Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old August 9 2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Forbin
Admiral

1701-C nacelle nomenclature?

Howdy. For kitbashing diagram purposes, have we ever come up with a designation for the 1701-C's nacelles? As in, TOS was PB-32, TMP was LN-64...

Also, I know I've asked before, but I have the same question for the 1701-D's nacelles.

Thanks.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Re: 1701-C nacelle nomenclature?

I think only Andrew Probert can answer this.

*Activates track system on his excavator and goes searching... with a staggering top speed of 6Kmph*

Might take a while..
Old August 9 2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Forbin
Admiral

I'll wait.

Old August 9 2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

ARD-21's

and

TC-102D's

naaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh... I'm just making that shit up.

Sorry dude- I'm bored and there's like nothing going on here today!

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Timo
Admiral

A certain recentish fan publication decided to give all the modern warp engines "LF" numbers... IIRC, Ambassador was "Leeding Energies LF-10".

Personally, I'd prefer at least four distinct series. The Ambassador ones might be closely related to the Excelsior ones (what with the "uppercut" thing), while the marker pen nacelles of the "BoBW" shipwrecks deserve their own letter designation before the Galaxy engine copies roll along (the Akira ones could be closely related to those in turn), and then finally we get the family that includes Sovereign, Nova and Prometheus at least.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2011, 08:00 PM   #6
Cmdr_Blop
Lieutenant Commander

I'd ask aridas sofia.
Cmdr_Blop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2011, 08:50 PM   #7
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

Todd Guenther and I started to do 1701-D plans in 1988, but they never went to press and were never even completed. My plan was to continue the evolution we had already established-- circumferential> linear> advanced circumferential> circumlinear

So, the 1701-D nacelles would have been circumlinear-- essentially combining the functions of both kinds of nacelles in one.

I don't remember if it ever got more specific than that, with a model/maker/issue number etc.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2011, 08:53 PM   #8
Santaman
Rear Admiral

I'd call them BFN-9000 (Big Frigging Nacelles 9000)
Old August 10 2011, 09:15 PM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I actually arbitarily once referred to them as "LH-47" in a fanfic when I couldn't find an answer online...
Old August 11 2011, 12:38 AM   #10
Wingsley
Commodore

Back in the day, I arbitrarily called the Galaxy-class starship nacelles LN-100s.

Given the long stretch from TMP to TNG, that might crowd the nomenclature to the point of being incredible. My whole theory on warp drive evolution was that linear warp drive nacelles (like those of the TMP refit Enterprise, Reliant, Grissom, etc.) were the Federation's way of playing catch-up with the newer, svelte linear warp technology (linear means "fourth power" warp drive, distinguishing it from the cruder "third power" tubular circumferential nacelles) used by the Klingons. A linear-warp-driven starship traveling at Warp 4 would outrun a circumferential warp-driven vessel flying at Warp 6. Hence, during "Elaan of Troyus", when Spock said "their speed is better than Warp 6," it was because the Klingon attack cruiser was operating at Linear Warp 4. And when Spock finally got the refit Enterprise's new engines to work properly, Kirk ordered the ship to Linear Warp 7, it would've been seven times faster than traditional Circumferential Warp 7.

I'm assuming that the nacelles on the refit Enterprise, Reliant, Grissom, Excelsior and all subsequent starships classes clear through TNG and DS9 and even VOY (transwarp/slipstream not withstanding) were all evolutions of linear warp drive. So perhaps the Galaxy's uber-big nacelles should be called LN-500s, or LN-5000s or somesuch.

Last edited by Wingsley; August 11 2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: inserting text I left out, corrections
Wingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2011, 02:24 AM   #11
throwback
Captain

The RPG publication Starships, by Decipher, identifies the warp nacelles for Ambassador-class Starships as LF-17.

In the DS9 episode, "One Little Step", Captain Benjamin Sisko states that the U.S.S. Defiant has a class seven warp drive system.

: Then we will move up to basic engineering theory for a class seven warp drive.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2011, 03:35 PM   #12
Forbin
Admiral

Dang, I could'a sworn we figured this out once before. Oh well!
Old August 11 2011, 06:49 PM   #13
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

throwback wrote: View Post
The RPG publication Starships, by Decipher, identifies the warp nacelles for Ambassador-class Starships as LF-17.

In the DS9 episode, "One Little Step", Captain Benjamin Sisko states that the U.S.S. Defiant has a class seven warp drive system.

: Then we will move up to basic engineering theory for a class seven warp drive.
And Voyager's was "Class Nine" in Relativity.
Old August 11 2011, 08:11 PM   #14
Forbin
Admiral

Hm. Maybe I'll see what Jackill calls them and go with that. Or just fuhgeddaboudit.
Old August 11 2011, 10:38 PM   #15
F. King Daniel
Admiral

FASA's TNG Officer's Manual calls the Galaxy-class nacelles "FVWA1".

The FASA Ambassador is totally different from the TNG version (a Connie saucer, a weird sender boxy hull and Excelsior nacelles below) so it's not much use.