New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

View Poll Results: Grade The Greater Good
10 Chevrons – Out of this Universe 25 42.37%
9 Chevrons – Beyond the known Galaxies 18 30.51%
8 Chevrons – In the Milky Way Galaxy 12 20.34%
7 Chevrons – Within our Solar System 2 3.39%
6 Chevrons – Can’t get past Earth (Average) 1 1.69%
5 Chevrons – No flying machines at all 1 1.69%
4 Chevrons – Pre-Industrial 0 0%
3 Chevrons – Dark Ages 0 0%
2 Chevrons – Throwing rocks and stones here 0 0%
1 Chevron – Cannot Establish Lock 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 10 2010, 06:09 AM   #121
JWD75
Commander

Re: SG-U – The Greater Good - (2x07) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

Great episode. I hope this show doesn't get cancelled just as it starts to realize it's potential.
Old November 10 2010, 06:31 AM   #122
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

good episode. wonder if Rush and Young can really put the past aside and work together. Rush could have easily let Young drift off into space. i also share the general wtf of the next episode preview. are the writers taking a page from Joss Whedon's book or something?
Old November 10 2010, 06:39 AM   #123
Snick27
Captain

Great episode. I truly feel this should of been the final episode of season 1. If we could of squeezed out some episodes out of season 1 and put these in there instead then i feel the show would be in such better shape ratings wise.

Now we have a mission, and a crew in control of Destiny. Finally.
Old November 10 2010, 06:40 AM   #124
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Great, great episode.
Old November 10 2010, 06:51 AM   #125
Kaijima
Captain

Say what you will about SGU so far, but the reveal of Destiny's mission - or at least a part of it - is epic stuff, handled in a subtle way. This is real hard sci-fi stuff, and the initial scope of the idea is way behind the usual crap you see in television sci-fi. There are many places they could take it, and it does immediately include another mystery:

If Destiny's role is to travel the universe and map the structure of the cosmic background radiation, why the trouble with a fleet of seed ships and stargates on every decent planet along the way? What importance do the individual planets have?

But what's more, consider now the "godlike" aliens who seemingly built the shelter-planet on which now resides the left-behind Destiny survivors (and the baby). Those aliens seem to exhibit seriously ascended or even perhaps beyond ascended power. Maybe they're a super ultra ancient race who has already figured out the big secret and plays the space-time skein like a fiddle? What do they think of these humanoid folks who are poking around looking for the same thing?

It also throws everything into question we've seen so far. There were claims originally that the first few seasons of SGU were mapped out and none of this is random. What about stuff such as the three crew members "lost" in the second episode via the random gate address? Perhaps they were picked up by omnipotent aliens themselves. What about the Blue Guys who were following Destiny specifically in the previous galaxy. Did they know about the mission, and wanted the data on the ship?

Perhaps various races in this part of the universe are aware of the godlike entities and are themselves researching how to attain that power.

Finally, another thought. How can this be spun into the mythology of the Ancients? I actually felt back in season 1 that SGU could be used to retcon the Ancients into being more meaningful than the frankly silly state they'd degenerated into by the time Atlantis was finished. At this point it almost seems as if the Milky Way Lantians who ascended made an error due to being pressed to ascend to save themselves. Those ascended post-humans have great individual power, but seem stuck in a stalemate with other relatively ascended beings who don't want to be involved with lesser races.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing it retconned that the Milky Way Ancients are just one branch of the civilization, who made many mistakes. And the people who built Destiny where an older order who were more competent and thought bigger than merely ascension for personal power.
Old November 10 2010, 06:53 AM   #126
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Look at the poll. Great consensus so far.
Old November 10 2010, 06:58 AM   #127
Sisko_is_my_captain
Captain

F'ING SPOILER IMMEDIATELY AS THE CREDITS STARTED! WTF!?

"Don't blame me - I voted for Kodos the Executioner."
Old November 10 2010, 07:53 AM   #128
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

Kaijima wrote: View Post

If Destiny's role is to travel the universe and map the structure of the cosmic background radiation, why the trouble with a fleet of seed ships and stargates on every decent planet along the way?
Kill two birds with one stone.
Old November 10 2010, 07:57 AM   #129
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Plus, those far reaches of the universe would be reachable easily with Stargates.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old November 10 2010, 08:57 AM   #130
watermelony2k
Vice Admiral

A return to form for SGU. Brought out the best of everything that the show has had to offer so far: space adventure, fantastic visual effects, more Rush, and the best guest star we've had so far.

I think the show works best when it evokes the wonder and mystery of ancient alien races and derelict alien spaceships. I only wish that it hadn't taken one and a half seasons to get to this point.

Y'know, if you cut out some of the filler stuff from the past season and a half and condense the storyline into that of one season, this show would have been consistently much more engaging up to now.

Last edited by watermelony2k; November 10 2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old November 10 2010, 09:29 AM   #131
Starbrow
Lieutenant Commander

8/10
The Ginn part was a let down. I understand why Simeon did what he did. She was a loose canon.
Firstly she back-shoots there former-newly apointed leader of Lucian Strike force. Then she sold out Lucian Alliance.
I am surprised she didnt saw it comming. Or maybe she did.

But if you look at a bigger picture, the only role Ginn had here, was to help Eli get over Chloe. And Simeon role was to get ride of Ginn.

Was this Sub-plot really worth the air time they spent on it, and going to spent in the next episode? What do you think?
Old November 10 2010, 10:06 AM   #132
Listener4
Lieutenant Commander

Best episode this season. If every episode was at this level this show could really go somewhere.
Old November 10 2010, 11:45 AM   #133
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Starbrow wrote: View Post
The Ginn part was a let down. I understand why Simeon did

Was this Sub-plot really worth the air time they spent on it, and going to spent in the next episode? What do you think?

Only because Eli is gonna be pissssssssed off.
Old November 10 2010, 12:23 PM   #134
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Didn't they learn from anything Troi? Don't let the woman fly the ship!
I was thinking that's what you get when you let the quadriplegic drive.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Old November 10 2010, 01:37 PM   #135
SG-17
Commodore

Here is an excerpt from the script about the Mission, spoilers obviously but if you are reading this thread it shouldn't be an issue.

Rush- ...About it's mission. it's far more important than we ever thought.

Young- Well ok let's hear it.

Rush- Are you familiar with the cosmic microwave background radiation?

Young- Noise left over from the big bang.

Rush- A long time ago, the Ancients made a discovery. they found evidence of a
structure. Buried deep within the background radiation. They believed at one time this structure had genuine complexity. coherence. Therefore could not have occurred naturally.

Young- How is that even possible?

Rush- it's not. at least not according to our current understanding of physics. Nor can we even see this structure with our technology.

Young- OK so what are we talking about? some kind of code? a message?

Rush- A message perhaps. Or a sign of intelligence. From the beginning of time.

Young- Sent by..?

Rush- Well that's the very question they sought to answer when they launched Destiny. That is the mission. We're talking about a mystery rooted in the foundation of reality. A puzzle. with pieces scattered across the length and breadth of the universe itself.

Rush- Once I'd broken the code I had access to the ships complete archive. There are thousands of pages devoted to this. Scientific research, philosophical debate.

Rush- We're talking about a level of order present at the very beginning of space-time that goes beyond anything we've ever conceived. I believe that the more we learn, the more pieces Destiny uncovers, then the greater our power to control everything around us will be.

Rush- Yes Colonel, it is about power. To control our fate. right our wrongs....To gain greater understanding.