RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,401
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 618
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 29 2010, 05:52 AM   #391
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Jenner in the CDC looks like Kevin Tighe from Emergency! back in the day. Too young, though.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 05:54 AM   #392
Agent Richard07
Admiral

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
CDC scene kind of had a Desmond/Swan hatch vibe to it.
Now that you mention it, yeah, it does.

I just missed the encore presentation. Scientist guy said something about 194 days/6 months. What exactly did he say?
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 05:58 AM   #393
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I think he said 63 days since the virus suddenly went global. One hundred and something days since operation Wildfire was declared? I'm certain about the 63 days since it went global. Apparently the military or CDC tried something 100 odd days ago (4 to 6 months) and it "got out" about 2 months ago and devastated the population of the planet.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 06:55 AM   #394
SG-17
Commodore

Huh, Wildfire is the name of the secret biological facility where the alien lifeform was being studied in The Andromeda Strain.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 07:13 AM   #395
Meredith
Vice Admiral

SG-17 wrote: View Post
Huh, Wildfire is the name of the secret biological facility where the alien lifeform was being studied in The Andromeda Strain.

The Zombie Virus is an extraterrestrial virus intended to wipe out mankind, it was "sent" to earth in a mock crash that occurred in Roswell 1947. Basically the Zombie virus is written to earth human physiology and has genetic code to re-write the brain to turn the infected into disease vectors. It is written to be only blood borne so when the aliens arrive to take over in a decade they don't have to worry about an air borne virus and it will have burned itself out.

The virus reprograms the body to use itself as energy and will keep doing so until it is consumed. Eating living flesh is just a directive programmed into the brain by the virus to help it's spread as a vector, but notice they only eat living or freshly killed flesh that is to prevent your disease vectors from wiping each other out.
Old November 29 2010, 07:26 AM   #396
Meredith
Vice Admiral

Trek4Ever wrote: View Post
Cutter John wrote: View Post
And my favorite bit:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/276900/evil2.jpg

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I knew that open encampment was a bad idea.
They should've been fine since they'd strung empty cans on strings all around the encampment. I'm thinking something, or someone with a grudge disarmed the alarm.
Never mind the cans why couldn't they leave someone to keep an eye out while everyone else was having a good old time during the campout!?
You know what I would do, I would make everyone sleep at sundown and sleep in the vehicles around the campsite. You would have more time the zombies wandered into camp, they would have to bang and clang on the doors and by that time some of the men could get out their guns and shoot them. Ideally I would get a freight semi and use that as a sleeping quarters instead of camping out in tents. If you are going to sleep in tents at least "circle the wagons" aka. the vehicles and use them for defense.

They are Too Dumb to Live.
Old November 29 2010, 07:55 AM   #397
Meredith
Vice Admiral

http://www.cracked.com/article_18683...l-quickly.html
Old November 29 2010, 08:05 AM   #398
Aragorn
Admiral

First Kick-Ass uses the Sunshine score straight up and now The Walking Dead?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 08:25 AM   #399
Snaploud
Admiral

Funny stuff...Though, obviously, it assumes that transmission is only via blood (as one of its main points).
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 08:44 AM   #400
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

Loved, LOVED the episode. Will be sad to see it end next week as it is by far my personal favourite new series this season.
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 10:31 AM   #401
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I can't wait to see them explain how a virus can animate dead tissue with coordination and intent.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Like most of sci fi (HAH! )
This is exactly why the Sci Fi Channel rebranded to SyFy: "Science Fiction, Horror, Paranormal, Wrestling-- like, whatever, dude."
No, it was because they couldn't trademark a generic term like Sci Fi. Do you honestly think skiffy cares about safeguarding the precise definition of sci fi? They had all that non-sci-fi crap long before they changed their name.
Exactly. Their name devolved to meet their low standards. You should be against low standards, not perpetuating them.
Old November 29 2010, 05:13 PM   #402
SicOne
Commodore

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
But Shane doesn't even exhibit any signs of guilt that he screwed Rick's wife. I realize he's only human and he can't completely turn off his feelings that he might have developed for Lori, but it had to have been less than a month that Rick was gone or he would have starved in the hospital. He developed feelings for her that are that strong in such a short time that he suddenly hates Rick? There's no joy that his supposed best friend is alive and wasn't killed? No embarrassment that he was nailing his wife? There should be some conflicted feelings shaping Shane's behavior toward Rick as opposed to mere confrontation. There's no good to go along with the bad. Shane couldn't have loved Rick very much if this is how he's acting now.

Shane is not a good guy. He must have always been jealous of him.
We don't know how long Shane and Lori might have been screwing. It could very well predate the zombiepocalypse.

I'd have to dig the comics out of storage, but IIRC in the comics they didn't start screwing until after the dead began walking, when neither of them thought he was still alive.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 05:15 PM   #403
SicOne
Commodore

You'll have to pardon me if these questions have already been asked, as I don't have time this morning to drift through 20-odd pages of discussion, but...

(1) Are the characters of Merle and his brother in the comics?

(2) How about the Vatos?

(3) In the comics, did they ever go by the CDC to check things out? Or did they just leave Atlanta as soon as they could scrounge some supplies?

(4) Have we seen what became of Merle? Last I remember seeing, he had cauterized his wound and driven off with their truck.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 06:27 PM   #404
MilleniumLance
Captain

SicOne wrote: View Post
You'll have to pardon me if these questions have already been asked, as I don't have time this morning to drift through 20-odd pages of discussion, but...

(1) Are the characters of Merle and his brother in the comics?

(2) How about the Vatos?

(3) In the comics, did they ever go by the CDC to check things out? Or did they just leave Atlanta as soon as they could scrounge some supplies?

(4) Have we seen what became of Merle? Last I remember seeing, he had cauterized his wound and driven off with their truck.
ok im up to issue 56 now to answer your questions
1.No made up for the show
2.No made up for the show
3.No CDC in the comics, after the attack and some other "events" the pack up camp and leave and find a gated community of homes and stay there for a night but not til morning they find out out the community isnt safe. Them leaving Jim against the tree is straight out of the comic though.
4. As said before Merle is character made for the tv series.

Last edited by MilleniumLance; November 29 2010 at 09:45 PM.
MilleniumLance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2010, 06:38 PM   #405
Tom
Rear Admiral

It's great the plot is not completly spoiled by those who read the comics.