Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 9 2012, 01:34 AM   #31
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Earth Final Conflict - Was It Ever Good?

The series was brain-dead after the first year, a total waste.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2012, 06:54 AM   #32
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
The series was brain-dead after the first year, a total waste.
No kidden!!! What happened? I really liked where they were going until they essentially killed off Boone at the end of The first season.
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2012, 10:37 PM   #33
DWF
Vice Admiral

I think the first season it greatly overrated and the show did get better until the final season when it appeared as though they ran out of money. But the real failure of the series is that didn't really live up or really explain it's title, so it's really a hard show to explain to somebody who's never seen it.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 03:07 PM   #34
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

After they killed off Boone. I watched one or two episodes. They sucked and sucked hard. It appeared they had no idea what the hell the show was about. If they don't know, how the crap are we supposed to follow it or care to?
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2012, 10:03 PM   #35
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I think I stopped watching at some point midway though season 3 as honestly, I just lost interest in the characters and the overarching plot made increasing less sense. I caught the odd episode later on down the line, even a few of the very last ones and nothing I saw made me regret ditching the show.

It was never a *great* show, but at least in the first season it was *good* with the promise and potential to get better. Unfortunately that all got squandered. Partly because of the revolving door cast, but mainly because the quality of writing became more and more dumbed down.

What I really liked about the show in the beginning was the pervasive sense of moral ambiguity. There were no real villains or heroes and everything was just a shade of grey. Did Da'an really care as much about humanity as he appeared to, or did the Talons have an ulterior motive? Was Doors motivated by a genuine desire to protect Earth from the sneaky aliens, or was he just out to use their presence as a means to acquire power and influence?

Sandoval is perhaps the best example of how the characterisations deteriorated; early on he's played as very much the straight shooter. A little uptight, a touch amoral perhaps and loyal to the Talons (as if they thing in his head gave him a choice) but he was a fairly well fleshed out character. You may not always like or agree with him, but you understood his motivations and got what he was about.

As time when on though, all that depth and ambiguity melted away until at the end he was such a cartoonish parody of his former self that if he'd had a moustache, you can bet he'd be twirling the hell out of it.

Last edited by Reverend; June 11 2012 at 12:16 AM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 12:07 AM   #36
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
What I really liked about the show in the beginning was the pervasive sense of moral ambiguity. There were no real villains or heroes and everything was just a shade of grey. Did Da'an really care as much about humanity as he appeared to, or did the Talons have an ulterior motive? Was Doors motivated by a genuine desire to protect Earth from the sneaky aliens, or was he just out to use their presence as a means to acquire power and influence?
I completely agree. I loved how the first season kept me guessing week after week. The only characters I trusted completely were Boone and Lili. I hated Zo'or when he showed up, because he was such a clear "eeevil villain". With Da'an, there was an apparent genuine desire to understand humanity, but there always seemed to be a second, less benevolent motive lurking behind his actions.

The killing off of Boone's character was my first time losing a TV character I loved that way. I was SO angry, because as far as I was concerned, Boone WAS the show. I'm sure my hatred of Liam was informed by my loss of Boone, but I really thought he was stupid and made no sense. I didn't buy how he got there at all, much less how he was suddenly a grown man with knowledge and powers blah-blah-blah. And then he invited Da'an to the Resistance's headquarters, and my head exploded.

I managed to stick it out until they killed off Beckett. After that it was hit and miss for me, mostly miss. I came back for season 5 to point and laugh, and even then it was more cringe and groan.

I love Season 1. I might be willing to watch the rest if they show up on Netflix or something. But at the time, the betrayal I felt was very strong. It's funny how these things can have such an effect on you.