A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 6 2010, 09:02 PM   #541
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Zombie wrote: View Post
Your problem is that the people who died during the Zombie attack didn't turn into Zombies because the group put a pick ax through their heads before they woke up.
Ah right right, they did do that didn't they. So this theory may well be valid still.

Something else I thought of after my initial post, if they weren't sure what causes the infection then what exactly was Jenner testing the blood for? I guess there are "markers" or something. Still it's a little weird.
Old December 6 2010, 10:09 PM   #542
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

"TS-19" garnered 6 million viewers (8.1 with the 11pm encore), and Robert Kirkman wishes that they "had killed more people" this season.

Michael Rooker has to return at some point, right?

We will definitely see Michael Rooker again.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 10:52 PM   #543
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

I love all the theories about the Doc's whisper but I hope it isnt "your wife's pregnant"... zzzz!
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 11:27 PM   #544
Snaploud
Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Its a bit unsettling to think that should some we have to count on the CDC to save humanity, that everyone there would pack up and run away at the first sign of problems.
Yeah, something tells me this episode won't have a lot of fans in the real CDC.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 11:43 PM   #545
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Well, the good folks at TWOP found this episode "boring:" and the whole season "overrated." They really do hate everything, don't they?
Sounds like their heads have been surgically implanted up their rectums. Zombies probably have better taste and they're mindless animals.

Just wanted to add that the season finale was awesome just like the previous 5 episodes have been. And Shane is a real douchbag. That guy is gonna be trouble.

Last edited by Jolly Good Bauer; December 7 2010 at 12:14 AM.
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2010, 12:32 AM   #546
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Jolly Good Bauer wrote: View Post
Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Well, the good folks at TWOP found this episode "boring:" and the whole season "overrated." They really do hate everything, don't they?
Sounds like their heads have been surgically implanted up their rectums. Zombies probably have better taste and they're mindless animals.

Just wanted to add that the season finale was awesome just like the previous 5 episodes have been. And Shane is a real douchbag. That guy is gonna be trouble.
I think he realized that and tried to apologize without seaming alerting Rick and the others. I kind of feel bad for Shane, with the apocalypse he was the leader until Rick showed up. Not only negated to second fiddle in the group but also with Lori. Maybe he held a passion for her that ran long before the incident. For men like Shane, loosing those things are very tough, mentally. Add alcohol to the mix and you have very poor choices made easily.

I have not read the comics, but deviations like going to CDC can easily be explained. These events happen in the time frame between issues. From what I understand, when they left the camp they went to a gated community. As long as after leaving the CDC, they end up in a gated community and more or less the events unfold that happen in the comics you have no continuity issue with the comics.

PS: Count me in as one of those who watches The Walking Dead in the daytime.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2010, 12:42 AM   #547
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Meredith wrote: View Post
A tiny Nuclear reactor in the basement would let that place run for YEARS if not a Decade or two. All you would need is one the size of one that is used in a nuclear sub and access to an underground water source like a well and that facility would be set.
Meredith wrote: View Post
Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
And perhaps they couldn't afford to crew said reactor? They don't just run on their own, ya know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba_4S

They do and are need minimal crewing and are a lot more plausible than the AI they had running in that place.
The Toshiba 4S is
1. not the size of one they use on a nuclear sub (which is the point I was arguing, not fair to move the goalposts mid-kick)
2. still under development, and therefore not available for general use anyway.
Old December 7 2010, 01:14 AM   #548
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I have not read the comics, but deviations like going to CDC can easily be explained. These events happen in the time frame between issues. From what I understand, when they left the camp they went to a gated community. As long as after leaving the CDC, they end up in a gated community and more or less the events unfold that happen in the comics you have no continuity issue with the comics.
Three problems. 1) With most of the issues, there is no passage of time between issues at all. For the most part, each issue carries on from the one directly before it. In fact, at the moment, I cannot recall a single instance where there was a passage of time between issues (though I admit my memory may be lacking, as it has been some time since I've read any issues).

2) You're simultaneously creating and trying to explain a "continuity issue" that doesn't even exist in the first place for those of us who have read the comics. We want the show to deviate. If it doesn't, if it literally adapted only what was on the printed page, there'd be no point to adapting for television at all.

3) Shane was dead at this point in the comics. How's that for a "continuity issue"?
Old December 7 2010, 01:20 AM   #549
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I'm glad my Rick is a SuperZombie theory is out there enough that nobody thought of it. I actually wondered if it was so obvious ten people would propose it before I ever got a chance. Sucks being a) on the West Coast and b) too chicken to watch the show at night.

I'm in the "give Shane a break" camp, largely because the actor is making the character sympathetic when he could really come off horribly.

I wonder if the real CDC is rigged to explode in a BIG ASS fireball?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2010, 01:35 AM   #550
Jax
Admiral

TWD made history becoming the most watched 18-49 adults show in basic cable history and the show ended its debut season with series high ratings in viewers as well.

6.1 million & 3.0 demo (4 million of them were 18-49 viewers)
dam nice.
Old December 7 2010, 01:37 AM   #551
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

^ *ahem*

Nice to see that a show like this that was "out there" in terms of risks could make a demographic record.
Old December 7 2010, 01:56 AM   #552
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Temis the Red-Nosed Vorta wrote: View Post
I'm glad my Rick is a SuperZombie theory is out there enough that nobody thought of it.
RJDonner&Blitzen wrote: View Post
The opening scenes in the hospital were indeed very strange. While he obviously wasn't laying there unattended for a whole month, given the state of the hospital, he was certainly there for a long time. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Zombie virus-- he was at death's door, but the virus jump-started him. Or perhaps he is really a Zombie, just not as far gone
Sorry.

Well, this was another great episode. It's a damn shame we have to wait a whole year for more.

While the CDC scenes were definitely inspired by Lost, they worked well-- and gave the characters a nice little breather. And I'm really happy the old guy survived. The actors on this show range from good to really good, but he is without a doubt the best.
Old December 7 2010, 02:19 AM   #553
McCoy
Commodore

Maybe the reason they took the show characters to the CDC is because it didn't happen in the comic, and people were wondering why. I mean, really, Rick made a ton of sense thinking that the CDC might still be up and running and have answers. It is their raison d'etre after all.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2010, 03:31 AM   #554
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Temis the Red-Nosed Vorta wrote: View Post
I'm glad my Rick is a SuperZombie theory is out there enough that nobody thought of it.
The opening scenes in the hospital were indeed very strange. While he obviously wasn't laying there unattended for a whole month, given the state of the hospital, he was certainly there for a long time. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Zombie virus-- he was at death's door, but the virus jump-started him. Or perhaps he is really a Zombie, just not as far gone
Sorry.

Well, this was another great episode. It's a damn shame we have to wait a whole year for more.

While the CDC scenes were definitely inspired by Lost, they worked well-- and gave the characters a nice little breather. And I'm really happy the old guy survived. The actors on this show range from good to really good, but he is without a doubt the best.
As someone mentioned, i was really thinking the newer "I am Legend" movie more than Lost (i.e. seemingly last man in the world trying to save people turned into zombies).

And add me to the "I am sooooo glad Dale survived" fan club. i was really worried he would die there. But it just shows what a great guy he is. i'm glad he made Andrea come to her senses & get out of there.

Dale, with his combination of compassion, wisdom, and weirdness, is a great character.

I also like Glenn (Steve Yeun has done a great job giving Glenn fear mixed with courage, some honest emotion), and Darryl (i really hope in the next season they have him grow as person. He seems like he slowly is...he actually looked disturbed by Carol smashing in her husband's head -- more times than Darryl did with the others!)
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2010, 03:42 AM   #555
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

One more thing I'm puzzled by. Shane pretty much watched govt troops hunting down and shooting innocent people like dogs in the opening scene. Yet he's all gung ho for the group to going rushing straight towards the nearest military base. The hell?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote