To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 17 2010, 08:28 PM   #61
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: Dune Production is In Trouble

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I'd much prefer an adaption of "God Emperor of Dune" which is my favorite book and something that was about to happen at SyFy but they axed the project when they told John Harrision they didn't have the budget for another film.
ARGH! But I always wondered how they would have planned to do that one... obviously you need CG for Leto, but would they have brought back James McAvoy for the face/voice?
Old November 17 2010, 09:03 PM   #62
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
Just watched disc 1 of the 2000 miniseries. Looking forward to seeing the rest. Not a bad approach, aside from the fact that the acting is utterly embarrassing (seriously, I had no idea that William Hurt could be that bad). It's unfortunate that we won't see a feature film any time soon, though. The story world and characters would do well with a high-end production and a suitably adapted script.
I wasn't too impressed with the 2000 mini at first either, but it does kind of grow on you.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2010, 09:07 PM   #63
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
Just watched disc 1 of the 2000 miniseries. Looking forward to seeing the rest. Not a bad approach, aside from the fact that the acting is utterly embarrassing (seriously, I had no idea that William Hurt could be that bad). It's unfortunate that we won't see a feature film any time soon, though. The story world and characters would do well with a high-end production and a suitably adapted script.
I wasn't too impressed with the 2000 mini at first either, but it does kind of grow on you.

I prefer it to the Lynch movie actually. I like the theatrical nature of the sets, which I know most people dislike, but...

It feels like an opera.
Old November 17 2010, 10:08 PM   #64
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

^ I actually kinda like what they do with the lighting, often drastically changing it on a character's face and the background for a dramatic effect. Definitely gives that "theatrical" feel you mention. The nature of a miniseries means that they can provide a much greater level of detail than a feature film. And I like the background, especially of the Fremen culture. The music's enjoyable, too. I just wish the acting and the dialogue were a bit better (as of the end of disc two, at least). The Harkonnen Baron is pretty good, but after that, performances fall off precipitously.
Old November 17 2010, 10:19 PM   #65
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Ian McNiece is by far the best acting performance of the "Dune" mini-series. I think his Baron Harkonnen was extremely faithful to the book depiction of the character. He managed to not overact the part which is what I think the actor from the Lynch movie did (I can't remember his name at the moment).

@Set Harth...I think the hope was to retain James McAvoy who had not quite blossomed yet, I think he had just been cast in "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" at the time Harrison was writing the script. I believe that CG and green screen would have been used for Leto II.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2010, 11:17 PM   #66
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

That's what I thought they were going to do.
Old November 18 2010, 12:19 AM   #67
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I think it would have been an incredible experience to watch and one of the most ambitious television projects had it been green lit. There was talk of a Dune live action series on HBO or something like that but nothing ever came with that.

Old November 18 2010, 01:53 AM   #68
Kegg
Rear Admiral

You know a Dune opera isn't a bad idea.

What? If they could make an opera out of PKD's Valis they can do one about Dune.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
There was talk of a Dune live action series on HBO or something like that but nothing ever came with that.
And let's not forget the completely insane ambition of Alejandro Jodoworsky's Dune, which had Salvador Dali as the Emperor and I believe was going to suggest an incestuous Paul/Jessica relationship.

That'd... really have been something to talk about, anyway.
Old November 18 2010, 02:10 AM   #69
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Yes the Jorodosky's "Dune" script is my Holy Grail of most wanted screenplays. Frank Herbert once described the script as a 'phone book'. There is a synopsis available of it on Dunefans.net or something like that. A "Dune" opera would be pretty bad ass actually.

Old November 18 2010, 08:02 AM   #70
Kirkman1987
Commodore

I have to thank the fans of the miniseries in this thread. You convinced me to give it another try, and I fully enjoyed it this time. Going to try Children of Dune soon.

I tHink I went in the first time with inflated expectations.

Outside of a Lord of the Rings styled franchise, I don't think we will get a much better adaptation.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2011, 10:55 PM   #71
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Paramount bows out as their option just expired

March 22, 2011
the studio’s four-year attempt to make a movie out of the franchise has fallen by the wayside. Paramount and the rights holders came to a parting of the ways as the rights lapsed. “Paramount’s option has expired and we couldn’t reach an agreement,” said Richard P. Rubinstein, who controls the rights to what is considered the biggest-selling science fiction book ever. “I’m going to look at my options, and whether I wind up taking the script we developed in turnaround, or start over, I’m not sure yet.”
Rubinstein and Misher quite liked the job that Taken helmer Pierre Morel did in collaborating with Chase Palmer. They managed to get a script that cut the mammoth subject matter down to a compelling story that could be told at feature length. Rubinstein said that he would probably re-approach Morel and Palmer, but those conversations haven’t yet happened. All they now need is a financier ready to put up the $100 million or so in production budget needed to get the film under way. If they do use the Palmer script, Paramount stands to recoup some of its development costs.
Paramount Ends 4-Year Attempt To Turn Frank Herbert's 'Dune' Into Film Franchise

Give it another 5 years and more people will try again.

A franchise film companies just love. sequels...
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2011, 10:58 PM   #72
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I'm actually glad this isn't happening. I probably would have been severely disappointed.
Old March 22 2011, 11:49 PM   #73
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

Admiral_Young wrote:
There was talk of a Dune live action series on HBO or something like that but nothing ever came with that.
No, that was for the then SciFi Channel. I do wish it had happened. I think the notion was to tell a story between the first miniseries and Children Of Dune with Paul... ect popping in every now and then. Sort of the grunts/victims of Pauls Jihad storylune.
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2011, 11:51 PM   #74
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I still want to see God Emperor turned into some kind of show/movie/miniseries.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 12:41 AM   #75
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^You and me both. Considering how popular the Dune and Children of Dune minis were, I'm surprised Sci-Fi never pursued a God Emperor mini.