RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 420
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 24 2011, 07:18 PM   #241
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Buffy TVS to be (ugh) Rebooted

I suggest those who have been "reacting" about season nine should join us in the season nine discussion thread. We could seriously use the added company.

@005 in my humble opinion there was absolutely zero need to reboot Buffy. Not to mention using an unknown writer with a lack of experience and supposedly a fan of the series. According to the link that I posted earlier Whit Anderson "brought some good ideas to the table" but there was no substance there. Also considering that there was absolutely ZERO news until just recently that bodes ill well. Usually we hear some kind of report or update on how a project is progressing. This says to me that those responsible were not keen on what she was producing. In my own personal opinion if there was any way in hell this project would have been interesting and entertaining and not just an attempt to cash in on the current vampire craze going on then I would be open minded to it. I just have zero interest in any kind of Buffy reboot , especially without Joss's approval or involvement. The general consensus is no one wanted this. The story of Buffy on screen is pretty much completed The comics are satisfying my Buffy fix quite nicely actually as far as a continuation goes.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2011, 12:58 AM   #242
Gothowitz
Lieutenant Commander

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I suggest those who have been "reacting" about season nine should join us in the season nine discussion thread. We could seriously use the added company.
I'm not surprised.
For me, the comics are pretty crappy. Season 8 was a mess. I follow along via issue summaries when I remember to look.

About the Movie reboot/reimagining/revamp/whatever term fits best, I say go for it!
Or is "Do it! Do it! Do it!" more appropriate?

I'd be really interested in seeing a Buffy franchise without Xander, Willow, Giles, Angel and Spike.
I've already got that story; on DVDs.

The story is about Buffy, not Buffy and Superfriends.
Gothowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2011, 12:59 AM   #243
Skywalker
Admiral

But the Superfriends were more interesting than Buffy.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2011, 01:01 AM   #244
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

True, I watched the show far more regularly for Willow, Spike, Tara, Giles and several of the secondary characters far more than I ever did for Buffy, she was superfluous to the show for me, might as well not have been there.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2011, 01:03 AM   #245
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

If their was an intention on the part of the rights holders (I can never spell their name correctly) to do a film right (i.e. not cheaply) then I'd be more open. I just wasn't feeling the approach on this attempt at all.

Old December 25 2011, 01:27 AM   #246
Gothowitz
Lieutenant Commander

I just wasn't feeling the approach on this attempt at all.
You had feeling left after the first rumors came out a couple of years ago even hinting at a Buffy movie without the whole gang or Whedon?

I would have thought the frantic-frothing-at-the-mouth-rabid-dog snapping from superfanatic Whedonites (synonym there I think) would have deadened all senses and left you comatose.

Honestly, they make the '09ers look positively sanguine in comparison. Kind of like a small group of really loud Chihuahuas dressed in tutus.

I like Buffy too, but really...
Old December 25 2011, 01:38 AM   #247
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Sigh. I think I expressed my opinion on the reboot quite clearly. Has nothing to do with being a "Whedonite". I've stated what would get my interest in such an attempt as well. An unaccomplished writer who no one has heard of before is not one of them.

Old December 25 2011, 02:31 AM   #248
Gothowitz
Lieutenant Commander

Sigh.
Sorry.
Didn't say or imply you. Sorry if you took it as such.
You seem to have a reasonable mind about this matter.
Some other fans, not so much.
Old December 25 2011, 07:28 AM   #249
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Gothowitz wrote: View Post
I'm not surprised.
For me, the comics are pretty crappy. Season 8 was a mess. I follow along via issue summaries when I remember to look.
Yeah, that's just the same as actually reading the comics. Kind of like reading episode summaries is a perfect replacement for actually watching them.

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
But the Superfriends were more interesting than Buffy.
Your mileage may vary.
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
True, I watched the show far more regularly for Willow, Spike, Tara, Giles and several of the secondary characters far more than I ever did for Buffy, she was superfluous to the show for me, might as well not have been there.
Spike is the only one on that list who's as interesting as Buffy to me (the other character I'd say that for is Faith). Willow is interesting but I always liked Buffy better. Tara was rather dull, though she started getting a bit more of a personality in season 6.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2011, 04:47 PM   #250
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Maybe its a good thing its been delayed. They do need to wait a couple of years for Chloë Moretz anyway
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2011, 03:46 AM   #251
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

"Delayed" in this case means dead. There was never a movie to be made, here - this project was all about some people owning the rights to an established "vampire" property featuring a female lead. As such, the target market was always the Twilight crowd.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2011, 06:40 AM   #252
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

It's like a certain Doctor said recently: "If you're going to ride in the Kentucky Derby, you don't leave your prize stallion in the stable..."

Joss IS the Buffy-verse "prize stallion". He and the handful of his trusted co-creators are the only ones who "get it".

Joss-less Buffy was just not going to fly.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2011, 02:19 PM   #253
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

There is nothing to "get". Joss created his own interpretation of the story, any half talented director can make his or her own, and will.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2011, 02:37 PM   #254
Lonemagpie
Writer

Same here- they could have dumped everybody except Giles, Spike, and Willow, without decreasing my enjoyment at all...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2011, 02:39 PM   #255
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

There is nothing to "get". Joss created his own interpretation of the story, any half talented director can make his or her own, and will.
So can any fanfic writer. Doesn't mean it's equally valid as Joss's, who didn't just create "his own interpretation of the story" - he created the story in the first place.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote