Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 27 2011, 01:04 PM   #1531
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Design the Next Enterprise

Now that I like.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2011, 01:26 PM   #1532
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

I like it!
Old May 27 2011, 02:46 PM   #1533
Ihlecreations
Captain

View Ihlecreations's Twitter Profile

Glad you guys like it. Now I know the perspective is a little off but I think I am on track with it. I still need to do a few more angles to see if this will work.
Ihlecreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2011, 03:44 PM   #1534
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Ihlecreations wrote: View Post
OK this is REALLLY ROUGH but it is more in line with where I am heading with the look of this sucker.
Looks good to me
Old May 28 2011, 12:06 AM   #1535
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Ihlecreations wrote: View Post
OK this is REALLLY ROUGH but it is more in line with where I am heading with the look of this sucker.

FYI - I just saw this post over on the STO forums (link) -(it was made by the STO artist/dev doing the STO model of the ship, so, Ihlecreations, you might want to check your e-mail.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2011, 12:21 AM   #1536
StarTreklover
Ensign

Hmm. This is starting to really look more like a kitbash than an original design. The saucer is essentially the excelsior's, the lower hull is essentially the galaxy's, and the nacelles are pretty sovereign-ish.
StarTreklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2011, 04:57 AM   #1537
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Erm, might want to get a pair of glasses, TrekLover.
Old May 28 2011, 05:58 AM   #1538
sojourner
Vice Admiral

StarTreklover wrote: View Post
Hmm. This is starting to really look more like a kitbash than an original design. The saucer is essentially the excelsior's, the lower hull is essentially the galaxy's, and the nacelles are pretty sovereign-ish.
Can you link to the image you're looking at? Because it's not anywhere I can find.
Old May 28 2011, 09:14 PM   #1539
publiusr
Commodore

I like that secondary hull underbelly treatment. I hope you use that again.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2011, 05:17 PM   #1540
DFScott
Captain

View DFScott's Twitter Profile

Perspective drawing -- especially a design this complex -- is really, really tough. You think you've drawn the box just right, but then you realize that the scale is all wrong (I tend not to foreshorten enough).

In this particular rough sketch, Ihlecreations, I can't help but feel that the ship is curled as though it wrapped itself around a lamppost. Most noticeably: The middle ring of your primary hull is divided into nice pie-wedges. On the starboard side (towards us) the slice in that pie wedge lines up nicely alongside the "wing." If I extend that same slice line in the plane of your saucer's perspective to the opposite side, it comes in two "slices" in front of the port-side wing.

Note at the moment I'm not discussing your design, just this specific drawing. Unless you're tired of my suggestions, I have a practical one that might help out: Build a skeletal model of your ship out of everyday materials, like craft sticks or straws. Not the surface of the ship, but just the backbone, as though it were a model of elevator shafts. Paint colored spots at points that represent "milestone" areas like the bridge cap or the wing joints or the lower sensor dome. Then position this model on your desk at the angle you want to draw, and study these milestone points carefully. Then draw these milestones like a constellation on your page. And wrap your ship around it.

I think this way you'll be able to better appreciate some of your very outstanding ideas, like the red flares along the wing joints (impulse engines? thrusters? surprises?) and the jutting dovetail toward the extended shuttle bay. Keep in mind, every artist does exactly what you're doing now; they come to grips with the strangeness of perspective drawing. And they make perspective or scaling errors, but we never see them.

(By the way, for the record. . . Not at all a kitbash.)

DF "Knows a Few Things About 'Bent'" Scott
Old May 30 2011, 08:24 PM   #1541
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

DFScott wrote: View Post
Perspective drawing -- especially a design this complex -- is really, really tough. You think you've drawn the box just right, but then you realize that the scale is all wrong (I tend not to foreshorten enough).

In this particular rough sketch, Ihlecreations, I can't help but feel that the ship is curled as though it wrapped itself around a lamppost. Most noticeably: The middle ring of your primary hull is divided into nice pie-wedges. On the starboard side (towards us) the slice in that pie wedge lines up nicely alongside the "wing." If I extend that same slice line in the plane of your saucer's perspective to the opposite side, it comes in two "slices" in front of the port-side wing.

Note at the moment I'm not discussing your design, just this specific drawing. Unless you're tired of my suggestions, I have a practical one that might help out: Build a skeletal model of your ship out of everyday materials, like craft sticks or straws. Not the surface of the ship, but just the backbone, as though it were a model of elevator shafts. Paint colored spots at points that represent "milestone" areas like the bridge cap or the wing joints or the lower sensor dome. Then position this model on your desk at the angle you want to draw, and study these milestone points carefully. Then draw these milestones like a constellation on your page. And wrap your ship around it.

I think this way you'll be able to better appreciate some of your very outstanding ideas, like the red flares along the wing joints (impulse engines? thrusters? surprises?) and the jutting dovetail toward the extended shuttle bay. Keep in mind, every artist does exactly what you're doing now; they come to grips with the strangeness of perspective drawing. And they make perspective or scaling errors, but we never see them.

(By the way, for the record. . . Not at all a kitbash.)

DF "Knows a Few Things About 'Bent'" Scott
DF's points are exactly why it's a good idea (with the inexpensive available of at least the BASIC tools) to do a 3D model of the design you've got in mind. There are lots of inexpensive, or even FREE, tools out there these days.

Note - I did not just say "no one should do 2d drawings." Nor did I say that "2D drawings aren't the best starting point." I'm just saying... unless you've got it in 3D, you simply can't say for sure how it looks from every angle, and you MIGHT end up with two different angles which are actually contradictory, but which you THINK work together. (I discovered that with Aridas Sofia's "Ariel Class Shuttlecarrier" and when I made my model of that, I had to make some compromises... so neither of the main views he provided (top or port) look EXACTLY like his did, but they do capture the intent.)

Don't bother to make your 3D model look "pretty." Don't worry about texturing, unless you want to see how textures look from different perspectives. I WOULD use this to lay out guide lines for window placement (ensuring that the windows actually fall all onto commonsame "deck planes"... something that lots of post-TNG-era ships fail miserably at!)

Treat it as a tool, if you wish... don't worry about getting all the fine detail in place... but use it to work out shapes, forms, relationships. Then, you can go right back to 2D work, if that's your preferred medium.

Seriously, Adam... give it a shot. Just try "sketchup" if you like... or try the now-free "Truespace" if you want something a bit more polished... or try Blender. Hell, just go with foamcore and paper-mache (and a decent set of magic markers) if that's all you're up to.

But trust me... until you've made a decent-sized, reasonably-accurately-shaped physical model, you just don't know how it's going to look.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2011, 08:27 PM   #1542
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
StarTreklover wrote: View Post
Can you link to the image you're looking at? Because it's not anywhere I can find.
Oh, obviously... it isn't like the ships he prefers, and has a few features he feels are vaguely familiar... so it's a copy. I learned that side of the argument YEARS ago...
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 05:11 AM   #1543
Ihlecreations
Captain

Last edited by Ihlecreations; May 31 2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: stupid computer
Old May 31 2011, 05:20 AM   #1544
Ihlecreations
Captain

Ok, DF i feel like I am back in art school every time I read one of your posts . I am well aware of the sketch I posted being off. Like I said it was done really quick to just get the idea I across, not to layout all the final dimensions. I wish I have time to build a physical model but I don't. That being said I whipped this up, it needs some polish to figure out all the ins and outs so please I am not looking for an art lesson or suggestions, I am just letting you all know as I go along this is the direction I am heading in. It's a large file so here is a link
http://img856.imageshack.us/i/ortho1.jpg/
Old May 31 2011, 05:35 AM   #1545
bobafett
Ensign

Looking great!
And I totally agree - too much time is being spent on the negatives instead of focusing on the positive aspects of these designs. Keep up the nice work IHL!
bobafett is offline   Reply With Quote