A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Would you have preferred Singer's sequel or Snyder's reboot?
Bryan Singer's proposed sequel 15 39.47%
Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan's reboot 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 7 2010, 05:14 AM   #16
Chick_McGeester
Lieutenant

Re: Michael Dougherty talks "Superman Returns" sequel

Singer should have used Routh with as many original donner cast members as possible. This way everyone is as old as they would be in the 25-30 years or so since the Doner films. Then Clark sits there looking 27 years old thinking no one knows he's really Superman. Kinda like the "The Rock" Superman skit on SNL a few years ago where Superman thinks he's fooling everyone but he's not. Now that would have been an interesting movie.
Chick_McGeester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 07:59 AM   #17
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Wasn't this movie going to be called The Man of Steel? I wonder if Snyder/Nolan version will use that name.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 09:30 AM   #18
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Well gee maybe you should have written that film TO BEGIN WITH.

Just because Star Trek had a mediocre first movie before getting its' Wrath of Khan, doesn't mean every franchise should do the same.

They had their chance. Their movie was mediocre. You don't get another chance. That happens (or should happen) only when you make an awesome movie. See Christopher Nolan and Batman Begins.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 09:44 AM   #19
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

And now we'll see Superman Starts.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 10:22 AM   #20
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Sigh. "Superman: Man of Steel" was a media generated title coming from someones online supposed online review of the script. That was never the confirmed title and yet media and fans have continued to use it, and continue to use it to describe the Nolan/Snyder project now as well. It's been something of a pet peeve for me.

Tired of "Superman Returns" debates but what Singer should have done was his own original take on Superman which he basically attempted to do but mixed parts of it with the Donner universe. He got Dick's blessing through his wife Laura while pitching his concept during production on "X2" on what he would do with a Superman movie if he ever got a chance to make it. Laura liked it so much that she gave him a chance to pitch it to Richard (her husband) and he embraced the idea and Singer was convinced based on that to go ahead with the film once the problems with Fox started.

I don't mind what Singer tried to do with the film at all. I think it would have been more wildly accepted by fans if there was more action sequences in it. I don't buy the argument that Superman is only interesting when he punches something. The plane sequence was breathtaking and my theater clapped and cheered when Superman saved the plane, we were all starved to see Superman again we got caught up in the moment like the people in Metropolis Stadium. The other action piece is when Clark saves Lois and the Whites from the yacht. I think Singer was obviously motivated to show and tell how important Superman's place in our world is and used obvious Jesus allegories to do so, right down to the Death and Return of Superman homage at the end of the movie.

That all being said it's still a beautifully shot movie (I think even the most disgruntled fan can recognize that) with a great cast (with the exception of maybe Kate Bosworth who I never bought as the Margot Kidder Lois who she obviously was supposed to be despite Bryan's claims of vagueness). I think a sequel would have been amazing and given fans exactly what they wanted to see from the first film. I had an idea where Brainiac is actually formed from the mineral deposits combined with the sunstone crystal that Lex wrapped it it and slowly evolves absorbing fragments of the sunstone crystal (which contains fragments of knowledge from the 28 known galaxies) and assimilates New Krypton into his Skull Ship which he embeds himself at the core of the body and launches an invasion of the Earth. The subplot would have dealt with Clark finally moving on with his life while dealing with the knowledge that Jason was his son.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 01:37 PM   #21
Saul
Rear Admiral

Brainiac I like. Kryptonians not so much. Been there, done that with Zod and I don't want another rehash of a Superman movie. While I do like the connection to the Donner movies which is fantastic work. I think people call them boring because they aren't used to when movies didn't have an action scene inserted every 5 minutes to keep people awake. The Donner films have inspired the likes of the Spider-man Movies and Nolan's Batman.
Old November 7 2010, 01:56 PM   #22
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I think what makes the Donner films work is the majesty with which Superman is portrayed as if that makes sense. They're almost fairy tales in their own way. Superman isn't really god like yet and still trying to establish himself in our world. I think I would have not have focused so much on the Lois and Clark aspect. It'd still be there but it wouldn't take up a big chunk of my movie. I've enjoyed aspects of the films but otherwise count me in as not much of a big fan.

Old November 7 2010, 03:20 PM   #23
T'Baio
Admiral

The kid was an unnecessary plot contrivance and Bosworth sucked. If you had removed/changed those two things, I believe Superman Returns would be seen with more reverence.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 03:41 PM   #24
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I actually think the kid was interesting if unnecessary. Obviously they thought just Lois wasn't enough for Clark to deal with when he returned. The little actor who played him was great and wasn't annoying. In fact the only negative responses regarding Jason seem to be the fact that he's there in the first place, not his acting which normally is the problem.

Old November 7 2010, 03:46 PM   #25
Warped9
Admiral

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
If Singer wanted to make a good movie, he should have done so with the movie he was actually given, instead of blowing his opportunity on dull, cornball nostalgia and saving the good stuff for some imagined entitlement to another movie.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
This essentially. Superman Returns was just flat and basically a retelling of the '78 Superman: The Movie. And hearing them talk of Zod I can't help but feel that what Singer would have done would have been to remake Superman II. No Thanks.

I'll stick with Nolan and company and I never want to see Brandon Routh ever again. For me Routh had zero screen presence. The fact is he barely uttered a word throughout the whole film as if they were terrified of him speaking. The whole thing was a rehash.

Superman Returns was nice to look at...except for the pleather additions to Supes costume.

I couldn't care less what Singer planned because I saw first hand what he actually did.
Old November 7 2010, 03:51 PM   #26
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

What do you mean Trent...the movie he was given? Singer wasn't given a movie, he pitched his own idea which became the movie we got.

Old November 7 2010, 06:21 PM   #27
billcosby
Commodore

I'd had enough of the darkness.
If I need more darkness I'll switch off the lights.

I firmly don't believe that everything in Hollywood can be repaired just by adding Seth Rogan and making everything darker.
Every time they reboot something they take something away from the original - I'm not saying they shouldn't reboot (because sometimes it works great) but seriously, give it 5 years or so.

My choice is neither.

Last edited by billcosby; November 7 2010 at 07:17 PM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 06:51 PM   #28
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I voted Singer sequel as I'm not especially keen on the choice of Snyder as director. It's also hard to call because we have some idea what the Singer sequel would have been about but we have none about what the Nolan/Snyder movie will be.

Singer directing a Nolan-guided reboot would be my preferred choice.
Old November 7 2010, 07:39 PM   #29
Warped9
Admiral

I think some folks are assuming that Nolan and Snyder will do Superman as Batman was done. That's not a given. I'm taking it as they'll have a fresh approach and not necessarily a dark one.
Old November 7 2010, 08:44 PM   #30
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Has anyone read the Superman: Earth One graphic novel yet? I don't know about anyone else but that just screamed movie adaptation to me.

As for Singer's film...it was OK...but that's it really. The only really exciting part was the space plane sequence but after that there was nothing that could really top it, so they shot themselves in the foot a bit in that regard. I didn't mind all the links to the Donner films, but I felt it was a little too slavish and should have pushed a little harder to get out of it's shadow and try for something new. The result was neither one thing or the other and was, unfortunately rather mediocre. A real shame because I can't fault the casting or the performances, all were very good and I didn't notice any "bad" dialogue. Effects, set design, cinematography, score, all top flight material.

I suppose the biggest let down was Lex's "master plan" which made even less sense than in the old movie. I mean, OK, he breaks into the fortress, steals Kryptonian technology and uses it to...grow a barren continent thinking he'll hold onto it with three hired thugs and a helicopter? Riiiight.

The first part of that works fine for me, but I think a more logical and faithful approach should probably have gone along the lines of Lex stealing the tech soon after Supes disappears and reverse engineer enough of the surface tech to file some very lucrative patents that makes him a billionaire industrialist. Much better than scamming some old lady for her inheritance. When Supes got back Luthor should have owned half of Metropolis having bought his way into respectability.
And while I'm dreaming; the obvious villain then would be something along the lines of the version of Braniac from the DCAU. That is a Kryptonian AI that was on one of the crystals. Perhaps Lex "interrogating" it for more advanced technology and it somehow escaped. Perhaps infecting someone using the crystals? Either way it'd end with an actual supervillian fight, not some real-estate scam.

Last edited by Reverend; November 7 2010 at 09:04 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote