Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 24 2010, 04:38 PM   #1
The Wormhole
Admiral

Earth Final Conflict - Was It Ever Good?

This post was inspired by the Andromeda thread, and was originally meant to be a post there, but while I was writing it, I felt it should be its own thread.

So anyway, the opinions of Earth Final Conflict traditionally follow:

-The first season was universally recognized as "the best" and quite a few people only accept it.
-Seasons 2-4 do have fans and supporters, but aren't generally as popular as season 1.
-Everyone hates season 5.

Now then, I spent this past summer re-living Earth Final Conflict on DVD, and I got to say, that is one show where the memory lies. I remember really enjoying this show when it first aired, I would literally be pumped when each episode aired. I was actually surprsied later on when I found out a lot of people only thought highly of the first season, to me season 2 was when the show really kicked into gear, and I felt seasons 2-4 were some of the best episodes on television. However, I agreed with everyone that season 5 was shit.

And yet, after re-watching most of the series on DVD this year, I'm wondering what I was thinking. Mind you, I was 12-16 when the first four seasons aired, and I'm 25 now, so maybe that had something to do with it.

But anyway, season 1 was just unbelievably dull. William Boone was hardly a very compelling lead, the Taelons were so enigmatic that Jonathan Doors looked like a paranoid freak mobilizing a personal army against them. Maybe that was the point, but I feel if you're going to set up the show so that the heroes are supposed to be against the aliens, show a damn good reason for it. And a lot of the episodes were basically normal every day Earth problems in which aliens get involved.

Season 2 was a step in the right direction, though I'm not entierly thrilled with how they handled Boone's departure. I know I said he wasn't a very compelling lead, and I do think Liam Kincaid is the better lead. But Boone still deserved a better send off than that. But still, with the introduction of the Jaridians and seeing that the Taelons did indeed have a hidden agenda, the show had some potential now, but was still bogged down by mundane episodes.

Season 3 was pretty much more of the same. Though there were some stand out episodes, like the one with Lily Marquette believeing she's returned to Earth, or the one where they find an ancient Roman in stasis aboard a buried Taelon ship.

Season 4 is actually the best of the series, with the Taelons at death's door and Zo'or getting increasingly psychotic we finally have a legitimate reason to distrust them, and it seems as though they were no longer welcome on Earth. Plus the Jaridians were finally playing their hand, and it all built up to a rather enjoyable finale, which as far as I'm concerned is the series finale. Also, Sandoval had some really cool stuff this season with episode like Trapped by Time and Attonement being excellent episodes for the character. However, despite the quality over the previous seasons, the episodes were still mostly average, and not the best I've seen on TV.

I haven't bothered with the season 5 DVDs. My memories of when it first aired are of a really shitty show, and I have no desire to relive that on DVD.

So, there we have it. A show that was one of my favourites during my teenage years I now see as a disappointment in adulthood.

How about the rest of you, what thoughts do you have to weigh in on EFC?

Last edited by The Wormhole; November 24 2010 at 06:29 PM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 05:21 PM   #2
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Re: Earth Final Conflict - Was It Ever Good?

I loved season one, and still love it. It's the only season that I bothered buying on DVD, having ignored the releases of seasons two through four (although if they were still in print, I would now consider getting them since season one is now out). Season two was mostly crap, especially in the first half. I hated Liam, and especially hated the alternate universe episodes. By the end of the season, I was a little more accepting of Liam since it felt like the writers had toned down his ability to do anything and everything. The season finale was actually damn good. Season three was still crap, though season four seemed to get things somewhat back on track. Season five should never have existed.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Caliburn24
Commodore

I watched it as it aired, but only during season one. For reasons, and I believe a scheduling change, that I have forgotten I never continued with the show. I caught snippets here and there of later seasons but it never hooked me.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

It's a show worth seeing. Through season 4, anyway. But it's not a classic.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I was a fan of Liam not so much Boone. Season Five is just terrible. I remember everyone used to call Renee the Atavus Slayer. The series finale is one of the worst finales for a show EVER. Sandaval finally gets what he deserves but I don't think any long term fan got any sanctification from the finale. The Fifth Season just was plain weird.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 11:33 PM   #6
23skidoo
Admiral

I tried getting into it, but I just couldn't. And there was one time I managed to avoid watching it for an entire year and then just happened to tune in with a new episode and it pretty much was the same as one of the episodes I remember watching a year before. No change.

The concept was good (and I'm sure a few people have made the V comparison), but like the original V I think it would have been a stronger show if it had been confined to either a mini-series, or a UK-format limited run series of maybe a half-dozen or dozen episodes a season. I didn't feel it had enough to really sustain itself, and viewers interest, for 22 or so eps a year.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2010, 12:08 AM   #7
Dream
Admiral

Season one was the best for me. I started to lose interest fast after Boone left the show.

The biggest problem I have with the EFC is all the characters kept leaving the series. There is a reason why nearly all shows keep the same cast for its entire run.
Old November 25 2010, 12:51 AM   #8
stj
Rear Admiral

Didn't see a minute of season one. Skipped most of season five. Season two, three and four were watchable for one reason: Von Flores as Sandoval. Sandoval had several personalities but Flores gave each and every one his all.

But if you don't really like one of the actors, the show had no other redeeming virtues.
Old November 25 2010, 01:43 AM   #9
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I loved season one, and still love it. It's the only season that I bothered buying on DVD, having ignored the releases of seasons two through four (although if they were still in print, I would now consider getting them since season one is now out).
Actually, Aliance Atlantis recently released Seasons 2-5 on DVD in Canada, which is good because Season 2 wasn't previously available anywhere. This has also caused Season 3 to come down drastically in price. And while the American versions of Seasons 4 & 5 are still very expensive, Amazon is selling the Canadian versions for under $30.

stj wrote: View Post
Didn't see a minute of season one. Skipped most of season five. Season two, three and four were watchable for one reason: Von Flores as Sandoval. Sandoval had several personalities but Flores gave each and every one his all.
Agreed. Von Flores is frikkin' awesome. I wish they'd put him on something else. (The only other thing I recall seeing him in was when he had a small role as a gangster that was killed at the beginning of Darkman III.) I've been watching a little bit of Season 1 on DVD and I'm not so impressed with it, largely because Sandoval doesn't really get anything to do most of the time.

I still think there were some big missed opportunities for Sandoval in Season 5. I think they should have, at least briefly, made him a good guy after Howlyn banished him from the Mothership. And when Zo'or lost her virginity, I think she should have lost it to Sandoval. Considering all of the stuff they'd been through in Seasons 2-4, it would have been a delightfully sick moment.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
But anyway, season 1 was just unbelievably dull. William Boone was hardly a very compelling lead, the Taelons were so enigmatic that Jonathan Doors looked like a paranoid freak mobilizing a personal army against them. Maybe that was the point, but I feel if you're going to set up the show so that the heroes are supposed to be against the aliens, show a damn good reason for it.
I think that was the point. It was supposed to be a show about shades of gray where you weren't supposed to know who to trust. It wasn't until Zo'or showed up that they started more strongly pushing the idea of the Taelons as bad guys.
Old November 25 2010, 03:10 AM   #10
lennier1
Commodore

The first season had its faults, but it held the promise to turn E:FC into a great show.
After that the execs were continually screwing with the concept, making it worse and worse, until it lead to that space zombie crap in the 5th season.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2010, 03:15 AM   #11
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

I liked Season One; but that's it. Past that it just devolved into tripe garbage (imo).
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2010, 03:18 AM   #12
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Actually, Aliance Atlantis recently released Seasons 2-5 on DVD in Canada, which is good because Season 2 wasn't previously available anywhere. This has also caused Season 3 to come down drastically in price. And while the American versions of Seasons 4 & 5 are still very expensive, Amazon is selling the Canadian versions for under $30.
Unfortunately, the packaging seems to be receiving some very negative responses. Otherwise I'd consider purchasing from Amazon CA.

Agreed. Von Flores is frikkin' awesome. I wish they'd put him on something else. (The only other thing I recall seeing him in was when he had a small role as a gangster that was killed at the beginning of Darkman III.)
Another "agreed" right here; Flores was definitely great. Looking at his IMDB page, it appears he's been steadily working since the end of EFC, but I can't say that I've heard of anything he's done.
Old November 25 2010, 03:30 AM   #13
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

lennier1 wrote: View Post
After that the execs were continually screwing with the concept, making it worse and worse, until it lead to that space zombie crap in the 5th season.
They weren't space zombies. They were oversexed space vampires!

Unfortunately, the packaging seems to be receiving some very negative responses. Otherwise I'd consider purchasing from Amazon CA.
Really? I haven't heard that. What's the issue? (Other than really inaccurate box art. Seriously, they've got William Boone front & center on the Season 2 set. But then, the earlier ADV releases had the same problem. Da'an was prominently featured on the front of Season 5 even though he never appeared in Season 5 at all except for possibly in the clip shows.)
Old November 25 2010, 03:36 AM   #14
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

^ Yeah, I noticed that about Boone on the season 2 set. I wish he had still been in season 2. Some of the comments include remarks about the discs routinely falling out; discs piled on top of one another, rather than in spindles; and scratched discs.
Old November 25 2010, 03:47 AM   #15
The Wormhole
Admiral

^ Yeah, I noticed that about Boone on the season 2 set. I wish he had still been in season 2. Some of the comments include remarks about the discs routinely falling out; discs piled on top of one another, rather than in spindles; and scratched discs.
I swear one of the sets, all the discs fell out as soon as I opened it up for the first time. Worst. DVD Packaging. Ever.