Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 18 2010, 08:55 PM   #1
drazzz52923849
Lieutenant Commander

View drazzz52923849's Twitter Profile
Ender's Game

Anyone read this book? Great science fiction novel. I think that the "Buggers" in this book were what the borg became. Anyone else agree?
drazzz52923849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Ender's Game

You're suggesting that the villains of one franchise became the villains in another totally unrelated franchise?

Yeah... no.

It's a great book. And it's unrelated to Star Trek.
Old November 18 2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

Ennie... Meenie.... Mynee.... NO.....
great series though...... should be a good movie... well... if the don't F it up...
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Caliburn24
Commodore

One of my favorite scifi books, but I have never seen even the slightest hint that the Buggers were an inspiration for the Borg.

Fred Saberhagen's Berserkers always felt more Borg-ish to me.

The Berserker series is a series of space opera science fiction short stories and novels by Fred Saberhagen, in which robotic self-replicating machines intend to destroy all sentient life. These Berserkers, named after the human berserker warriors of Norse legend, are doomsday weapons left over from an interstellar war between two races of extraterrestrials some 50,000 years ago. They all have machine intelligence, and their sizes range from that of an asteroid, in the case of an automated repair and construction base, down to human size (and shape) or smaller.

The Berserkers' bases are capable of manufacturing more and deadlier Berserkers as their perceived "need" arises. The original Berserkers had been designed and built as an Ultimate Weapon to kill the enemy in the long-ago war. The race which created them somehow forgot how to turn them off, and it was killed off itself. Then Berserkers set about killing sentient life wherever it could be found. When the Berserkers found out how deadly some forms of life could be to them, some were constructed to wreck entire life-bearing planets and moons, against the possibility that their life might someday evolve into sentient life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker_(Saberhagen)
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2010, 09:35 PM   #5
RoJoHen
Awesome

It's my favorite book, but no, the Buggers and Borg have nothing to do with each other.
Old November 18 2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Bisz
Rear Admiral

I quite enjoyed the book but like the other posters, have no idea where you think the relation to Borg may be coming from.
Old November 19 2010, 01:58 AM   #7
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I am thinking that the Cybermen had more to do with the inspiration for the Borg.
Old November 19 2010, 02:13 AM   #8
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Not my favourite book, but in my eyes, the Buggers were more biological than the Borg were.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2010, 02:21 AM   #9
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Bisz wrote: View Post
I quite enjoyed the book but like the other posters, have no idea where you think the relation to Borg may be coming from.
The hive mind and drone social structure, probably.

And, believe it or not, Maurice Hurley's original idea for the Borg was an insectoid race like the Buggers (or, as later editions call them, the Formics), but it wasn't feasible on TNG's budget.

So, yes, it is actually possible that Ender's Game could have influenced the Borg.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2010, 02:41 AM   #10
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Fantastic book. I own several of the sequels, but I've never bothered to read them. I felt the story was wrapped up very well in the original.

As for the Buggers as Borg, I'll just say no.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2010, 02:42 AM   #11
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
And, believe it or not, Maurice Hurley's original idea for the Borg was an insectoid race like the Buggers (or, as later editions call them, the Formics), but it wasn't feasible on TNG's budget.

Ok, I can see where you're coming from. Maybe similar to the Xindi from Enterprise?
Old November 19 2010, 02:43 AM   #12
RoJoHen
Awesome

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Fantastic book. I own several of the sequels, but I've never bothered to read them. I felt the story was wrapped up very well in the original.
You should definitely read the sequels. "Speaker for the Dead" is at least as good as "Ender's Game," if not better.
Old November 19 2010, 03:05 AM   #13
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

I pictured the buggers as giant Ant / Praying Mantis types....
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2010, 06:56 AM   #14
Reverend
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
You should definitely read the sequels. "Speaker for the Dead" is at least as good as "Ender's Game," if not better.
Agreed. Best to be aware though, that it's a very different book.
If one were looking to recapture some of what the first book was like than I'd highly recommend Ender's Shadow. It covers roughly the same span of time and many of the same events but it's told from Bean's perspective and the sequels cover the period only briefly mentioned at the end of Ender's Game; like what happened on Earth in the decades Ender and Valentine spent on their way to the colony (relatively speaking), what became of the other battle school kids, how Peter came to power etc. Very worthwhile I thought.

I keep seeing rumblings of a movie adaptation every now and then. I'll believe it when I see it as I can hardly see any movie studio making an essentially mature story with a cast almost entierly consisting of under 12s...and no romance.
They'll either try and and dumb it down to be a kid's movie or change it so they're all teenagers instead...and add a romance. In either case it'd suck. Might be better off animated methinks.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2010, 07:31 AM   #15
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, the last time I heard, it was in development hell. It would be a tough movie to make while still staying true to the material. I've also heard about a game, but I'm not entirely sure how they would make a game out of it either.