Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 8 2010, 01:12 PM   #1
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Madman's Enterprise, Version 6

Hey, everybody!

I know I said, back in the version 5 thread, that I wasn't going to do this. But, I've been working on a project lately, where I've learned a lot... mainly about subsurf modifiers, which I had no idea existed. It's helped out my chunky modeling, alot.

For some of you that have downloaded and looked at the previous model, you'll be happy to know, that I'm trying to get away from using booleans all the time. So far, I haven't used a single one.

Anyway, here's pictures...

This is really meant to be an update to my version of this ship... it's probably not going to be 100% screen accurate, since I am keeping some of the changes I make with the previous couple of versions, mainly like the thinner neck in the front.

What do ya'll think?

More later...

www.madshipyard.com
MadMan1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 02:03 PM   #2
judexavier
Commander

Re: Madman's Enterprise, Version 6

Wow, really nice. This seems to have really subtle curves and contours.
judexavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

I like how you haven't included the saucer. One little nitpick I had was that the whole ship in the new movie looked different...except the saucer. I thought it looked exactly like the refit saucer.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 05:23 PM   #4
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Thanks, guys.

Nardpuncher, it does look similar, until you really start looking at it, and you notice there are major changes.

Updates later on...

www.madshipyard.com
Old September 8 2010, 06:11 PM   #5
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Maybe you can do this version with the saucer as depicted in Ryan Church's painting, rather than the film-used model?
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 07:09 PM   #6
blssdwlf
Commodore

No booleans? NICE! Very clean looking too.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 11:29 PM   #7
MadMan1701A
Commodore

BolianAuthor wrote: View Post
Maybe you can do this version with the saucer as depicted in Ryan Church's painting, rather than the film-used model?
Hmm, that's something to think about, for sure.

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
No booleans? NICE! Very clean looking too.
I know. It's a first, for me. I'll have to post up a wireframe render... it looks pretty sweet.

www.madshipyard.com
Old September 8 2010, 11:42 PM   #8
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile

Like where this is heading.
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 03:32 AM   #9
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

This looks really good. Subsurface or sub-d modeling really is the key to this and a lot of later Trek design (like Picard's Enterprise) - I only started to teach myself to use it in a major way on the Challenger.

I used one of your earlier JJPrise models as early reference for the nacelles on that model, BTW - I thought you effectively took the meshing as far as it could be taken without reallly getting into subdivision, so I started from there.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 01:02 PM   #10
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Titan Designer wrote: View Post
Like where this is heading.
Thanks.

Dennis wrote: View Post
This looks really good. Subsurface or sub-d modeling really is the key to this and a lot of later Trek design (like Picard's Enterprise) - I only started to teach myself to use it in a major way on the Challenger.

I used one of your earlier JJPrise models as early reference for the nacelles on that model, BTW - I thought you effectively took the meshing as far as it could be taken without reallly getting into subdivision, so I started from there.
I thought some of the lines around the top of the cowling looked a little familiar. One way mine were always wrong, was that the lacked that bulge towards the front, they were always too flat. Thanks or the compliments, though... I really appreciate it. I think now, it's probably better to get pratice modeling directly with the mesh first, then learn the SubSurface stuff... it really helps for extra details added after the modifier gets applied.

Well, I did a little bit last night. Mainly just detailing the cowlings above, and cutting those vents in the bottom...

And, here's a shot showing the actual mesh. It's a little higher poly than my earlier attempts.

More later on, have fun guys...

www.madshipyard.com
Old September 9 2010, 01:43 PM   #11
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Ah! Thanks for that image of the mesh. I'm pleased to see this whole ship isn't one piece. I think Vektor works that way, crafting fantastically detailed meshes out of one object, but I just can't work that way.

Why did you choose to commit the subsurface to a mesh so soon? I'm not criticizing, just curious about your workflow and plans.
Old September 9 2010, 04:30 PM   #12
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Yeah, I wouldn't know how to texture the thing, if it was all one chunk.

The main reason is that I just used the subsurf to get the curvy shape... when I tried to extrude in the undercut, for example, Blender tried to smooth out all my hard edges, too much. The only way to stop that, was to subdivide again, and again, and then it got too dense in those areas. So, a method that seems to work for me, is to subsurf all the smooth parts, apply it, and then do my extruding, etc. I keep a backup model of each phase, of course.

www.madshipyard.com
Old September 9 2010, 04:39 PM   #13
Starship
Commander

Looking good!
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 04:44 PM   #14
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Gotcha! You have some options. First, do an edge loop cut (ummm ... I think it's ctrl-R) to lay down a new edge loop on your mesh. You can then slide it in very close to where you want a hard line and hit the left mouse button to get excellent control over just how hard that line is. This does increase mesh density in that area, and you might have some trouble selecting the right edge later on if you return to that area.

The other approach is to make the seam using edge crease. Pick the edge you want to sharpen and use shift-E to adjust. This works well sometimes, but I also find I get much better control using the first method.

Oh! And keep an eye out on the newer releases for the upcoming Ptex support! This is going to revolutionize texturing our models in Blender.

EDIT TO ADD:
Have you ever visited BlenderCookie? If you haven't, I highly recommend it -- especially Jonathan Williamson's tutorials.

Last edited by Psion; September 9 2010 at 05:04 PM.
Psion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 06:23 PM   #15
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Hey, I forgot you were a Blender user, too.

Yeah, I tried using seams, but they sometimes render weird, when I do a set smooth and autosmooth on them.

That Ptex looks cool... I've got to advance beyond projecting uv's.

Since you are familiar with what I'm doing I'm going to bounce something off of you. When I get to the saucer, how would you model the grid lines? In the past I subdivided out the lines, and removed them, but that means the lines got wider, as they got towards the edge. I guess my other option is extruding the panels themselves, but that's really tedious. I think I read that that's how Tobias Richter does his...

www.madshipyard.com