Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 13 2010, 06:24 AM   #16
Jetfire

Re: SMALLVILLE: JL or L*?

^
That's not bad.

I would love a new show with Smallville/Legion Of Superheroes and S1 takes place in Smallville...Clark is a sophomore not a freshman with Legionaries in the back ground and S2 Clark would become aware of them and they would work together in Clark's time and S3 would be Clark's senior year it would focus more on Smallville type stuff with a 31st century threat looming and Clark graduating and S4 Clark would be in the 31st Century helping the Legion with various things and the big threat hinted at the end of S3. S5 would jump forward and he is in his senior year at college...and that season would take place in the past and future with the big bad being Imperiex and end with Clark becomeing Superman in his time...but he has worn the \S/uit in the future with the L* in S4. I would only want it to be 5 seasons...and every ep be balls to the wall exciting...with no filler.
Old November 13 2010, 06:37 AM   #17
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
Jetfire wrote: View Post
Well Clark has had people tell him what he will become...maybe not actually walking him through a Superman museum but he has yet to make a leap on his own...someone has pushed him into doing things he needed to do on his own. I see what you are saying but the writers have yet to show Clark make choices on his own...he is either pushed, pulled or given no other option...Lana comes to mind.
YES, someone else gets it

THIS Clark has not come into being Superman on his own, this Clark is being pushed/forced/dragged kicking and screaming into become Superman
So it is The Last Temptation of Christ version of Superman.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2010, 02:59 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

...and S4 Clark would be in the 31st Century helping the Legion with various things and the big threat hinted at the end of S3.
You really think they could've afforded to set an entire season in the 31st century? Or that it would've appealed to the broader demographic the show was aiming for? It would never have happened.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2010, 06:36 PM   #19
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ It's just his suggestion of what he would have done Christopher not a serious pitch. Obviously the CW would not be able to afford to set a show in the 31st century and do it justice. As for the demographics...oh boy...a teenage group of superheroes mixed with romance, tragedy, action and adventure!!??? I think a Legion show matches the CW's demo perfectly dude.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2010, 07:58 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

^If you say so. But Smallville was designed to interpret the Superman mythos for viewers who wouldn't be normally interested in Superman. These days it's incorporating a lot more DCU mythology, but that's partly because it's had years to ease the audience into it and partly because movies like Iron Man and The Dark Knight have made superhero fiction more respectable. But back when Smallville first started, something like the Legion would never have passed muster because it was just too far out.

Old November 13 2010, 08:09 PM   #21
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Well you would still be able to ease people into a Legion show. I'm not saying that a Legion show would be gigantic. I think it would be able to sustain the same ratings that Smallville gets each week, Alexz Johnson is by no means a house hold name but she did carry "Instant Star" here in Canada on her shoulders for four seasons before it eventually ran its course. As Saturn Girl she was amazing. I think if you had Geoff Johns and Paul Levitz as Executive Producers and a sound show runner team in charge they would be able to make it work.

I think viewers would be interested in seeing the FUTURE of the DCU...and that this would be the linchpin of the series. Immortal beings like Ra's al Ghul (who actually was involved in a plot to become the United Planets President and take over), Vandal Savage, and of course their own rouges gallery would be a focus. Plus the every day troubles and tribulations of a teenager would be character arc focus. I'm almost totally convinced a Legion show would work.

Not to mention the fact as I stated before in another thread Clark's history with the Legion is well documented.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; November 13 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old November 13 2010, 08:33 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

There was an animated Legion show that only lasted two seasons. But then, it wasn't very good.

And yeah, I certainly would enjoy watching Alexz Johnson on a weekly basis, but that wasn't really the issue I was addressing. As a rule, no matter how relatable your characters are, futuristic or outer-space settings tend to drive off a large portion of the general television audience. You might have awesome characterization and drama but lots of people just won't bother to watch it because they're put off by the exotic setting. Remember Century City? It was a courtroom drama set in the near-ish future, exploring the new questions of law and ethics that would be raised by cutting-edge advances in biotech, computers, and the like. It was a fascinating, innovative idea. And it was cancelled after about four weeks, because the lawyer-show audience was scared off by the futurism.

The sad fact is, most TV viewers will accept anything weird -- aliens, Kryptonite mutants, ludicrous "fringe science," vampires, werewolves, superpowers -- if you give it to them in a familiar, present-day setting; but if you try to give them a story about realistic, relatable characters and situations that happens to take place in the future or on another planet, odds are they'll reject it. It's weird, but it's true.

Then again, Galactica managed to last four years. There's kind of a built-in audience for action-oriented space shows, even if more drama-oriented SF like Century City or Caprica can't catch a break. So yeah, in theory, an action-oriented superhero show set in the future might have a chance. But I don't see the WB or the CW going for it. After all, action has always been secondary in Smallville. It's first and foremost a drama, and the superheroics make up only a few moments out of any given episode. And I can't see the big three networks going for it either. NBC and ABC both prefer present-day SF/fantasy, and genre has always been thin on the ground at CBS. FOX might go for it; they've always been the network most willing to buy and air genre shows, even if those shows don't often last long. Syfy would probably be the most likely home for it, but whether they could give it the budget it would need is open to question.

Old November 13 2010, 08:53 PM   #23
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I'm afraid I agree with you. A Legion show would probably last no more than a season. Was "Century City" that lawyer show with Zachery Ty Bryan? Brad from "Home Improvement"?

Old November 14 2010, 12:49 AM   #24
Christopher
Writer

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Was "Century City" that lawyer show with Zachery Ty Bryan? Brad from "Home Improvement"?
Uhh, Bryan apparently guest starred in the third episode, but I doubt that's what you mean. It starred Ioan Gruffudd, Nestor Carbonell, Viola Davis, and Kristin Lehman.

Old November 14 2010, 01:03 AM   #25
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I think that was the only episode I saw LOL

Old November 14 2010, 01:24 AM   #26
Jetfire

Christopher wrote: View Post
...and S4 Clark would be in the 31st Century helping the Legion with various things and the big threat hinted at the end of S3.
You really think they could've afforded to set an entire season in the 31st century? Or that it would've appealed to the broader demographic the show was aiming for? It would never have happened.
This is what I would do...I wouldn't expect a network or general viewing public to except it.
Old November 14 2010, 01:38 AM   #27
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Christopher has a valid point about the budget for the series being astronomical, also about a viewing need for a show like the Legion. It could be one of those series with a niche following but not much else, some fans would argue that's exactly what Smallville has become in the last few years. The fact though is that Clark's ties to the Legion can not be disputable and I really do think they should have appeared a lot sooner than they did.

With regards to the Justice League/DCU characters appearing. I like the solo episodes where they appeared and I thought "Justice" was just a spectacular episode but ultimately I disagreed with having them on the show before Clark was Superman.

The thing about "Smallville" is that it is supposed to be about Clark Kent's formulative years except in the way the series has been presented, they've exhausted that part and now are telling stories about his early adult life, while still holding strong to their old formulaic style and of course reinforcing with an iron fist "No Flights, No Tights".

Old November 14 2010, 01:46 AM   #28
Jetfire

The budget would be any bigger than Smallville's is. Most of the 31st century would be green screen and a set much like a space ship bridge...yes it would cost but any SF show would be expensive to do...plus the 31st century would come into play really until the 4th season and by then the show would have a built in audience...like I said this is what I would do...not what I expect to be done...big difference there.

If Clark spent time in the 31st century...he could where the suit and be Superman...before it happens in his own time. Once again...this is just my imagination at work...don't take it too seriously.
Old November 14 2010, 02:13 AM   #29
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Indeed. My Legion show though, the one I spent months working on but ultimately scrapped would have been pretty huge. Bigger than Smallville in both concept and execution.

Old November 14 2010, 02:17 AM   #30
Christopher
Writer

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
The thing about "Smallville" is that it is supposed to be about Clark Kent's formulative years except in the way the series has been presented, they've exhausted that part and now are telling stories about his early adult life, while still holding strong to their old formulaic style and of course reinforcing with an iron fist "No Flights, No Tights".
The problem is that the series ran so much longer than they ever expected, so they've had to postpone his transformation into Superman unnaturally long while still coming up with new stories to tell that could move the saga forward. I assume the reason they didn't just turn it into a Superman series is that, like I said, the whole idea was to reinterpret the Superman myth for people who'd be put off by the cape and tights. That's the fanbase that made the show a success: the people who watch for Clark, not Superman. Yes, they're also trying to appeal to the comics-fan side of the fanbase more and more these days, but I can understand them not wanting to alienate the show's original fanbase in the process, not wanting to fundamentally change their brand identity.