IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old October 27 2010, 01:11 PM   #1
shauncroucher
Ensign

Rank of Doctor

Hi,

As the EMH does not wear any insignia, do we know what rank he is? Is it the same as TNG (Commander)?

Cheers
Shaun
Old October 27 2010, 01:19 PM   #2
C_Miller
Captain

Re: Rank of Doctor

He doesn't have a rank. When the ship set off, he wasn't even a member of the crew, just to be used in the case of Emergency.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 01:43 PM   #3
shauncroucher
Ensign

C_Miller wrote: View Post
He doesn't have a rank. When the ship set off, he wasn't even a member of the crew, just to be used in the case of Emergency.
So who would make the call if there was suspicion that the captain was medically unfit, also he becomes so much more than just the Emh over time?

Shaun
Old October 27 2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Sam_I_Am
Captain

View Sam_I_Am's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sam_I_Am

The Doctor still retains the authority to relieve the captain (or any other crew member) of duty if they are medically unfit. This is the same power shared by other medical officers regardless of rank (Commander* Crusher can relieve Captain Picard, Lieutenant Commander* McCoy can relieve Captain Kirk). For an example of the Doctor (EMH) trying to relieve Captain Janeway, see the episode "Year Of Hell".

* I know Doctors aren't usually referred to by rank, but I'm just demonstrating how their rank doesn't affect their power to relieve higher-ranked officers.
Old October 27 2010, 03:51 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Regardless of rank, a ships' doctor exists outside of the chain of command. I always thought a civilian doctor would be an interesting addition to one of the series. Deep Space Nine would have been a perfect fit if the series had taken place on Bajor as originally envisioned.
Old October 27 2010, 04:30 PM   #6
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Regardless of rank, a ships' doctor exists outside of the chain of command. I always thought a civilian doctor would be an interesting addition to one of the series. Deep Space Nine would have been a perfect fit if the series had taken place on Bajor as originally envisioned.
I know folks try to block it from their memories, but Phlox was a civilian on Enterprise. Not sure if the issue of him having to relieve Archer of command ever came up, I missed a lot of the second and third seasons.
Old October 27 2010, 04:35 PM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Good point. But like Enterprise, nothing really made him feel different from the other Starfleet doctors we've seen in the past.
Old October 27 2010, 05:02 PM   #8
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Would there really BE a big difference between a Fleet doctor and a civilian one? I mean, the way McCoy acted in TOS you'd think he WAS a civilian Doctor and not part of Starfleet.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
Would there really BE a big difference between a Fleet doctor and a civilian one? I mean, the way McCoy acted in TOS you'd think he WAS a civilian Doctor and not part of Starfleet.
A lot of military doctors act that way.
Old October 27 2010, 06:25 PM   #10
Anwar
Vice Admiral

That's what I mean, what would the real difference be between a civilian Doctor and McCoy's attitude?
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2010, 03:33 AM   #11
CobraCommander
Lieutenant Commander

I felt that by Season 6, Janeway should have given the doctor an officer's commission. Without being a commisioned officer, he had few rights over how the lowliest crew member could treat him and talk behind his back. By keeping him stripped of rank, she was acknowledging that he wasn't a sentient being and a full member of her crew. Cobra
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2010, 03:54 AM   #12
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

That would have made the rank of the other officers evermore meaningless since after she had alreay gaven "imaginary" provisional rank to a bunch of dirty terrorists they were forced to impersonate respect for.

Does Morale fall under the medical remit?

that would have given Neelix much much broader authority than he ever chose to use, that ipso facto in the pursuit of morale the hedgehog could even issue binding and legal orders to the Captain.

Tommy and Kes could fling about medical orders too?

How much "McCoy" is Shatner channeling in his Shit my dad Says performance since he is playing a retired navy doctor.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2010, 08:38 AM   #13
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Doctor isn't a rank, it's a medical degree. :P
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2010, 08:55 AM   #14
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

CMO is a transitory rank held by the Boss Doctor however.

It's somewhat like what Potter gave Hawkeye to boss around Charles in the Operating theatre because his rank did not reflect his skill as a meatball surgeon.

O'Brien is Chief of Operations on DS9 and Chief Engineer on the Defiant which means that he can boss around admirals if they get in the way of his speciality with crap orders but one step to his left and a third year caet can order miles to do 40 push ups.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2010, 09:55 AM   #15
The_Baron
Commander

The thing is, Crusher, Bashir, McCoy and the EMH are Doctors first, Starfleet second.

Rank is unimportant, whether they're a civilian, a cadet or an admiral, at the end of the day they're responsible for as many lives as the Commanding officer is, they hold the responsibility as to whether someone lives or dies and so in certain circumstances they get the final say regardless as to who they're talking to.

I believe the Cheif Medical Officer is the only member of crew of a ship, base, or whatever who can issue orders to anyone and can court-martial their CO if they disobey said orders regardless of how many pips they have on their own collar.
The_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote