #25
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain

DevilEyes wrote: View Post

Nothing in Trek is as bad as TNG season 1.
*cough* "Threshold" *cough*
Capt_Pickirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 08:16 PM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post

Nothing in Trek is as bad as TNG season 1. And season 2 isn't much better.
I would rather watch Angel One and Justice for 24 hours straight than be subjected to Imaginary Friend, Rascals or Sub Rosa one more time.
Old November 30 2010, 08:43 PM   #27
RegFan
Commodore

There are some individual episodes that are worse than TNG Season 1, but it's still easily the worst season of Trek.
RegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2010, 09:07 PM   #28
BillJ
Admiral

RegFan wrote: View Post
There are some individual episodes that are worse than TNG Season 1, but it's still easily the worst season of Trek.
I picked the two episodes that most people consider the worst from season one. I, personally, don't find season 1 and 2 anywhere near as bad as some of the stuff produced by Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise. YMMV
Old November 30 2010, 09:24 PM   #29
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

TNG takes a while to find its feet, and the first season has a stramge dated feel. It's like a return to the 1960s' visual style, but with a very 1980s makeover. It's probably only consistently good from season three onwards, but the first two are still well worth watching in order to see the show develop and lay the groundwork for ongoing storylines. Season two's Q Who is a pivotal episode.
Old November 30 2010, 09:51 PM   #30
sonak
Vice Admiral

I think seasons 1-2 of TNG get lumped together unfairly. Season 1 is often pretty awkward to watch, but season 2 doesn't have that feel at all. Plus it has episodes like "Q Who," "Time Squared" and "Measure of a Man." And it has the feel of the rest of TNG, with Geordi as chief engineer at that point, Guinan added to the crew, Riker's got the beard, etc. Only the Pulaski thing separates it from the "finished" feel that seasons 3-7 had. Otherwise season 2 TNG does not stick out like a sore thumb like season 1 does.

So yes, ENT seasons 3-4 may be marginally better overall than TNG season 1, but that's comparing the BEST seasons of the FIFTH show of a franchise that had twenty-six television seasons under its belt at that point to the WORST season of the first TREK series in eighteen years, one that was finding its way around. Not a flattering comparison for ENT.

But if you think ENT Seasons 3-4 stack up against TNG seasons 3-6 then.... I guess different tastes and all that, because that's kind of stunning to me.