MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 6 2010, 12:43 PM   #511
watermelony2k
Vice Admiral

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Aragorn wrote: View Post
MilleniumLance wrote: View Post
wtf did jenner say!
I don't know if anyone here will get it, but he told him... "Yahoo."
"You complete me."
watermelony2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 02:43 PM   #512
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
no! No! NO!! NO Viruses!!!!

OOoooooOOoo! Be patient! I have it ALL figured out!

Pathogens do not, can not and will NEVER effect dead tissue. Pure and simple.

There is an alternate mechanism by which the Undead are reanimated which circumvents and is independent of biological pathways. It explains everything from the fact that the Walking Dead reanimate in the first place and includes explanations for why they crave human flesh, acquire a decayed appearance so rapidly and even identifies why some zombies seem to function at different levels of intelligence, a few even seeming to maintain a slight concept of "self" and perhaps vague memories. I've even worked out why the bite kills--WITHOUT the fall-back of a "virus".

The Rise of the Walking Dead was a WORLD-WIDE event that manifested simultaneously across the planet. No pathogen can do that. The situation requires the presence of an element already in the environment which is then activated by another factor. Once the Dead rise, then, yes, those people dying from bites would form a spread constellation similar to that of a highly virulent contagion, but that is misleading. There was a direct Cause/Effect incident that created the situation and it operates on a non-biological principle. At least, it is not bio-CHEMICALLY based.

Be patient. I'm putting it all together in my short book.

So did the cliffhanger contradict anything you've worked out, confirm it, or just leave it open to your book.

i hope you're able to finish the book soon...i would be VERY happy to see your ads on Trek BBS instead of the stupid AXE commercials (There ARE others that i DO click on -- the Samsung one was actually helpful)
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 03:14 PM   #513
Tom
Rear Admiral

dang it!!!!!!!! they did leave it with a cliffhanger wtf did jenner say!
If you really want to know what it is....

Lori is pregnant!!!

Remember Jenner did blood tests, and he only told Rick this. If it were something zombie related he would have told the others also. Yes, he did tell Rick earlier that there were no big surprises with the blood tests, but that is when he was planning to kill everyone, after he decides to let them go he then tells Rick.
Old December 6 2010, 03:20 PM   #514
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

You know, he could have said she's pregnant. Remember, Lori and RIck were fighting before the zombie apocalypse. If they hadn't slept together in a couple of months up until that time.....Rick's only been back a couple of days. She'd be less than a week pregnant. Would that come through on a blood test? Presumably she's done the deed with Shane for about a month. For it to have been Rick's child from before she'd have to be several months along and the actress is a bag of bones. She's obviously not in her second trimester.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 03:24 PM   #515
scnj
Captain

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
no! No! NO!! NO Viruses!!!!

OOoooooOOoo! Be patient! I have it ALL figured out!

Pathogens do not, can not and will NEVER effect dead tissue. Pure and simple.

There is an alternate mechanism by which the Undead are reanimated which circumvents and is independent of biological pathways. It explains everything from the fact that the Walking Dead reanimate in the first place and includes explanations for why they crave human flesh, acquire a decayed appearance so rapidly and even identifies why some zombies seem to function at different levels of intelligence, a few even seeming to maintain a slight concept of "self" and perhaps vague memories. I've even worked out why the bite kills--WITHOUT the fall-back of a "virus".

The Rise of the Walking Dead was a WORLD-WIDE event that manifested simultaneously across the planet. No pathogen can do that. The situation requires the presence of an element already in the environment which is then activated by another factor. Once the Dead rise, then, yes, those people dying from bites would form a spread constellation similar to that of a highly virulent contagion, but that is misleading. There was a direct Cause/Effect incident that created the situation and it operates on a non-biological principle. At least, it is not bio-CHEMICALLY based.

Be patient. I'm putting it all together in my short book.
Is there really any need to keep harping on and on about this? Nearly every post I've seen from you in this thread is going on about this 'alternate idea' thing that you have, but until you tell us what it is, there's absolutely no discussion value to it. It feels more like you're desperately advertising your book before actually having released it.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 03:39 PM   #516
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Well, the good folks at TWOP found this episode "boring:" and the whole season "overrated." They really do hate everything, don't they?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 04:18 PM   #517
Morpheus 02
Commodore

watermelony2k wrote: View Post
wtf did jenner say!
"You complete me."
Can someone get a screen cap so we can have a caption contest?

My submission:

"Twinkies don't REALLY last forever..."
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 04:32 PM   #518
Snaploud
Admiral

Wouldn't it already be obvious that all dead people come back as zombies (if it is indeed true on this show)? That's a rather hard thing not to figure out by this point in the apocalypse, though they get a little bit of slack given that it takes between two and eight hours to turn...

I'm not sure I buy the timing of all this, though. It might make sense that some of the research locations would run out of fuel, but aren't a lot of military bases designed to run for years post-nuclear explosion? It really hasn't been that long post-apocalypse. Is it possible that the really-secret locations kept their mouths shut in order to keep safe?
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 04:33 PM   #519
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
dang it!!!!!!!! they did leave it with a cliffhanger wtf did jenner say!
If you really want to know what it is....

Lori is pregnant!!!

Remember Jenner did blood tests, and he only told Rick this. If it were something zombie related he would have told the others also. Yes, he did tell Rick earlier that there were no big surprises with the blood tests, but that is when he was planning to kill everyone, after he decides to let them go he then tells Rick.
Nice pickup. Didn't even consider that even though I knew the progression of the comic. That's probably it.
Old December 6 2010, 04:34 PM   #520
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
watermelony2k wrote: View Post

"You complete me."
Can someone get a screen cap so we can have a caption contest?

My submission:

"Twinkies don't REALLY last forever..."
"Rosebud"
Old December 6 2010, 04:59 PM   #521
Meredith
Vice Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Wouldn't it already be obvious that all dead people come back as zombies (if it is indeed true on this show)? That's a rather hard thing not to figure out by this point in the apocalypse, though they get a little bit of slack given that it takes between two and eight hours to turn...

I'm not sure I buy the timing of all this, though. It might make sense that some of the research locations would run out of fuel, but aren't a lot of military bases designed to run for years post-nuclear explosion? It really hasn't been that long post-apocalypse. Is it possible that the really-secret locations kept their mouths shut in order to keep safe?

A tiny Nuclear reactor in the basement would let that place run for YEARS if not a Decade or two. All you would need is one the size of one that is used in a nuclear sub and access to an underground water source like a well and that facility would be set.
Old December 6 2010, 05:25 PM   #522
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Meredith wrote: View Post

A tiny Nuclear reactor in the basement would let that place run for YEARS if not a Decade or two. All you would need is one the size of one that is used in a nuclear sub and access to an underground water source like a well and that facility would be set.
Perhaps the NRC wouldn't give them permission to put a nuclear reactor in Atlanta?
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 06:25 PM   #523
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

And perhaps they couldn't afford to crew said reactor? They don't just run on their own, ya know.
Old December 6 2010, 06:37 PM   #524
Zombie
Fleet Captain

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
And perhaps they couldn't afford to crew said reactor? They don't just run on their own, ya know.
Yes they do. The one I have under my hou......

Nevermind........

Old December 6 2010, 07:01 PM   #525
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Wouldn't it already be obvious that all dead people come back as zombies?
Only the ones who aren't shot in the head! Seriously, not all dead people do come back as zombies. Some things are obvious for the main characters, like when a zombie's brain is destroyed. Others, not so much without serious clinical observation. The characters just haven't had a chance to figure out all the rules.

The timing of all this does seem really dodgy. There's the existing issues that everyone keeps bringing up. Rick's survival in the hospital bed for an uncertain number of days, and the encampment running out of food and gas (and duct tape) even though there should be canned goods and vehicles galore throughout the city. There are so few living people around that there is no way the survivors could possibly have consumed it all in a couple months.

But there are new issues. How long did it take the caravan to reach the CDC? One day? Granted that it took a while to repair Dale's hose, I can forgive the timing even though it's in the same city. But as far as I can tell, they left the morning after the attack... and that was the morning after the fish fry. And they told Jenner they hadn't had any food for two or three days? What?

Plus, Jenner's reaction to the destruction of his samples was really odd. He must have known the total self-destruct was only a day away, so why get so upset right then? Unless he was on the verge of a cure, I'm surprised he would even care.

Of course, maybe he had several months' worth of fuel before the group showed up. They must have REALLY used up the hot water!
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote