Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 6 2011, 10:11 PM   #61
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: Someone who enjoyed Star Trek XI

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Once the shields fail, one decent shot from an enemy could shatter that glass and blow everyone out into space. At the climax of the film, the gravity well was cracking it, illustrating what a bad design move that was. It just compounds an already bad design choice.
You mean the glass that cracked at the same rate as the walls and ceiling?
Old January 7 2011, 09:03 AM   #62
Devon
Fleet Captain

ChristmasDaniel wrote: View Post
Once the shields fail, one decent shot from an enemy could shatter that glass and blow everyone out into space. At the climax of the film, the gravity well was cracking it, illustrating what a bad design move that was. It just compounds an already bad design choice.
You mean the glass that cracked at the same rate as the walls and ceiling?
Exactly.
Old January 7 2011, 08:41 PM   #63
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Anyway, just having cracks along the glass as they fought the gravity well is a pretty good indication that "glass unsafe." The glass would rupture a lot sooner than a hull or double hull.
You seem to forget that the actual WALLS cracked before the glass did, so that's sort of a moot point.

OTOH this was never a problem to begin with for the many thousands of windows on the hull of the Enterprise-D, including the big skylight on top of the bridge that likewise never ruptured or showed any signs of rupturing unless the entire rest of the ship was falling apart.
Old January 7 2011, 09:15 PM   #64
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

They should have made the whole bride dome transparent. That would have been a departure from the TOS look.
kkozoriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2011, 12:19 AM   #65
The Inquisitor
Lieutenant Commander

I fully enjoyed the new trek. Any deviation from the established norm is bound to get its critics but thankfully it does seem to be only a very small vocal minority who have been wound up to the point of no return.

Two of the main issues that appear to have stoked the fire of discontent seem to be the 're-imaging' of the trek universe and some of the cast.

Personally I feel the new ship, costumes etc walked the tightrope between staying true to the original and coming up with something fresh incredibly well. I also think Simon Pegg (a huge Trek fan himself) played a good Scotty. I can't think of anyone else I would have preferred to play the part.

I think it will help usher in a new generation of new Trek fans who were too young to appreciate previous films/TV series. Friends of mine who had previously looked at me like an oddball for enjoying Trek thoroughly enjoyed the film and I come in for a lot less stick.

Obviously if people take issue with the film then its well within their right to have their say but, as with anything in life, when taken to a fanatical level only arguments and confrontation can come of it.

On the topic of plot holes I can pick away with the best of them but simply choose not to when trying to enjoy a film.
Old January 12 2011, 05:46 AM   #66
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

As far as plotholes, it's already been pointed out that better films than this have had bigger problems, even in Star Trek. At the end of the day, though, you can't argue with success, and STXI has come out as one of the most successful Trek movies ever made.

The Inquisitor wrote: View Post
I think it will help usher in a new generation of new Trek fans who were too young to appreciate previous films/TV series.
I don't think youth has anything to do with it. My two-year-old son already comes racing through the house like a starving cheetah screaming "E'prise! E'prise!" at the top of his lungs whenever he hears the TNG theme song. And almost everyone I know under the age of 15 who saw STXI have at least made themselves aware of the older series if only to have something to compare the movie too; a surprising number of them have also become fans.
Old January 12 2011, 09:04 AM   #67
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
Forget about the shields. Just aim a visible light laser at the middle of the window and punch a hole right through the captain.
Lasers can't get through shields. Or the navigational deflector.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2011, 02:43 PM   #68
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

If the light of the star was so bright that they needed to polarize the window, a laser of the same frequency could also make it right to the heart of the bridge. All a laser is is light of a single frequency with it's waves in sync. If you're letting in light from outside, a laser of a specific frequency could also get in.
Old January 12 2011, 02:53 PM   #69
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I'm sure the Star Trek windows have an automatic safety cutoff for harmful levels of whatever. Otherwise most of the E-D crew would have been blinded when Beverly flew them into a star in "Descent", or whenever a torpedo explodes outside.

It's an unseen bit of magic, just like the universal translator, which somehow synchs mouth movements, or the magic fields that prevent the ship and crew being crushed upon acceleration.
Old January 12 2011, 08:55 PM   #70
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

Even though the captain has to specifically call for the window to be polarized?
Old January 12 2011, 11:24 PM   #71
F. King Daniel
Admiral

^First and foremost, that was for dramatic effect.

But they also needed to show viewers that there's a reason why everyone's eyes weren't being burned out as the Kelvin flew past that star.
Old January 13 2011, 12:05 AM   #72
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

It's a good thing he showed up when he did or the bridge crew would have been blind.
Old January 13 2011, 12:24 AM   #73
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Admittedly they would have had trouble reading their consoles.
Old January 13 2011, 02:57 AM   #74
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

Good thing the captain was there to state the obvious. Who was in charge of the bridge when he wasn't there and why could't they give a simple order like "Darken the window so we can see what's going on out there"?
Old January 13 2011, 05:02 AM   #75
nightwind1
Commodore

kkozoriz1 wrote: View Post
Forget about the shields. Just aim a visible light laser at the middle of the window and punch a hole right through the captain.
Of course, everyone knows that lasers can't penetrate transparent aluminum!
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote