Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 1 2010, 03:35 PM   #436
SicOne
Commodore

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Tom wrote: View Post
SicOne wrote: View Post
I would be remiss if I didn't take this opportunity, mods allowing, to shamelessly plug Comic Book Supermarket, where you can pick up Walking Dead and all of your favorite comics at 35% off every day, and they bag and board them for free...I don't know how much shipping costs, though.
I will fly to Nebraska to get some then..lol
They will ship to you, which should save you in air fare.

Not to mention the incredible carry-on cost as you try to get several long comic boxes onto the plane...
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2010, 03:38 PM   #437
SicOne
Commodore

joVuNik wrote: View Post
So why (maybe from the comics explanation) do they call the zombies geeks??? Is there a story behind that?
I don't think they referred to them as geeks in the comic series, but in some zombie-apocalypse short fiction the Zs are called "geeks".
Old December 1 2010, 05:08 PM   #438
Landed
Lieutenant

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
PsychoPere wrote: View Post
The other, and even bigger, piece of news is that Darabont is considering not having a writing staff for season two. Instead, he is apparently thinking about having all thirteen scripts for next season come from freelancers, likely with himself either co-writing or doing rewrites on each episode as he did this season. The article also states that he has already let go the season one writing staff.
That's very odd, considering how well the show did, both in terms of quality and ratings. I wonder if he didn't get along with them or something.
This season, Darabont wrote two of the episodes himself. Two more were written by freelancers not on staff. And of the remaining two, Darabont cowrote/rewrote.

Seems to me that the "staff" was pretty useless.
Landed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2010, 07:05 PM   #439
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Having that much involvement in the final scripts doesn't necessarily mean that the writing staff was useless in breaking the stories while in the writers' room. Also, writing and/or co-writing and/or re-writing four episodes would seem to be significantly different than taking on a similar task for a thirteen episode season.

Kurt Sutter, creator of FX's Sons of Anarchy and a definite fan of The Walking Dead so far, thinks that Darabont would be making a mistake to not have a writing staff next season.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2010, 09:29 PM   #440
Landed
Lieutenant

Having that much involvement in the final scripts doesn't necessarily mean that the writing staff was useless in breaking the stories while in the writers' room. Also, writing and/or co-writing and/or re-writing four episodes would seem to be significantly different than taking on a similar task for a thirteen episode season.
I think he's up to the task. This is Frank we're talking about, not Joss Whedon.

Kurt Sutter, creator of FX's Sons of Anarchy and a definite fan of The Walking Dead so far, thinks that Darabont would be making a mistake to not have a writing staff next season.
He could always hire one a few eps in if he ends up in over his head.
Old December 1 2010, 09:42 PM   #441
Aragorn
Admiral

Why would he end up over his head? George Lucas wrote the Star Wars prequels all by himself!
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2010, 10:04 PM   #442
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Landed wrote: View Post
I think he's up to the task. This is Frank we're talking about, not Joss Whedon.
Bad example to use with me, because I'd be more confident of success if we were talking about Joss Whedon. Of course, Aaron Sorkin burned himself out trying to do the same thing on The West Wing, resulting in increasing production costs due to late scripts. If Sorkin couldn't hack it, why should I be confident that Darabont can? You could also ask J. Michael Straczynski about the hazards of trying to write entire seasons on your own. A writing staff is there for more than just breaking the stories and writing the scripts; the writers are there to tell one another when they're trying to move forward with a bad idea. If Darabont has no other writers on the series, the only people left are the other producers. I think it's a bad idea.
Old December 1 2010, 10:36 PM   #443
Snaploud
Admiral

Also, writing and/or co-writing and/or re-writing four episodes would seem to be significantly different than taking on a similar task for a thirteen episode season.
On the other hand, it's not as if he has to start from scratch. He has a lot of material he can take from the comics. In fact, one could argue that this show is designed especially for freelancers. The work-for-hire writers can always read the comics to avoid any concerns about misunderstanding the tone or direction of the series.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2010, 10:52 PM   #444
Landed
Lieutenant

Bad example to use with me, because I'd be more confident of success if we were talking about Joss Whedon.
Disagree. Wheedon is great at creating entire universes and coming up with general ideas about story arcs, but, when he actually writes scripts, the guy is this generation's George Lucas.
Old December 1 2010, 11:02 PM   #445
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post
On the other hand, it's not as if he has to start from scratch. He has a lot of material he can take from the comics. In fact, one could argue that this show is designed especially for freelancers. The work-for-hire writers can always read the comics to avoid any concerns about misunderstanding the tone or direction of the series.
True, which is why I think it's a bad idea, rather than going farther and calling it a terrible idea. In fact, it makes me wonder if season two won't routinely wander off the roadmap of the comics if he goes with freelancers.
Old December 2 2010, 12:40 AM   #446
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
The other, and even bigger, piece of news is that Darabont is considering not having a writing staff for season two. Instead, he is apparently thinking about having all thirteen scripts for next season come from freelancers, likely with himself either co-writing or doing rewrites on each episode as he did this season. The article also states that he has already let go the season one writing staff.
That's very odd, considering how well the show did, both in terms of quality and ratings. I wonder if he didn't get along with them or something.
This season, Darabont wrote two of the episodes himself. Two more were written by freelancers not on staff. And of the remaining two, Darabont cowrote/rewrote.

Seems to me that the "staff" was pretty useless.
Ah, that could explain it.

As for the guy taking on too much, he's got almost a year to get the scripts into shape.
Old December 2 2010, 01:36 AM   #447
SicOne
Commodore

I'm more worried that S2 of Walking Dead will wander all over the map like Battlestar Galactica did. A "plan" that turned to crap.
Old December 2 2010, 07:12 AM   #448
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I don't think there's a problem with writing all the scripts himself time wise as it's only 13 episodes as opposed to 24 or 26.
Old December 2 2010, 10:44 PM   #449
Aeon
Commander

Presents Galore wrote: View Post
Loved seeing the sister wake up as a zombie.
It was eerie. Almost like watching someone being born. Very strange and also incredibly bittersweet.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2010, 01:28 AM   #450
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Aeon wrote: View Post
Presents Galore wrote: View Post
Loved seeing the sister wake up as a zombie.
It was eerie. Almost like watching someone being born. Very strange and also incredibly bittersweet.
That's an apt observation since she rose as a zombie on her birthday.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote