TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old November 20 2010, 12:14 AM   #16
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.
Re: November Challenge--"Serenity Prayer", A Tale of Captain Ezri Dax

That was a very enjoyable read. I really like the way you characterize Simon, he's an awesome guy. And you write the friendship between him an Ezri very well, it seems natural, almost sibling but quite professional. Keep it up!
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2010, 01:45 AM   #17
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Enterprise1981 wrote: View Post
Agreed. I have my own, what you might call, addendums to episodes and novels and even to my own stories. I have to remind myself to just tell the story and not worry about what might get cut out in order to condense it down to a 45 minute episode. On the other hand, I don't want to get too caught up in unimportant story elements.
Absolutely. Thanks, mate.

TiberiusMaximus wrote: View Post
That was a very enjoyable read. I really like the way you characterize Simon, he's an awesome guy. And you write the friendship between him and Ezri very well, it seems natural, almost sibling but quite professional. Keep it up!
Thanks!

Yep--Simon certainly has come so far from "The Drumhead" (TNG).

Yes, I really enjoyed writing his friendship with Ezri. Ezri-Sam, as Mack and KRAD write it, is pretty cool, but I loved the idea having a Kirk/McCoy kind of "deep" friendship, resembling family.

Ezri-and-Sam is more of a "buddy" kind of friendship, while Ezri-and-Simon I felt should be a bit closer than that. I feel that Sam, the tough "straight-man", couldn't really provide the comfort and support that Simon--himself a tortured soul--could.

And, as I said, the story behind this friendship is in a previous tale of mine. I gave some hints of it in this one, but I strongly recommend "The Cleanest Food To Find" for anyone wanting to understand their friendship more.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."

Last edited by Rush Limborg; November 20 2010 at 03:21 AM.
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 12:44 AM   #18
The Badger
Fleet Captain

Another well written tale, with great characterisation and dialogue. I really must get around to reading the novels sometime.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 01:36 AM   #19
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Thank you, Badger!

Old November 29 2010, 12:30 AM   #20
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Okay...I guess I'd better bump this a bit, so it'll stay on radar as the challenge comes to a close....

Any more comments, folks? Write away!

Old December 12 2010, 05:16 PM   #21
Diogenes
Lieutenant

AWESOME!
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2010, 05:51 PM   #22
Enterprise1981
Rear Admiral

View Enterprise1981's Twitter Profile

I kept meaning to add how I liked the kind of captain and doctor dynamic we never saw outside of Kirk-McCoy and Pike-Boyce. We saw that to a lesser extent with Picard-Pulaski while Picard-Crusher was kind of a "will they or won't they?" teaser. I began to ask myself if the captain-doctor dynamic in my fanon would be the chick version of Kirk and McCoy, but it's more like the Janeway and Seven of Nine mother-daughter dynamic.
Old December 14 2010, 09:24 PM   #23
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Diogenes wrote: View Post
AWESOME!
Thank you--very much!

Enterprise1981 wrote: View Post
I kept meaning to add how I liked the kind of captain and doctor dynamic we never saw outside of Kirk-McCoy and Pike-Boyce. We saw that to a lesser extent with Picard-Pulaski while Picard-Crusher was kind of a "will they or won't they?" teaser. I began to ask myself if the captain-doctor dynamic in my fanon would be the chick version of Kirk and McCoy, but it's more like the Janeway and Seven of Nine mother-daughter dynamic.
Thanks, mate!

Yep--ever since my earlier tale, I found myself unable to resist making Simon and Ezri dear friends, along the lines of Kirk-McCoy, with some Pike-Boyce thrown in for good measure.

And again...I was unable to resist Simon having an affectionate nickname for Ezri. "Skip", BTW, is just as much shorthand for "Skipper", or Captain, as it is a reference to Ezri's enthusiastic, "young-at-heart" personality....

Old December 16 2010, 05:04 AM   #24
Diogenes
Lieutenant

Okay, I confess, I logged on hoping that I'd missed a chapter. No such luck...

By the way, if there are any of the officially published Trek authors out there reading this: PLEASE, someone, make it official that Dr. Simon Tarses refers to Ezri as Skip.

Commander Bowers would HATE it. I think it would be fun to watch Sam get all bent outta shape about the fact that 1st officer or not, no one has Ezri's ear on the Aventine quite the way Simon does.

I've been hoping that some character would emerge on Aventine as a friendly sort of foil Bowers. I nominate Simon.

Whoa! Wait a second... Okay, now I feel a little silly as I realize that I took the bait and followed through into the full Spcok/Kirk/Bobes triad before I even realized it.

Sam/Ezri/Simon. I like it.

It's always the best and well-written stories that inspire the reader's mind to race beyond even what the writer has given.

Thanks again.
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 06:38 PM   #25
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Well...thanks for that, mate!

I may not be pro (yet...), but I'll take that under consideration....

BTW--You may recall how, in Rendevous With Destiny, Simon's use of the nickname makes Sam flinch.

Also...I must confess, I seem to have, in "RWD", inadvertently anticipated Ezri's constant torment of poor Sam in Zero Sum Game. Again, "eccentric" Ezri vs. "straight-man" Sam--shades of Holmes-Watson, or 007-Q.

Last edited by Rush Limborg; January 8 2011 at 12:03 AM.