Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old November 2 2010, 09:29 PM   #1
Timbal
Cadet

I need characters..

Hey, people!

I'm writing a piece of fan fiction for a graphic novel about an unlikely group of friends on the Enterprise. I'm finding it hard to think of characters and i'd be very grateful if you could fill out this survey to inspire me.

It's pretty much like creating a character for an RPG. Remember the G.O.A.T test? It's like that, but shorter, and you can answer how you'd like to

here's the link http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SDCK6RP

Thanks guys!
Timbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 12:10 AM   #2
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Re: I need characters..

Try the Seventh Sanctum Character Generator
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/genera...name=quickchar
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 02:01 AM   #3
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Yeah, something like that would be FAR better than asking other people to do your work for you.
Old November 3 2010, 02:28 AM   #4
kes7
Fleet Captain

That won't work. Characters are the heart of any story. If you don't know them, love them and understand them in your own head, they're not going to translate well on the page. Just saying ....
Old November 3 2010, 02:37 AM   #5
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

At least a character generator is better than ripping other people's work, and with a little material to go on, you CAN build a convincing backstory...but only if you do a LOT of thinking and a lot of "heart-work" on the characters to make them realistic.
Old November 3 2010, 03:59 AM   #6
Timbal
Cadet

I'm studying illustration at university and the survey was part of the module. I needed to illustrate someone else's ideas to imitate the concept of working for someone, as if i was being commissioned by them.

I only need the basic details and one of the other questions answered.

Honestly, I am in no way using this because I'm lazy creatively.
Timbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 04:01 AM   #7
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I don't think you're going to find people who are willing to give their ideas over to anyone else that they don't know. Go ask one of your classmates, maybe, or a friend in real life who is actually in a position to know that you've gotten that assignment in school.
Old November 3 2010, 05:26 AM   #8
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

kes7 wrote: View Post
That won't work. Characters are the heart of any story. If you don't know them, love them and understand them in your own head, they're not going to translate well on the page. Just saying ....
^

This.

And also what Nerys said... if a writer has an idea for a great character, it's more likely they'll use that character in one of their own stories.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 05:53 AM   #9
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Yeah, something like that would be FAR better than asking other people to do your work for you.
Exactly. I never give my characters away. I draft them and let them come alive on their own. But I've used the character generator for, say, the crew of a ship about to be blown out of the water.

kes7 wrote: View Post
The story is what comes first to me, and then I populate it with characters.

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
At least a character generator is better than ripping other people's work, and with a little material to go on, you CAN build a convincing backstory...but only if you do a LOT of thinking and a lot of "heart-work" on the characters to make them realistic.
Quite so. Again, I'd rather someone use a character generator than let someone else do all the legwork for them.

BolianAuthor wrote: View Post
....if a writer has an idea for a great character, it's more likely they'll use that character in one of their own stories.
Absolutely. Not going to let my characters go to a complete stranger.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2010, 10:11 AM   #10
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I understand that you might need to kickstart your brain regarding characters, but it is more satisfying if you come up with them yourself. I think the personal connection is stronger.

My advice is to look at your friends, family, coworkers/colleagues for inspiration at first. Or people you've met, or maybe people that you would like to meet or figures you admire. Start there, and maybe mix up a few characteristics or traits from those people to get 'new' people/characters.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 05:30 AM   #11
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Screw all of them, I love to help.

Let me see if I can come up with two or three for ya.

EDIT, program would only let me create just one ... Pur'Shall, the androgynous Kree

Last edited by T'Girl; November 9 2010 at 05:46 AM.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 06:25 PM   #12
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Timbal wrote: View Post
Hey, people!

I'm writing a piece of fan fiction for a graphic novel about an unlikely group of friends on the Enterprise. I'm finding it hard to think of characters and i'd be very grateful if you could fill out this survey to inspire me.

It's pretty much like creating a character for an RPG. Remember the G.O.A.T test? It's like that, but shorter, and you can answer how you'd like to

here's the link http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SDCK6RP

Thanks guys!
Survey done. Hope it helps.

But here's a stupid question: Why not just have somebody else write the story for you and just illustrate it? Concentrate your creativity on actually drawing.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 06:54 PM   #13
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

^

Seeing as how he's so lazy that he wants others to make characters for him, I doubt he wants to "concentrate" on anything.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 07:19 PM   #14
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

That character generator sounds like a good source for inspiration.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 08:38 PM   #15
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

BolianAuthor wrote: View Post
^

Seeing as how he's so lazy that he wants others to make characters for him, I doubt he wants to "concentrate" on anything.
I'm taking this explanation at face value:

I'm studying illustration at university and the survey was part of the module. I needed to illustrate someone else's ideas to imitate the concept of working for someone, as if i was being commissioned by them.
If this is true then it defeats the purpose of the exercise for Timbal to be creating his own characters at all. The idea is to illustrate someone else's creation. I would assume that would include their characters, not his.

And even if it's not true, I see no reason to jump down the guy's throat just for asking. Say "no" or don't respond in the thread at all.

-Tom Clancy

Last edited by Admiral2; November 9 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote