So I cancelled Netflix today.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by darkshadow0001, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

how about for UPCOMING releases?

2. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I've never used BB but a friend of mine did and he did not like the service. Slow turnaround time and he sometimes received discs he didn't even have in his queue. That and no streaming either? That doesn't make it a worthy substitute for Netflix at all IMO.

As for your complaints, I agree with other posters who suggest it may be your local distributor. In the five years I've been with them I had one cracked disc and one "dirty" one I had to clean (but it played fine after). The cracked disc was replaced almost instantly (it came two days after I called it in) and they never asked any questions, they just apologized and asked me to send back the broken disc - now that's service!

I'm on the 2 disc plan and the $1 increase doesn't phase me at all. I spend more on a cup of coffee in Manhattan. However, in your circumstance, I totally get it and hope things balance out for you job-wise. :)

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You have to search for those on your own, as far as I know, but once you find them, you can "save" them and they will appear on your queue as soon as they are released.

4. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Makes sense for them, I understand. But, in my experience, the quality of the streaming is nowhere as good as a DVD. That's got to change if they want us to give up DVD's.

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ The quality for me is great; even the episodes & movies in HD are perfect. I do far more streaming than I do disc renting at this point. Hell, I've had The Secret in Their Eyes here since the 10th, yet I've watched 43 tv episodes and 5 movies via Watch Instantly during that same period of time. If you're having issues with quality, I'd look to your ISP rather than Netflix.

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

My problem with streaming is they don't have enough on it, but it looks good to me.

I rather spend an extra $2 a month to get an extra 4-6 movies that aren't on streaming.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been streaming movies for 2 months now and while that may be a short span I've not had a problem with the quality at all.

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The quality is perfect on my end. But dial-up won't cut it. ;)

9. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I'd ten times rather watch something on Netflix than Hulu or any other online streaming site. In fact, if it's available for instant streaming, I will often watch it that way rather than bothering dragging out my DVD copy. :lol:

10. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually I liked Blockbuster before I went to Netflix. The only reason I went to them was because when Blockbuster started charging late fees for movies that weren't even late. That's why I originally stopped going there, I never cared for Netflix before hand.

And if you do watch streaming through just a PC (I don't have a game system or their box to watch it on TV) sometimes the player gets jumpy a lot because of how long it takes to load. My friend streams through his gaming consoles and I can see it is better that way. But anyway, I did like Netflix I just haven't been happy with the way things have been with them for the past year :)

11. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

???

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Click New Releases. Scroll down until you see the menu that says "Released in the Last __________." You can choose from the drop down menu anywhere between 12 months and 1 week.

13. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sorry, but this thread was created over $3?? :wtf:

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I never like to minimize people's financial situations, but I have to agree with you. Netflix is a luxury item. If you can't afford the $1-3 price increase (depending on the plan you have), then I have question why you ever got Netflix at all. I feel there are better places you should have been putting your money...like a savings account.

15. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I'm on 1 DVD/Unlimited streaming and given the instant watch availability, it's a steal if you ask me, even with the extra $1. The streaming only plan is going to be extremely attractive to those who use the Roku's, Game systems and ipads.

The extra cost will drive some people away, but it's gonna help the company in the long run. The streaming contracts are expensive and having more $$$ to work with will probably open the door for more to be added to the streaming inventory, hopefully even new releases.

Given how much the entire media world is changing, it's all gonna be about the contracts and who's got the better one with who. Netflix could end up with early release instant watch for one company and BB with another.

16. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

*checks Netflix*

Ah, I see there's an option for DVDs. I was hoping for such an option for instant streaming. Thanks for the help, though.

17. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Netflix is brilliant, and on the three at a time plan I find the difference between 16.99 and 19.99 to be negligible. Plus I can dial it back to two at a time if needs be. Plus I use the streaming like mad on my overnight shifts at work. I certainly get my money's worth... and you can pause the service when you're going to be away or something and not pay for a bit. Overall I much prefer it to taking my chances at some ratty Redbox or going to Blockbuster.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Minimize it, but to be fair, that IS about a 15-20% price increase. And it's not like they even rolled out some new service or benefit to go along with it and try to justify it, they just bumped up the price. Stamps didn't go up, they're streaming more than they mail out (which should greatly reduce their costs).

Realistically, Blockbuster isn't doing so good right now, so they thought they could bump up the cost a little and not take too bad a hit, so they did...

19. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

In interviews with Netflix's founder, he has said all along that his business model was to provide streaming movies. The dvds through mail thing was a means to an end... creating brand identity and a market. Clearly, as the technology has finally caught up and the ways you can stream Netflix films straight to your television screen are many, this is meant to put a little pressure on consumers to pony up for some device or another to use Netflix solely as a streaming provider. Notice that the price for stream-only service is ridiculously low... and consider that they can make a lot more money with a lot less overhead if they can manage to phase out the dvd end of the business.

20. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point. It is mostly? partly? totally? my ISP (which is, at least, better than the previous one. :sigh:)