New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 9 2010, 04:28 AM   #1
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Dune Production is In Trouble

I've had a bad feeling about this project since it was first announced a year or two ago and I don't think it will ever get off the ground. We've had no casting news from it and now it seems they're running out of time before the rights revert. I read a few months ago Josh Zetumer's treatment for the film (he wrote the first draft of the script which was reportedly a whopping 175 pages) and combined the characters of Gurney and Duncan together. I hated it if only for that reason. The concept art for the Berg production was released a few months ago as well and looked horrible. I really don't think this movie will be made. I'd much prefer an adaption of "God Emperor of Dune" which is my favorite book and something that was about to happen at SyFy but they axed the project when they told John Harrision they didn't have the budget for another film.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Dune-...tor-21636.html

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 04:57 AM   #2
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: Dune Production is In Trouble

Honestly, do we really need another Dune? I love the novel series up to and including God Emperor.

I was fine with the miniseries a few years ago. I don't think this is really possible to do justice to as a movie. The basic story of Dune is not what makes it a great novel. When you remove all the politics and subtleties of the story, which you need to do in order to make a movie, you end up with what is at heart only a mediocre story.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 05:05 AM   #3
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I think Paramount wanted another science fiction epic adaption of their own to mirror "Lord of the Rings" and they worked pretty hard to get the rights from the Herbert foundation. I think those rights expire at the end of this or next year. I personally was looking forward to this until I read that treatment, it was pretty bad. I don't think we need another adaption of it, as I said I'd prefer an adaption of "God Emperor of Dune".

Old November 9 2010, 05:48 AM   #4
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I think Paramount wanted another science fiction epic adaption of their own to mirror "Lord of the Rings" and they worked pretty hard to get the rights from the Herbert foundation. I think those rights expire at the end of this or next year. I personally was looking forward to this until I read that treatment, it was pretty bad. I don't think we need another adaption of it, as I said I'd prefer an adaption of "God Emperor of Dune".
What appeals to me about God Emperor is that it would have the potential to be a political/philosophical Science Fiction movie and not just another action adventure piece.
Old November 9 2010, 05:57 AM   #5
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

^Unfortunately, a "political/philosophical" science fiction movie is just about the last thing that would sell enough tickets to justify the huge price-tag a movie like this would need to command.
Old November 9 2010, 06:06 AM   #6
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Which is what I believe forced SyFy to cancel it.

Old November 9 2010, 06:22 AM   #7
theenglish
Rear Admiral

FordSVT wrote: View Post
^Unfortunately, a "political/philosophical" science fiction movie is just about the last thing that would sell enough tickets to justify the huge price-tag a movie like this would need to command.
I disagree--although any studio would believe your assumption--I think this movie can be done on a "reasonable" budget and I think that if it were a good movie it could do well.

The problem is that it would work much better as an "indy" movie than a big budget movie.
Old November 9 2010, 06:49 AM   #8
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Let it die. I can't imagine there's a HUGE demand to see it. And there are probably other more film franchise friendly material out there.
Old November 9 2010, 06:51 AM   #9
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Most likely wasn't any demand at all, that doesn't mean studios won't decide to make these things over and over again.

Old November 9 2010, 06:56 AM   #10
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Most likely wasn't any demand at all, that doesn't mean studios won't decide to make these things over and over again.
Oh, sure.

But, I feel like they could've gotten something more feature film friendly, like the Lensmen books (I'm just thinking of the first thing...) It's action, sci-fi, not SO known that people would have expectations....

If they really want a sci-fi franchise, there's lots of material out there.
Old November 9 2010, 07:07 AM   #11
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Oh, sure.

But, I feel like they could've gotten something more feature film friendly, like the Lensmen books (I'm just thinking of the first thing...) It's action, sci-fi, not SO known that people would have expectations....

Or, better yet, why not just produce an original story with original characters?
Old November 9 2010, 07:21 AM   #12
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^That'd be too hard.

Old November 9 2010, 11:25 AM   #13
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Oh, sure.

Or, better yet, why not just produce an original story with original characters?
In my opinion Hollywood does too much of its own stuff when it comes to sci-fi and has left so much of the world of sci-fi literature untouched. That includes short stories.

About this new possible Dune movie....I'm currently on Heretics of Dune and now think that I'd prefer they get past the first book, as we've seen that, twice. Though of course they're not going to jump ahead and make a God Emperor of Dune movie. It's just a dream I have.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 01:29 PM   #14
Kegg
Rear Admiral

And I often think I'm alone in the God Emperor of Dune love. The novel is pretty much antithetical to what Hollywood would want from a big budget Dune adaptation, of course, so my estimated date for it being filmed is never.

Realistically I don't think we'll get a film that tops David Lynch's; and that's not even as someone trying to defend Lynch's film as a good movie... it's just a movie willing to take some risks and be a trifle weird in its presentation of this alien environment. Berg's concept was definitely dire (I believe he used the word 'muscular'), but then I heard some vague talk about getting a new director - which is good - and now silence - yeah, less so.

Also, last I heard, Joe Michael Straczynski was writing a film adaptation of Lensman... but I haven't heard squat from that producton in a while either. Lensman lends itself well to Hollywood's purposes, though, certainly.

As far as Hollywood producing original stories and characters, man I wish they did that more often oh hello Avatar didn't see you come in.... Yeah. It's a base they got covered.
Old November 9 2010, 02:08 PM   #15
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Honestly, I prefer Heratics and Chapterhouse over God Emperor. Partly because I can never recall the sequence of events (despite having read it twice) which leaves me with the impression that not very much actually happens, but mostly because Miles Teg rocks.

I can understand why so few are willing to attempt to adapt GEoD. Though now the technology is finally there that they could pull off Leto's worm body convincingly, it'd still be horrendously expensive as it's in practically every scene. Also, from a marketing standpoint alone I can see it being difficult to sell the idea of a love between a dashing hero, a beautiful woman...and Jabba the Hutt. On paper it works, but on screen...probably not so much.

As for this latest production, I was excited back when Berg was director (having just watched The Kingdom at the time) but watching Hancock rather dulled that enthusiasm. Since he dropped it, it's been pretty clear there's been no evidence of anyone at the project's tiller. If there's one thing that's an absolute MUST for a Dune adaptation it's a strong leader with a VERY firm grip on what they want to achive and how they intend to approach the material.

To do it right they'd need the likes of David Fincher, Ridley Scott, Peter Jackson or James Cameron (yes I know Scott almost took a shot at Dune before ending up on Alien.) By that I mean a director with a firm grounding in the effects side but also for characterization AND a near obsessive attention to detail. I'm not saying those are the only directors that can do it, just that they posses the qualities that would be needed to pull it off.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote