Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 17 2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Vincent Law
Lieutenant Commander

How would you have done the new movie?

If Paramount had come to you, and asked you to do STXI instead of JJ Abrams, what would you have done? Would you have done a origin story as well, or something different? The only requirement here is that it would have to feature the original crew somehow, even if not all or even most of them. Paramount seemed to think it was important to go back to the original series in some way. And while I'm sure some of you thought the movie JJ Abrams made was just fine, I would prefer if you didn't simply reply with, "exactly what JJ Abrams did," or something else along those lines. That would make discussion rather bland and pointless.

What follows here is just my own personal musing.

I kind of liked the idea of doing an origin story, but in my opinion the new movie tried to do too much at once, among other things I found myself dissatisfied with. Would it be better to feature Kirk and possibly Spock during their times at the academy, or would it be better to start later, say when Kirk first took command of the Enterprise? Or possibly some point in between? Would flashbacks along the lines of what was done in Batman Begins be a good alternative to the standard chronological style of storytelling?

I also have to admit that I am evenly split between the idea of attempting to follow established continuity, and simply doing a Battlestar Galactica style reboot.
Old January 17 2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Re: How would you have done the new movie?

I'd do the Reboot, most likely with the Alternate Universe, however I'd change the storyline slightly...

*No Nero or Exploding Planets (Vulcan still remains as does Romulus in the Prime Timeline)

*The Borg would be responsible for the differences in the timelines, in this Universe, the Borg would have invaded during Archer's time and as a result, the Federation, lucky to survive, would have stepped up a gear and improved their Technology significantly

* A Time Travelling Romulan (Perhaps a descendant of Mark Lenard's Romulan Commander as a little nod to TOS fans) would be responsible for the crisis in the film, in an experiment gone wrong, the Romulan and Spock Prime would end up in the alternate Universe, apparently stuck the Romulan maroons Spock and goes about making the Romulan Empire strong, in order to lead a war against the Federation

*Kirk would be more "Intelligent", he'd do something less "Arrogant" and "Sarcastic" during the Kobayashi Maru simulation, he would also be more confrontational with Spock

*Spock wouldn't be as Emotional as he was in the JJ Movie, I'd also scrap the Spock/Uhura relationship (because it sucked)

*Warp Drive would be less "Star Wars" and more "Star Trek"
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2011, 09:29 PM   #3
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

I don't think this belongs here. Moving...

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

My version would have looked more like the original Star Trek in terms of visual design.

This is reason #157 that I have lots of time to chat on the Internet instead of being busy and in demand to produce Hollywood movies.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2011, 09:59 PM   #5
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Captain M wrote: View Post
I'd do the Reboot, most likely with the Alternate Universe, however I'd change the storyline slightly...

*No Nero or Exploding Planets (Vulcan still remains as does Romulus in the Prime Timeline)

*The Borg would be responsible for the differences in the timelines, in this Universe, the Borg would have invaded during Archer's time and as a result, the Federation, lucky to survive, would have stepped up a gear and improved their Technology significantly

* A Time Travelling Romulan (Perhaps a descendant of Mark Lenard's Romulan Commander as a little nod to TOS fans) would be responsible for the crisis in the film, in an experiment gone wrong, the Romulan and Spock Prime would end up in the alternate Universe, apparently stuck the Romulan maroons Spock and goes about making the Romulan Empire strong, in order to lead a war against the Federation

*Kirk would be more "Intelligent", he'd do something less "Arrogant" and "Sarcastic" during the Kobayashi Maru simulation, he would also be more confrontational with Spock

*Spock wouldn't be as Emotional as he was in the JJ Movie, I'd also scrap the Spock/Uhura relationship (because it sucked)

I like all of this.
Along with your ideas for Kirk, I would scrap the entire Kirk origin storyline, which is, along with Nero, the weakest and stupidest part of the film. He would not go from Cadet to Captain.
Kirk would probably already be an officer, like Spock was. Scotty, and probably Uhura, wouldn't start as cadets, but I might have been fun to have Sulu & Chekov coming in as new cadets, having them serve as a sort of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern role, though not as incompetent cartoons a la STV.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2011, 10:09 PM   #6
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Vincent,

To tell the story in flahsback form may have worked to a degree, but that would require the "present-day" story to serve as a framing device.

Might have been an interesting episode 2-parter in a series, but is not really very cinematic.

A general audience would need an anchor beyond seeing old spock/kirk reminiscing about the past.

It also would be difficult to keep the fast pace necessary if the story is interrupted by too many time jumps between events.

Captain M,

The Borg idea sounds a little like fan indulgence to me, and requires too much knowledge of past continuity for a general audience unfamiliar with Star Trek lore.

It sounds more like an in-universe history to drive differences, but it lacks an immediate dramatic hook. A background detail is not dramatic enough to hold the audience's attention, and does nothing to further the characters or the core of the story.

Althouhg it could be possible to have Vulcan and Romulus survive, the question comes as to what the dramatic drive of your movie would be. Who/What would provide the adventure and pace needed to drive the story and draw your audience into the drama?

Dramatically, you need big stakes to drive big events.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2011, 10:11 PM   #7
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Dennis wrote: View Post
My version would have looked more like the original Star Trek in terms of visual design.

This is reason #157 that I have lots of time to chat on the Internet instead of being busy and in demand to produce Hollywood movies.
I personally like the idea of being closer to TOS, but the truth is, the TOS look and feel would not hold up as well on the big screen and be believable enough to carry a 2009 movie.
Old January 17 2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Vincent Law
Lieutenant Commander

Captain M wrote: View Post

But if you would reboot the franchise with the new movie, why would you need any kind of time-traveling plotline, or anything that changes how things were in the original?

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
Vincent,

To tell the story in flahsback form may have worked to a degree, but that would require the "present-day" story to serve as a framing device.

Might have been an interesting episode 2-parter in a series, but is not really very cinematic.

A general audience would need an anchor beyond seeing old spock/kirk reminiscing about the past.

It also would be difficult to keep the fast pace necessary if the story is interrupted by too many time jumps between events.
As I said, Batman Begins seemed to do this rather effectively, as there was only one instance of a flashback being used that had two characters sitting around talking as the framing reference for the flashback itself, at least as I can recall. From what I remember, most of the flashbacks took place as the character was unconscious and dreaming about the events. I believe I am Legend used the same method. As for pacing, I believe both those movies did an adequate job of keeping things moving without trying to go too fast, though Batman Begins was a better movie in my opinion.
Old January 17 2011, 10:32 PM   #9
Gojira
Commodore

I love the Star Wars type of warp drive. IMHO that is the way it always should have been done!

The only thing I would have done differently would have been to be more clear and less ambiguous about the movie taking place in an a parallel universe. In other words, I would have made it a clear reboot possibly without the time travel (although I love the time travel) I would also have tried to fit both Nimoy and Shatner in the film.
Old January 18 2011, 12:02 AM   #10
Captain Mike
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post

Well, hell Dennis. If you did that, with a better story I would have probably gotten hyped up about it at the beginning. Probably wou;d have enjoyed that better than what we got. Although you like this one....
Old January 18 2011, 12:06 AM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Drop the origin story and drop Spock Prime. Try to tell a more straight-forward story (hard reboot).
Old January 18 2011, 12:10 AM   #12
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

A story that begins with Kirk, Spock & Crew in the 23rd century and is resolved by Picard and Nimoy Spock in the 24th century. No time travel, no "passing the torch" junk, just a linear storyline.
First hour is TOS, second hour is TNG, and the transition between both timeframes is a seamless blend from young Spock's face to Nimoy Spock's face.

I'd also be okay with a full reboot. Originally they wanted to blow up the Enterprise under Captain April, which would have explained any changes to the universe much better.

And visually... the TMP era designs, those are timeless. No huge shitfuck of reimagined stuff and barcode scanners and crap.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2011, 12:18 AM   #13
Avon
Fleet Captain

i would have remade 'the cage' with perhaps a moderate amount of lens flair.
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2011, 12:28 AM   #14
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Drop the origin story and drop Spock Prime. Try to tell a more straight-forward story (hard reboot).
Some merit to this, but it would mean alienating fans who want the story to fit in with existing continuity. Six of one, half dozen of the other.
Old January 18 2011, 12:37 AM   #15
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
A story that begins with Kirk, Spock & Crew in the 23rd century and is resolved by Picard and Nimoy Spock in the 24th century. No time travel, no "passing the torch" junk, just a linear storyline.
This would involve the TNG crew, and not make for a good setup for future adventures. It would also require non-fans to have a familiarity with both crews from the start, thus defeating the entire reason Paramount wanted the movie in the first place.
First hour is TOS, second hour is TNG, and the transition between both timeframes is a seamless blend from young Spock's face to Nimoy Spock's face.
Nice given the premise above, but losing half of your cast halfway through a movie is not wise. Again, if the TNG crew are the endpoint of the movie, it sets up future adventures with the TNG crew, and the TOS crew serve no function to the end of the movie dramatically.
I'd also be okay with a full reboot. Originally they wanted to blow up the Enterprise under Captain April, which would have explained any changes to the universe much better.
This would have been met with cries from fans who would likely reject the full reboot, and wonder why it would be necessary to destroy the Enterprise if it was a true reboot.
And visually... the TMP era designs, those are timeless. No huge shitfuck of reimagined stuff and barcode scanners and crap.
The Barcode Scanners are only apparent when pointed out, IMHO, and most of the time, I don't see them, but YMMV.

The TMP Era designs were fantastic, but if this was a TOS movie, it is TOS that should vaguely be the design model, no?

If it is a true reboot, then re-using existing designs would be the laziest, least creative option.

If it is NOT a reboot, the TMP designs would have been seen as an egregious breach of continuity, and creatively lazy.

The TOS designs would have been laughed off the screen by general audiences.

Star Trek would die as a franchise in your hands.