RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 142,364
Posts: 5,557,520
Members: 25,278
Currently online: 522
Newest member: Kasol

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Penumbra
By: Michelle on Jan 31

Trek Commemorative Coins
By: T'Bonz on Jan 30

Urban In Dragon Remake
By: T'Bonz on Jan 30

January-February 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Jan 30

New Shatner Priceline Commercial
By: T'Bonz on Jan 29

Pine Joins Netflix Series
By: T'Bonz on Jan 29

Ortiz Art Mugs
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Ingham Passes
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Star Trek Online Celebrates Five Years
By: T'Bonz on Jan 27

WizKids/Star Trek Online Caption Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 14 2011, 10:20 PM   #91
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Centrelea, Nova Scotia
Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

If it's not for the use of the helm as well, why do those stations have an unobstructed view of it?
kkozoriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2011, 10:52 PM   #92
ST-One
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Germany - with UHC since the early 1900s
Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
If it's not for the use of the helm as well, why do those stations have an unobstructed view of it?
Because it looks good; great opportunities for wide-shots with the actors in them rather than having to resort to close-ups or second-unit shots of small monitors.

If you think about it, the large viewscreen makes no practical sense.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2011, 11:18 PM   #93
Captain Mike
Commodore
 
Captain Mike's Avatar
 
Location: Warren, Pa.
Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

Oh Hell!! It matters where the "viewscreen" is located ..

Enemy Commander: "TARGET THAT WINDOW ON TOP OF THAT SHIP!!!!"

ENGINEERING: "Bridge, what was that last order?...BRIDGE...please respond?....
__________________
["Sweet Home Alabama" plays in background]
Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash. ~~~~Garland Greene- "Con Air"
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2011, 11:23 PM   #94
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Centrelea, Nova Scotia
Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

Matt Jeffries designed the bridge. It took into account the necessities of filming but he also took into account how the ship worked. They did make a change from the original design for dramatic reasons and that was moving the elevator off to the side. However, the layout of the stations was done for in universe reasons as well.

Unlike the NuBridge where people have lights shining in their faces and a bif honking window that only the captain can polarize.
kkozoriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2011, 11:24 PM   #95
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

ST-One wrote: View Post
kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
If it's not for the use of the helm as well, why do those stations have an unobstructed view of it?
Because it looks good; great opportunities for wide-shots with the actors in them rather than having to resort to close-ups or second-unit shots of small monitors.

If you think about it, the large viewscreen makes no practical sense.
Actually, most wideshots with the actors in them are facing in the opposite direction, and most viewscreen shots are extra shots without any actors in the frame. Throughout most episodes of all shows.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2011, 11:37 PM   #96
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
Matt Jeffries designed the bridge. It took into account the necessities of filming but he also took into account how the ship worked. They did make a change from the original design for dramatic reasons and that was moving the elevator off to the side. However, the layout of the stations was done for in universe reasons as well.

Unlike the NuBridge where people have lights shining in their faces and a bif honking window that only the captain can polarize.
I actually like the new bridge. Warmed to it immediately once I actually saw it in action... even the window.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2011, 11:47 PM   #97
Captain Mike
Commodore
 
Captain Mike's Avatar
 
Location: Warren, Pa.
Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

BillJ wrote: View Post
kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
Matt Jeffries designed the bridge. It took into account the necessities of filming but he also took into account how the ship worked. They did make a change from the original design for dramatic reasons and that was moving the elevator off to the side. However, the layout of the stations was done for in universe reasons as well.

Unlike the NuBridge where people have lights shining in their faces and a bif honking window that only the captain can polarize.
I actually like the new bridge. Warmed to it immediately once I actually saw it in action... even the window.
The "window" IMO is a reach to the "new and even "older" fans" to just how it appears in other films and shows. It just seems effin' retarded to have an obviously "weak" spot on a command center of a battleship. And yes this "new" Enterprise is a Battleship since it was made to counter-attack the attack on the Kelvin.
__________________
["Sweet Home Alabama" plays in background]
Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash. ~~~~Garland Greene- "Con Air"
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2011, 11:53 PM   #98
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

Captain Mike wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
Matt Jeffries designed the bridge. It took into account the necessities of filming but he also took into account how the ship worked. They did make a change from the original design for dramatic reasons and that was moving the elevator off to the side. However, the layout of the stations was done for in universe reasons as well.

Unlike the NuBridge where people have lights shining in their faces and a bif honking window that only the captain can polarize.
I actually like the new bridge. Warmed to it immediately once I actually saw it in action... even the window.
The "window" IMO is a reach to the "new and even "older" fans" to just how it appears in other films and shows. It just seems effin' retarded to have an obviously "weak" spot on a command center of a battleship. And yes this "new" Enterprise is a Battleship since it was made to counter-attack the attack on the Kelvin.
Unless you sink the bridge down deep into the primary or secondary hull... it has been/always will be an obvious weak spot, window or not. See Star Trek: Nemesis.

The Abramsverse Enterprise is no more (or less) a battlecruiser than the original, which could level the surface of a world with its weapons.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2011, 12:32 AM   #99
The Keeper
Commodore
 
The Keeper's Avatar
 
Location: Where Reality Ends and Illusion Begins
Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

Following is an img of the Enterprise CVN 65

http://www.public.navy.mil/airfor/en...iseBowShot.jpg

See that row of windows just below the antenna arrays atop the superstructure tower, guess what that area is...

It's the Bridge. Right out there in the open totally venerable to attack, IF you can get close enough, which no one ever has. That is why the 1701 can have a window.
__________________
The Keeper
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2011, 12:37 AM   #100
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
Even though the captain has to specifically call for the window to be polarized?
kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
It's a good thing he showed up when he did or the bridge crew would have been blind.
kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
Good thing the captain was there to state the obvious. Who was in charge of the bridge when he wasn't there and why could't they give a simple order like "Darken the window so we can see what's going on out there"?
kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
You read a book that's lying flat on the table in front of you and I'll shine a big, honking spotlight on your face. Let's see how fixated you stay.
kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
So the crew gets to squint into the glare until the captain gives such a menial command?
kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
Good thing he wasn't delayed. Who was in charge while he was off the bridge? Couldn't they give a menial order?
kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
Let be shine a bright light in your eyes and we'll see how well you can see your instruments.
kkozoriz1, as shown by the quoted consecutive posts above you've been pretty much posting the same thing over and over, with only slight variation. You do this sort of thing quite a lot, in fact. As I expect you're well aware, it verges on spamming, it's more than a little trollish and it's boring besides, and I'll say here that I'd like to see a good deal less of it from you, beginning now.
__________________
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but
that the lightning ain't distributed right.
— Mark Twain
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2011, 12:42 AM   #101
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

Shape-Shifter wrote: View Post
Following is an img of the Enterprise CVN 65

http://www.public.navy.mil/airfor/en...iseBowShot.jpg

See that row of windows just below the antenna arrays atop the superstructure tower, guess what that area is...

It's the Bridge. Right out there in the open totally venerable to attack, IF you can get close enough, which no one ever has. That is why the 1701 can have a window.
Yeah... though I'm sure there's an actual need (air traffic control) for it to be there. Not sure if Starfleet ships have that same need.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2011, 12:46 AM   #102
Captain Mike
Commodore
 
Captain Mike's Avatar
 
Location: Warren, Pa.
Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

BillJ wrote: View Post
Captain Mike wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

I actually like the new bridge. Warmed to it immediately once I actually saw it in action... even the window.
The "window" IMO is a reach to the "new and even "older" fans" to just how it appears in other films and shows. It just seems effin' retarded to have an obviously "weak" spot on a command center of a battleship. And yes this "new" Enterprise is a Battleship since it was made to counter-attack the attack on the Kelvin.
Unless you sink the bridge down deep into the primary or secondary hull... it has been/always will be an obvious weak spot, window or not. See Star Trek: Nemesis.

The Abramsverse Enterprise is no more (or less) a battlecruiser than the original, which could level the surface of a world with its weapons.
Or even mention "Generations" when Betor says "Target the Bridge". "FULL disruptrors!!"

When you find out that your enemies learn how to destroy your commans section that a "simpe" window viewer will protect you?...
__________________
["Sweet Home Alabama" plays in background]
Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash. ~~~~Garland Greene- "Con Air"
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2011, 12:50 AM   #103
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

Captain Mike wrote: View Post

When you find out that your enemies learn how to destroy your commans section that a "simpe" window viewer will protect you?...
No one is making the argument that it makes the bridge any 'safer'. I'm questioning the argument that the window somehow makes the bridge 'unsafe'. If safety was the primary concern, we wouldn't be debating a window on the bridge because it would be buried deep within the vessel.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2011, 01:17 AM   #104
ST-One
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Germany - with UHC since the early 1900s
Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

Captain Mike wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
Matt Jeffries designed the bridge. It took into account the necessities of filming but he also took into account how the ship worked. They did make a change from the original design for dramatic reasons and that was moving the elevator off to the side. However, the layout of the stations was done for in universe reasons as well.

Unlike the NuBridge where people have lights shining in their faces and a bif honking window that only the captain can polarize.
I actually like the new bridge. Warmed to it immediately once I actually saw it in action... even the window.
The "window" IMO is a reach to the "new and even "older" fans" to just how it appears in other films and shows. It just seems effin' retarded to have an obviously "weak" spot on a command center of a battleship. And yes this "new" Enterprise is a Battleship since it was made to counter-attack the attack on the Kelvin.
Yeah. Who ever would put windows on the bridge? What's next? Big fucking round sky-lights?
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2011, 01:18 AM   #105
Captain Mike
Commodore
 
Captain Mike's Avatar
 
Location: Warren, Pa.
Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

BillJ wrote: View Post
Captain Mike wrote: View Post

When you find out that your enemies learn how to destroy your commans section that a "simpe" window viewer will protect you?...
No one is making the argument that it makes the bridge any 'safer'. I'm questioning the argument that the window somehow makes the bridge 'unsafe'. If safety was the primary concern, we wouldn't be debating a window on the bridge because it would be buried deep within the vessel.
But the bridge is NOT in another place. Hell, I haven't watched the movie all the way through but it seems it is only a couple of decks down where it is in the PRIME universe.
The bridge position?
That was one of Andy Proberts concerns back when TNG was first being developed. Hence in an old ST: The Magazine interview he stated that is how he came up with the battle bridge.
But getting back on topic... I have to get out because I just don't like this movie.
__________________
["Sweet Home Alabama" plays in background]
Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash. ~~~~Garland Greene- "Con Air"
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
hate, humour, love, review, star trek xi

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.